• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MrSheepy

MrSheepy
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 2,467
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

Hy, first of all please exceuse my (sometimes) bad English. Im from Germany so please be patient with me.

I found this pocket with other WWII Stuff I stored away, cause I ran out of room in my old workroom. Please can you help me Identify this one, if its WWII Erea or later? The Button is stamped with "KlikIt" a Star and "PULL". The Edges inside are enhanced with leather and the backside Strip holder ist made of Brass. No other stamps or markings are readible any more!

A normal Pistol Belt fits through the Backside holder but there are no fixing for hooks.

I would be glad if someone can help me out with this one!

Regards, Carsten

Attached Images

• Pocket.jpg
  • Button.jpg
  • Backside.jpg

#2 Pops506th

Pops506th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,911
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:49 AM

It is a first type M43 entrenching tool carrier, but the original hook assembly has been removed and replaced with a different type of hanger system.

#3 glenm

glenm
  • Members
    • Member ID: 353
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

It's a WWII US one (1st type as Pops says above) that has been repaired and modified post-war by the Dutch Army. If you're handy with a sewing machine and have the belt hook, it can quite easily be modded back of course!

Cheers,
Glen.

#4 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 92
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

Don't know if the Dutch did this too, but the Belgian Armed Forces sure used these altered carriers. I did Basic in 1982 and carried my 1943! Ames shovel in a similar carrier.
It was attached to a British Pattern 37 Small pack, that had had an extra tab added on the flap, and a strap to hold the shovel handle on the lower pack.

I still have that shovel in my collection, and I dug several foxholes in the Ardennes with it.... :D

#5 glenm

glenm
  • Members
    • Member ID: 353
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

Ohh... maybe they're Belgian then, Johan, as you say. I figured they were Dutch as I bought a load of transitional ones with this mod at a surplus store in northern Holland on the way to Texel.

Suppose the "'37 Pattern" buckle makes more sense with the Belgian gear, mind you.

Cheers,
Glen.

#6 MrSheepy

MrSheepy
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 2,467
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:15 PM

Ok, then I will watch for a belt hook. I think a Repro one will do it also, but maybe im lucky and Dig one up on the weekend :D .

Thanks for your help so far!

#7 coolman

coolman

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 1,662
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

it is belgian...the belgians also had a local made copy of the e-tool cover as well as altered original american ones...the market is flooded with these today & they sale very cheap

#8 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 706 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:18 AM

This forum came through again! An old thread, but still useful. I saw one of these covers in a shop and was wondering what the heck it was.  I was tempted to buy it for 12 bucks but decided to do some research here first.  If I thought it was altered US, I'd still pick it up, but think it is European made.  Maybe I'll go take another look at it. 

Mikie

#9 earlymb

earlymb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 80
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:50 AM

If the LTD-button says 'klik hier' it's for certain Dutch. They did an exact copy of the first pattern M43 shovel cover (with fixed hook) but in OD webbing.

#10 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:10 AM

I went back on Saturday to take another look at the covers.  In the pile there were 3 of the modified covers.  One had the Klik fastener and two has the US type.  But at the bottom of the pile (I've learned ALWAYS check the bottom of the pile) I found this unmodified first pattern cover visibly dated 1943.  I grabbed it for 11 bucks.  As I said before, these old threads are a valuable resource.  I wasn't really aware of this pattern cover until I found this tread, now I've got one.  Darn it though, now I'll need to find a 1943 dated shovel.  I already have a 1944 dated set.  Do I really need a 1943 one?  Of course!  Sometime I hate collecting.

Thanks for all the info!

Mikie 

Attached Images

• Shovel cover back.JPG
  • Shovel cover date.JPG

#11 earlymb

earlymb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 80
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Nice find! 1943 dated M43 shovels are scarce too, though... But it pays to check every one in the pile, that's how I got mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)