What Patch Is He Wearing.

patches

X_redcatcher

Here's a another Topic of the type we post from time to time, a photo of a Soldier wearing a Shoulder Patch that we can not determine up front, and we see what other interested members think.

This one here of a Group of Generals among Troops of the New Trieste Force, TRUST, Bradley we see being the most familar, this photo is believed to be taken in 1946 or 1947, The one officer at the right may be Mark Clark, the one in the center may be Keyes, in fact it's a good chance it is Keyes, we see this Gen is wearing Cav boots, and Keyes was from the Cav, but what patch is does he got on?

attachicon.gifBradley.jpg

There was never a member of the 2nd ACR wore that rank (Lt Gen), thats for sure. Most of the commanders were Col's and thats it. Brig Gen Holder from the 1st Gulf War was the exception.

• 4 years later...

Here's a another Topic of the type we post from time to time, a photo of a Soldier wearing a Shoulder Patch that we can not determine up front, and we see what other interested members think.

This one here of a Group of Generals among Troops of the New Trieste Force, TRUST, Bradley we see being the most familar, this photo is believed to be taken in 1946 or 1947, The one officer at the right may be Mark Clark, the one in the center may be Keyes, in fact it's a good chance it is Keyes, we see this Gen is wearing Cav boots, and Keyes was from the Cav, but what patch is does he got on?

attachicon.gifBradley.jpg

The smaller guy in the middle is my father. I can barely make out 3 strips on his sleeve. I know this picture was not taken in the 40's. He was in the Navy then and stationed in the Azores. He Arrived in Trieste with 2 stripes and got his 3rd after April 1951. So this picture is probably middle of 1951. When I arrive in January 1952 he was an E-7. Can't help with the patch.

The Game is a Foot Again if True Blueduster.

If I uploaded the picture correctly, This is my dad sometime prior to Oct 1953 wearing the First Sgt stripes. Above his ribbons is his Navy wings earned during WWII. We were evacuated back to the US Oct 14th, 1953

From April 50 to April 53 He went from E4 to E7.

I'm pretty sure That is my dad in your picture and the real tall one looks the same in both pictures.

post-261030-0-66933800-1571250072.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

88th InfDiv TRIESTE United States Troops would be my guess. Wasn't the tab TRUST?

Absolutely correct

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

88th InfDiv TRIESTE United States Troops would be my guess. Wasn't the tab TRUST?

Yes the tab was TRUST. I still have some worn by my dad. Those in the picture are The 351st Infantry Regiment, part of the 88th.

If I uploaded the picture correctly, This is my dad sometime prior to Oct 1953 wearing the First Sgt stripes. Above his ribbons is his Navy wings earned during WWII. We were evacuated back to the US Oct 14th, 1953

From April 50 to April 53 He went from E4 to E7.

I'm pretty sure That is my dad in your picture and the real tall one looks the same in both pictures.

attachicon.giftrieste-3small.jpg

Lets do a Recap here on what we know on this photo, because with all due respect the date of being in the 50s are not adding up with the historical figures in the photo, and on further examination the insignia worn by the EMs.

Three Generals in post #1, the consensus being they are Gen. Omar Bradley, Lt. Gen. John C.H. Lee, and Maj. Gen. Bryant Moore.

Gen. Bradley was head of VA from August 1945 until he was appointed Army Chief of Staff in February 1948. (see post #1)

Lt. Gen. John C. H. Lee was acting Allied Commander-in-Chief of Allied Forces Headquarters and commander of U.S. Forces in the Mediterranean when Allied Forces Headquarters was inactivated Sept. 17, 1947, thus the Allied Forces shoulder patch here. Lt. Gen Lee left the Theater immediately thereafter and was retired from active duty December 31, 1947. (see post #8).

Maj. Gen. Bryant Moore commanded the 88th Infantry Division until it was inactivated October 4, 1947, and he concurrently commanded Trieste United States Troops (TRUST) from when it was established 1 May 1947. 351st Infantry Regiment and supporting units assumed TRUST responsibilities in Zone A of the Free Territory of Trieste effective September 15, 1947, and Maj. Gen. Moore remained in command of TRUST until June 1948, when he was replaced by Maj. Gen. William M. Hoge. (see post # 8)

From this timeline it is easy to see that Lt. Gen. Lee's departure is the critical factor in determining a "not later than date" for this picture: As Gen. Lee is in this picture, the photograph must have been taken not later than ca. September 17, 1947, just two days after TRUST became fully responsible for the American Zone of the Free Territory of Trieste, and that they all gathered together these three high ranking generals in say a visit to the 351st Infantry Regiment.
Now, a crucial point in with the GI you think is your Father, note the one in the OP with the Generals, then note the one with your Father you posted, Four most noticeable things, we see in your foto they are wearing the Blue Infantry Rope, and no doubt Blue Collar Disc backing, this would be most correct for the date you gave, prior to October 1953, since they still wear Khakis, a September date would be more like, it the Inf Blue stuff comes out in August 1952. The GI with the Generals wears no Blue Stuff, wouldn't be out for another 5 years,
Then the ribbons, if you save this image to your folder, and really ZOOM in, you'll see this GI with the Generals wears no Wings and appears to wears only a single row of ribbons, most likely a triple ribbon mount.
Then the rank, it appears to be a Technical Sergent, his stripes being the Olive Drab on Khaki type.
And Finally, the liners, when you ZOOM in on the GI with the generals, they appear to still wearing the 88th Infantry Division White Bordered Decal, a sampling of which will be in many variations here. The Pfc on the right Gen Moore is chatting with appears to be wearing the 88th Infantry Division shoulder patch, they're wearing them as members of this division that formed the basis of TRUST and would in due course apoted their own uniquie insignia, the shoulder patch based on the old 88th Div and the tab, your Father as we see has the TRUST decal with Tab, and the shoulder patch.

