Armored Patches Worn On Chest

seanmc1114

This thread is a classic example of why I enjoy this forum so much!!! I've been around the US Army (and armor/cav units) all my life. Until I read this thread, I never realized there were other armored divisions (besides the 2AD) which wore the triangle above the breast pocket. Incidently, on the 3AD vets website (3ad.com), there is a digpic of a 3AD recruiting poster from 1955-56. It states "Europe Bound" and shows a tanker with a 3AD patch over his left breast. I always just assumed somebody in Recruiting dreamed it up; but that just may not be the case. ;)

The NCARNG used to have the 2-252nd AR, a separate "spare parts" battalion that was mobilization-aligned with the 2nd AD at Ft Hood. The NC unit wore the NCARNG HQ (STARC) "Bug" patch in the normal left sleeve spot AND the 2AD's on the left chest of field clothing. It continued to do so as the 2nd AD was inactivated by stages (they LIKED the patch), with no one at Hood too concerned they were still wearing it.

UNTIL the NC troops were on Hood fornormal summer camp in Aug 1990, when the sand hit the fan in Kuwait -- and the RA people ASSUMED that these relics of 2AD -- and their tanks and rolling stock -- were their property, to do whatever they willed. The Guardsmen were told they couldn't deploy homeward as scheduled and would be charged with desertion, and there were confrontations over equipment, with NGs standing armed guard with blank-loaded M-16s and M-60s.

Hazards of wearing an armor patch on the chest.

The NCARNG used to have the 2-252nd AR, a separate "spare parts" battalion that was mobilization-aligned with the 2nd AD at Ft Hood. The NC unit wore the NCARNG HQ (STARC) "Bug" patch in the normal left sleeve spot AND the 2AD's on the left chest of field clothing. It continued to do so as the 2nd AD was inactivated by stages (they LIKED the patch), with no one at Hood too concerned they were still wearing it.

UNTIL the NC troops were on Hood fornormal summer camp in Aug 1990, when the sand hit the fan in Kuwait -- and the RA people ASSUMED that these relics of 2AD -- and their tanks and rolling stock -- were their property, to do whatever they willed. The Guardsmen were told they couldn't deploy homeward as scheduled and would be charged with desertion, and there were confrontations over equipment, with NGs standing armed guard with blank-loaded M-16s and M-60s.

Hazards of wearing an armor patch on the chest.

Thanks for all of the input on this topic. In thinking about this particular reply, it reminded me of the fact that back in the 90's and possibly even the 80's when the 48th Infantry Brigade of the Georgia National Guard was the roundout brigade of the 24th Infantry division, the soldiers of the brigade wore the 48th SSI on their left shoulder and the 24th SSI above their nametapes on their BDU's. I wonder if the roundout brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division wore the huge 1st Cav patch over their nametapes.

Here are two photos taken at Fort Benning in 1941. The man who had the album was in the 41st Infantry Armored.

post-211-1209343315.jpg

post-211-1209343397.jpg

post-211-1209343439.jpg

Proud Kraut
Trading Post (April/June 2001, p.10) shows a soldier wearing the Armored Command patch with "Airborne" tab over left chest pocket of his overalls (and at least two on left sleeves). The unit is identified as 151st Airborne Tank Company, which was formed at Ft. Knox August 15, 1943, and inactivated at Camp Mackall December 1944; no question about the identity of this unit; a large unit sign is shown.

What I have learned is that some Armor units wore their Armored patches on the chest since WW II. In the Jul/Sep 2002 issue of the Trading Post (page 24) I found some pictures showing GIs wearing their 40th Infantry Divison over their left breast pocket in 1951. Does anybody know if Infantry Division patches were worn on chest in WW II by this or other units as well? I do NOT mean those AAF or Airborne patches worn on flight suits or leather jackets.

Lars

jayhawkhenry

Here is another one from the 40's, 1st Armor, Warrant Officer? Taken in Tulsa Oklahoma 1944

post-2722-1210203803.jpg

Not sure where I got this one. :unsure:

post-622-1199410620.jpg

This is Pfc Harry Miller, 740th Tank Bn...and this has been posted elsewhere on the Forum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I served under 2 different commands were I/we wore the armor triangle patch over the left pocket. The first was with Trp D 5th Armored Cav. 187th Inf Bde Sep (USAR, Ft. Devens, MA) 75-76. We wore the Bde SSI on our shoulder and an unnumbered armor triangle over the left pocket. The other time was with 2nd Arm. Div. Here I was with A 1/41 Inf (76-78), CSC 1/50 Inf (78-79), 1st Bde (Tiger). Then once again on my last tour in 93-reflagged with 3/41 Inf.

Ed

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
post-467-1221343848.jpg

A 2 piece merrowed 2nd AD is rather unusual. Every merrowed 2nd AD I've ever seen is 1 piece. They must have made them that way for a very short time in the late 60's.

Kurt

post-467-1248382980.jpg

Officers of an advanced party during operation Big Lift.

Date taken: October 1963

Photographer: Ralph Crane

post-467-1248383051.png