Armored Patches Worn On Chest

seanmc1114

I have checked on the web for others photos of the general with this insignia and I can't found a more clearer one ....

It seems that he doesn't wore it at others occasions.

I have checked on the web for others photos of the general with this insignia and I can't found a more clearer one ....

It seems that he doesn't wore it at others occasions.

I'm thinking it has to be a French Army badge, if it is, maybe it was even presented this day the parade took place.

• 4 weeks later...

Hollywood actors Bob Hope and Jerry Colona with actress Frances Langford riding in an 8th Armored Division tank at Camp Polk, Louisiana - 1943

post-1761-0-75917500-1513706125_thumb.jpg

Hollywood actors Bob Hope and Jerry Colona with actress Frances Langford riding in an 8th Armored Division tank at Camp Polk, Louisiana - 1943

Great pictire, see how the driver is in his Class As.

Are you sure he was a Company Commander? seems as a Lt Col he would be some kind of staff officer, as far as I know even headquarters companies of Armies and Corps were commanded by Captains.

Here's an excerpt from a 20th Corps After Action Report, it refers to LTC Racicot as " Headquarters Commandant " ...

...The Corps Headquarters continued its policy of establishing itself close behind the assault

echelons; and, while still at Louvois the Chief of Staff directed the Headquarters, Commandant, Lt. Col.

Napoleon A. Racicot, to reconnoiter for the next Command Post site as far east toward Verdun as

possible with a view to locating it at least east of Clermont. Colonel Racicot was further directed to

have a guide meet the Chief of Staff at dawn the next day at St. Menehould...

I'm not sure what to make of that.

Thanks rd.

Any idea on the badges Walker and the other are wearing, French?

From a 20th Corps After Action Report...

Could this be the badge on his chest in the photo?

Here's an excerpt from a 20th Corps After Action Report, it refers to LTC Racicot as " Headquarters Commandant " ...

...The Corps Headquarters continued its policy of establishing itself close behind the assault

echelons; and, while still at Louvois the Chief of Staff directed the Headquarters, Commandant, Lt. Col.

Napoleon A. Racicot, to reconnoiter for the next Command Post site as far east toward Verdun as

possible with a view to locating it at least east of Clermont. Colonel Racicot was further directed to

have a guide meet the Chief of Staff at dawn the next day at St. Menehould...

I'm not sure what to make of that.

Well here's the WIKI on it, the operative on it is the last paragraph, must admit, that this is the first time I heard it, probably used only at Army Group, Army and Corps level.

United States

In the United States, 'commandant' is an appointment, not a rank, and the following three appointments currently exist:

Formerly, admirals were appointed as commandants of naval districts.

The commandant is the second most senior officer (after the superintendent) of United States Service academies, such as West Point, United States Naval Academy, and the United States Air Force Academy, equivalent to the Dean of Students at a civilian college. Commandant is also the title of the commanding officer of many units of the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command, including the non-commissioned officer academies, whose commandants are typically command sergeants major.

Commandant is also the title of the ranking officer in charge of each War College of the United States military, and is responsible for the administration, academic progress and success of the civilians and military officers assigned to the college. He is a model for all personnel, a military academy graduate of impeccable character and bearing who has demonstrated accomplishment in both academic excellence and active military service in the field. They include the Naval War College, the Air War College, the Army War College, the Marine Corps War College and the National War College.[9]

Commandant is the duty title for the commanding officer of the US Air Force Test Pilot School.

Commandant is also the duty title of the senior enlisted leader of a US Air Force Professional Military Education (PME) academy, such as the Airman Leadership School, Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, and Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy.

The title may also be used for the commander of a unit headquarters, who is usually responsible for administrative matters such as billeting and is called the headquarters commandant; this may also be a duty assigned to a staff officer in large headquarters.

Negative, these are the various classes of the Légion d'Honneur, Officier (Officer): badge worn on left breast suspended from a ribbon with a rosette.

post-50776-1328909748.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/134818-where-to-obtain-french-legion-of-honor/

Negative, these will be the various Légion d'Honneur's, the one as you see with the rosette.

post-50776-1328909748.jpg

Well here's the WIKI on it, the operative on it is the last paragraph, must admit, that this is the first time I heard it, probably used only at Army Group, Army and Corps level.

The title may also be used for the commander of a unit headquarters, who is usually responsible for administrative matters such as billeting and is called the headquarters commandant; this may also be a duty assigned to a staff officer in large headquarters.

Nice find Patches

Nice find Patches

Yes I shouldn't think he would be the XX Corps Headquarters Company commander, that would be a Captain, I'm imagining the Headquarters Commandant was a extra special staff assignment.

For you (If you haven't seen it before rd) those other interested parties, found this site for the WWII era XX Corps.

http://xxcorps.org/

Trying to get us back on topic, here is one you don't see too often. 10th AD Tiger patch.

Nice. Also not the orientation of the rank insignia on the epaulette.

• 2 weeks later...
Persian Gulf Command

Came across this one among my Dad's photos. He was an Intelligence officer in the 2nd Armored Division c. 1950.

Dad took the photo.

post-17994-0-38546900-1514688143_thumb.jpg

Can you tell what the Armor Triangles on the hats are? Pin on, printed, clothe, metal, etc?

Yeah those are interesting right! When you enlarge the image they look like mini patches, and do not have a 2 on them.

Persian Gulf Command

I believe the Mess Hats are cloth and the emblems are also cloth, perhaps embroidered or printed on the cap. I do not believe they are metal or some sort of pins.

Mess Hats Enlarged:

post-17994-0-47836300-1514692273.jpg

Yeah those are interesting right! When you enlarge the image they look like mini patches, and do not have a 2 on them.

Thanks for the feedback

I believe the Mess Hats are cloth and the emblems are also cloth, perhaps embroidered or printed on the cap. I do not believe they are metal or some sort of pins.

Mess Hats Enlarged:

Thanks for the info

• 4 weeks later...

4th Armored Division Soldier. Pine Camp, New York 1942. 4th Armored SSI worn on cold weather jacket(Tanker Jacket).

His patch is also a woolie.

4th Armored Division Soldier. Pine Camp, New York 1942. 4th Armored SSI worn on cold weather jacket(Tanker Jacket).

Another photo of same soldier.

post-113673-0-20569100-1517078830_thumb.jpg