Navy ribbon on Army Uniform?

Spooky976

Hi guys

Recently I buyed a blue dress uniform, for a veteran vietnam soldier. I noticed that the uniform wears the Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation with a star. This scared me :blink: and I want to ask if an army guy would be authorized to wear this ribbon if he was previously awarded as sailor/marine in the Navy/USMC , or if is possible that an army unit could receive the navy ribbon under some strange circunstance.

Or maybe the ribbon is not from the uniform...a fake :unsure:

I think that´s the correct section for this question, if not, my apologies

Thanks in advance

post-110510-0-26566400-1376854494.jpg

I wouldn't be to concerned about it. I don't know the reason behind them being awarded to army personnel in Vietnam, but I've seen it before.

Here is a photo of an unattributed army rack in my collection with two awards.

4EE93801-6F7D-4F4D-B2CB-B953D58AE5D8-359

When I was on active duty in the Navy - the command I was attached to was located on Lackland AFB. Lackland earned the USAF Outstanding Unit Award. Because I the command I was attached to was a tenant command of Lackland, we were entitled to the ribbon also. So, that ribbon is on my ribbon rack.

That being said I don't find it all that odd that someone from another branch of service is wearing another branches ribbon. (Also the person may have been prior service from another branch)

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Bothe racks look fine.There were several Army units in WW2 that received Navy commendations and the same for Vietnam.In WW2 the 23rd Inf Division and Vietnam the 9th Infantry Division come to mind.That second rack is really nice.I like how it has in country made Vietnam service and Campaign made ribbons.I wonder if the original owner was at Inchon or with the 187th RCT, arrowhead assault credit.

Except an Army guy is supposed to wear all unit awards on the right side. This goes for the unit awards of the other services awarded to Army units, too.

Except an Army guy is supposed to wear all unit awards on the right side. This goes for the unit awards of the other services awarded to Army units, too.

DUH! I forgot about that.You are 100% correct.

Ohhhps, a good fact, thanks for share.

An infantry officer with three stars on his V campaign medal would likely have a few more ribbons than this. And not many officers wore marksmanship badges, though it was authorized. I just don't see this as an original rack to a Vietnam infantry combat veteran IMO.