Engraved WW1 Victory Medals, got one?

LuftStalg1

Although Jon was awarded the Victory Medal he was not at the time aboard the USS Aroostook during the war. Still he would have had to have been in the Navy maybe somewhere in the United States to receive the medal. This would also explain the reason for the missing "Mine Laying" clasp that would have been attach to the medal had he been a crew member of the ship during the war.

When the Victory medals were being issued your present command, if still in the service would forward your request for your medal as was the case with Jon Tsugi. CK is rate for cook

I have copies of all of Jon Tsugi's service records. He was on the cruiser USS Pittsburgh for the entire war (Feb 1917 to Jan 1920). The Pittsburgh qualified for the Patrol bar but there is no record in Tsugi's file that he ever received this bar before his death in August 1921. Apparently on occasion the Navy issued Victory Medals without bars and then issued the bars separately at a later date. I have copies of quite a bit of correspondence that confirms this.

I am sure you have many correspondence on Jon, but what is interesting, is the ship, USS Aroostook issued his medal and the Yeomen on the Aroostook would have had Jon previous record of service on the USS Pittsburgh? So was the Yeomen in error when he sent off for Jon medal? Is this why the return receipt was never returned to the Navy Bureau but filed away in Jon service jacket awaiting the proper medal with clasp. As you said he died months later?

Here is a directive - dealing with the victory medal

ALNAV are messages that are directed to all Navy units and the Marine Corps

I am sure you have many correspondence on Jon, but what is interesting, is the ship, USS Aroostook issued his medal and the Yeomen on the Aroostook would have had Jon previous record of service on the USS Pittsburgh? So was the Yeomen in error when he sent off for Jon medal? Is this why the return receipt was never returned to the Navy Bureau but filed away in Jon service jacket awaiting the proper medal with clasp. As you said he died months later?

Here is a directive - dealing with the victory medal

attachicon.gifc.jpg

ALNAV are messages that are directed to all Navy units and the Marine Corps

Do you or Adam have photos of the engraving for this Victory medal? That is what I started this thread for.

Thanks,

Mark D

"Do you or Adam have photos of the engraving for this Victory medal? That is what I started this thread for."

No, I don't have the VM that goes with this letter. I only have Tsugi's Good Conduct Medal. I posted the letter to show the Navy authorization for having VMs engraved.

Getting back on track… Here’s one that I used to own. (Sold on eBay in 2006.)

The publication “Ohio Soldiers, Sailors and Marines, World War 1917-18” lists Frank R. Aiken of Leetonia Ohio as born on 1 October 1888. He enlisted in the National Army on 25 July 1918 and served in the AEF with Battery D of the 11th Field Artillery, 6th Division, from September 1918 to June 1919. The 11th F.A. was composed of the heavy 155mm guns.

post-10651-0-38589200-1378746393.jpg

post-10651-0-21940500-1378746403.jpg

Must give credit to some of the engravers of the day. Some of the lettering is just beautiful. They can write better than me on the narrow edge than I can on a piece of paper.

Must give credit to some of the engravers of the day. Some of the lettering is just beautiful. They can write better than me on the narrow edge than I can on a piece of paper.

Amen to that!

• 5 years later...

I picked this up in mid November and just confirmed his identity. Out of the few engraved vics ive had, this is by far my favorite one.

Sargent Major Emmons Walker Leroy

Born: Waldo, Wisconsin on April 12, 1893

Died: Alhambra, California on November 2, 1987

He served in the National Guard with the 2nd Wisconsin 3rd Division. In 1918, he served with Co. A. 331st MG BN 86th division, and lastly HQ detachment, 9th MG BN in 1919.

Im not currently aware of his full service but appears he served 1915-1919. Last known rank as stated above was Sgt Maj.

e33d002a8f86834fcef675dfbcd45ac4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...