Lets do a Recap here on what we know on this photo, because with all due respect the date of being in the 50s are not adding up with the historical figures in the photo, and on further examination the insignia worn by the EMs.

Three Generals in post #1, the consensus being they are Gen. Omar Bradley, Lt. Gen. John C.H. Lee, and Maj. Gen. Bryant Moore.

Gen. Bradley was head of VA from August 1945 until he was appointed Army Chief of Staff in February 1948. (see post #1)

Lt. Gen. John C. H. Lee was acting Allied Commander-in-Chief of Allied Forces Headquarters and commander of U.S. Forces in the Mediterranean when Allied Forces Headquarters was inactivated Sept. 17, 1947, thus the Allied Forces shoulder patch here. Lt. Gen Lee left the Theater immediately thereafter and was retired from active duty December 31, 1947. (see post #8).

Maj. Gen. Bryant Moore commanded the 88th Infantry Division until it was inactivated October 4, 1947, and he concurrently commanded Trieste United States Troops (TRUST) from when it was established 1 May 1947. 351st Infantry Regiment and supporting units assumed TRUST responsibilities in Zone A of the Free Territory of Trieste effective September 15, 1947, and Maj. Gen. Moore remained in command of TRUST until June 1948, when he was replaced by Maj. Gen. William M. Hoge. (see post # 8)

From this timeline it is easy to see that Lt. Gen. Lee's departure is the critical factor in determining a "not later than date" for this picture: As Gen. Lee is in this picture, the photograph must have been taken not later than ca. September 17, 1947, just two days after TRUST became fully responsible for the American Zone of the Free Territory of Trieste, and that they all gathered together these three high ranking generals in say a visit to the 351st Infantry Regiment.
Now, a crucial point in with the GI you think is your Father, note the one in the OP with the Generals, then note the one with your Father you posted, Four most noticeable things, we see in your foto they are wearing the Blue Infantry Rope, and no doubt Blue Collar Disc backing, this would be most correct for the date you gave, prior to October 1953, since they still wear Khakis, a September date would be more like, it the Inf Blue stuff comes out in August 1952. The GI with the Generals wears no Blue Stuff, wouldn't be out for another 5 years,
Then the ribbons, if you save this image to your folder, and really ZOOM in, you'll see this GI with the Generals wears no Wings and appears to wears only a single row of ribbons, most likely a triple ribbon mount.
Then the rank, it appears to be a Technical Sergent, his stripes being the Olive Drab on Khaki type.
And Finally, the liners, when you ZOOM in on the GI with the generals, they appear to still wearing the 88th Infantry Division White Bordered Decal, a sampling of which will be in many variations here. The Pfc on the right Gen Moore is chatting with appears to be wearing the 88th Infantry Division shoulder patch, they're wearing them as members of this division that formed the basis of TRUST and would in due course apoted their own uniquie insignia, the shoulder patch based on the old 88th Div and the tab, your Father as we see has the TRUST decal with Tab, and the shoulder patch.

Should read"your Father as we see has the TRUST insignia without Tab, could be painted or not, and the shoulder patch with tab". As a reference The "TRUST" SSI and tab were approved August 1948.

A example of a TRUST liner, no Tab, like the old 88th Division liners and steel helmets. TRUST liners were see in a few variations.

post-9214-0-23665300-1503852657.jpg

Should read"your Father as we see has the TRUST insignia without Tab, could be painted or not, and the shoulder patch with tab". As a reference The "TRUST" SSI and tab were approved August 1948.

A example of a TRUST liner, no Tab, like the old 88th Division liners and steel helmets. TRUST liners were see in a few variations.

post-9214-0-23665300-1503852657.jpg

Can't argue with your logic. My father didn't arrive FTT until April 1950. From other pictures we have from there, it sure looks like him. His memory is fading but he still recants stories of the dignitaries he met in that era. I have very few memories of FTT.

Can't argue with your logic. My father didn't arrive FTT until April 1950. From other pictures we have from there, it sure looks like him. His memory is fading but he still recants stories of the dignitaries he met in that era. I have very few memories of FTT.

I agree, the two look alike, happens, in one topic, one on Vietnam, member thought his Father was in a photo, member cracked the case, but on further examination, he came to the conclusion, that while the location of photo was most correct from his research, the man was not him.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/329061-vietnam-a-shau-valley-3rd-platoon-photo/

You posted an excellent never before seen photo of TRUST Troops, if you want to post more PM me, I can direct you to the appropriate forums for them.