8 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:02 AM

I've seen these for years described as "USMC" T handle shovels. Except for the blade reinforcement they appear to be made to the standard US milspec and are unmarked which is consistent with a USMC contract item. But nobody seems to be able to positively ID them as Marine Corps. Any thoughts on this?

MVC_037S.JPG
MVC_038S.JPG
MVC_039S.JPG

#2 bilko *Deceased*

bilko *Deceased*

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 39
  • 786 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:54 AM

I never say never but it is my opinion they are interwar made as they are far more sturdy than the war dated [mass produced type]. Do you guys see many of this type on your side of the pond? The one I have is the only one over here I've seen.

Picture_262.jpg

#3 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 9,505 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:14 PM

Shovel_Plans.jpg

You are asking a question that lots of people would like answered. I personally have never been able to trace anything on these. All I can show you as a contribution here is the blueprints for the M-1910 shovel, there are several dates on this sheet copied in 1913 from the 1910 plans, approved in 1918, sheet 7, and made Obsolete but no date given for that. The plans are full size, i.e. lay a real shovel on the plans and it's exact to size.

#4 robinb

robinb

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 61
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

I bet that over the last 35 years of collecting, I've had at least a hundred M1910 shovels pass through my hands. I have never found one that looks quite like this one. Maybe they are European manufacture?

#5 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:23 AM

I got mine from a west coast ebay "power seller" who claimed he's acquired a quantity of them and they had USMC provenance. But this guy, who shall remain unnamed, has zero credibility with me. And I've seen two being sold by dealers here in the southeast, in both cases labeled as "USMC".

It's definitely made to the US milspec and is completely unmarked. I would think that if made for a foreign military there'd be some sort of markings on them. And there's a lot of logic to the case for them being USMC. Being unmarked and not having the "US" stamp for one thing, and being reinforced, for another. Digging a fox hole on a coral atoll, or at least trying to do so, must have busted up quite a few standard t handled shovels. But we have no evidence to prove any of this.....and may never have any. In the meantime I keep it put away with a USMC shovel cover on it.

Greg

#6 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 115
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

I am lucky enough to have three of this type of shovel as pictured in your opening post, Greg. They all meet the specs you stated. Back reenforced. the same shade of forrest green paint, and unmarked. I believe I know who you are talking about, but mine did not come from that source. One did come in a WW1 dated shovel cover that I believe was original to the shovel. As many know, the Marines did recieve issues of WW1 era web gear all throughout the war, but I'm sure the Army did also.

#7 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:47 AM

I dont wanna spoil the party Greg, but haven't you considered the "gardner special"? I bought 20 years ago in a big store an exact unmarked copy of the pliable US e.t. with foldable pick added. I'm still use it in my garden.

#8 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:59 AM

Absolutely....the Marines used a lot of left over WW1 gear during WW2...more so than the Army

#9 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:00 AM

I dont wanna spoil the party Greg, but haven't you considered the "gardner special"? I bought 20 years ago in a big store an exact unmarked copy of the pliable US e.t. with foldable pick added. I'm still use it in my garden.

I've thought of that as not only a possibility but a definite probability

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)