Vietnam "LaGana" Tomahawk, question...

digi-shots

Just wondered if any of the forum members here had an actual vintage Tomahawk made by the late Pete LaGana?

If you do, could you please post some pics!

Thanks for the link. Hmmm... it does look interesting. I wish they had more close up pics.

And I agree with you... I'd really like to see some detailed photos of the real thing. I think there were a couple of versions. There has to be some surviving models somewhere.

Here's one that sold earlier this month:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VIETNAM-WAR-TYPE-US-ARMY-TOMAHAWK-COMBAT-HATCHET-/251315373897?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a83904749&nma=true&si=NO2EBy577cUKDAOioZNozmPZOqw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_721wt_917

I got interested in the Vietnam Tomahawks a few years ago and began to read everything I could about them. I finally was able to get two of the LaGana first models, one has been there and done that and the other one appears to have never been used. There were 500 of these first models produced. They were not painted and had a sheath with the company name embossed. He began to receive feedback from the soldiers that they needed to be painted for better camouflage and so the second model came out and the sheath color was also changed to an ox blood. I believe there were some 3500 to 3800 made in total during the Vietnam time frame. I have talked to many Vietnam veterans and have only found one that carried a tomahawk and the one he had was made by the Montagnards. There was another hawk produced late in the War by a fellow named Hess, not much is known about him but his hawks are painted green, have a little longer handle and the heads are a little smaller than the LaGana's.

Tommy aka rcranch

post-93122-0-94958100-1377545001.jpg

post-93122-0-84579200-1377545587.jpg

• 4 years later...
Parrisisland69

​In regard to the question about "does anyone have a LaGana tomahawk original? I was a Marine grunt from '69-'73 and I still have mine from Nam. Kept it in a "junk" box of my military gear until I found out it was the rarest of edged weapons from the war. Mine is "used" and shows the wear from where I carried it. About ten per cent of the paint has worn off from the handle., but you would expect that from one that was carried and used. The head cover says "Manufactured by the American Tomahawk Co- Ebensberg PA" . By the way, it does not have a hole in the handle for a lanyard.​ I will post photos if anyone is interested.

"if anyone is interested." Now that sounds like a trick question to me. :) I think there are more than a few of us who would be interested. Welcome aboard.

Parrisisland69

Attached (if I know what I'm doing!) are photos of the "Hawk" I carried as a Marine in 1969. These were "expendable" items. That is, you didn't have to sign for them from the armorer/supply and they did not a expect a return from the individual Marine. As I said in my original post, I threw it in a box and forgot about it until I saw an article in a magazine about ten years ago and the article stated this was the rarest of edged weapons from Nam and very few remain in existence. I think I would like to donate it to the Museum of the Marines at Quantico to use in one of their dioramas. Maybe put it on the Marine at Hue. I'm afraid they will throw it on a shelf in a back room and forget it. Time will tell.

post-175796-0-77527400-1515518091.jpg

post-175796-0-49997800-1515518192.jpg

post-175796-0-51864200-1515518222.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures. IMHO, you should include information about when and where you served when you donate it back. From a Marine back to the Marine Corps. The person processing may not immediately recognize it for what it is, but people at the museum will know it's significance. Great piece with the sheath.

I was surprized to read this was an issue item, expendable or otherwise, I thought these were private purchase items. I really appreciate the information you posted.

Attached (if I know what I'm doing!) are photos of the "Hawk" I carried as a Marine in 1969. These were "expendable" items. That is, you didn't have to sign for them from the armorer/supply and they did not a expect a return from the individual Marine. As I said in my original post, I threw it in a box and forgot about it until I saw an article in a magazine about ten years ago and the article stated this was the rarest of edged weapons from Nam and very few remain in existence. I think I would like to donate it to the Museum of the Marines at Quantico to use in one of their dioramas. Maybe put it on the Marine at Hue. I'm afraid they will throw it on a shelf in a back room and forget it. Time will tell.

Thank you for posting.Always great to see veteran carried items.

• 3 months later...

Parisisland69.... I just saw your post... thanks for taking the time to answer and post your pics,

I appreciate it!