What type of mini-series do you think would be cool?

ryksem

Oh yeah, "Last Stand of the TinCan Sailors". I have a buddy who is a Colonel in the Army Reserve. He is fourth generation Army, ancestors from CW and his father was a tanker in the ETO who was at The Bulge. He is a surgeon with 32 years in and has deployed to Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan numerous times. Of course we enjoy the normal friendly inter service banter, ( God help the poor AF guy who walks by ;) ). Any way, loaned him my copy of "Last Stand". He told me he never had any idea that Sailors fought such a hard war. Also loaned him Hornfischers other two books. He has an in entirely different attitude towards what Sailors do.

Garandomatic

Oh yeah, "Last Stand of the TinCan Sailors". I have a buddy who is a Colonel in the Army Reserve. He is fourth generation Army, ancestors from CW and his father was a tanker in the ETO who was at The Bulge. He is a surgeon with 32 years in and has deployed to Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan numerous times. Of course we enjoy the normal friendly inter service banter, ( God help the poor AF guy who walks by ;) ). Any way, loaned him my copy of "Last Stand". He told me he never had any idea that Sailors fought such a hard war. Also loaned him Hornfischers other two books. He has an in entirely different attitude towards what Sailors do.

Totally. There's no place to dig a foxhole when a Kamikaze is coming at you.

As a kid growing up, all my dad's friends had fraught in the Pacific. When they didn't think I was around, they talked about "The War". Now, I guess it was like group therapy for PTSD. They talked about getting volunteers to go into compartments that had been hit, and picking up shipmates by the piece in pillow classes. My Dad worked with an EMC who had been in subs and wore his dolphins and Combat Patrol Badge. He had been depth charged twice. He was very claustrophobic. Had been all his life but went into subs because they asked him to due to his test scores. He went because there was a war on and that was where they needed him. He disqualled himself from subs when the war ended, but still wore his Dolphins. My first Chief flew in the back of Hell Divers. Terrified of heights, but went up any way. My first SM 1 turned 17, made SM3/c and was sunk all on the same day (he got into the Navy when he was 15). These guys raised me, and no one really knows who they were. No where to run to, no where to hide.

I always think of TV and movie projects in terms of what is a realistic expectation to film the thing.

To me, that'd exclude almost all ship-based stories because there are next to no working WW2 ships you could take to sea these days. Sure, you could build a superstructure (like they did to represent various battlewagons and carriers in Tora Tora Tora) but it'd take a comical amount of CGI to make it look plausible. Using a real ship in a museum anchorage with lots of effects to make it look like it's out at sea could only work so far. You only have to look at the movie, "Under Seige" to instantly realize the USS Alabama (standing in for the Mighty Mo) clearly was docked somewhere and was never under way.

I think ground-based concepts have the greatest chance of being made into a series. Planes, lesser so, but still doable in regards to if you can find a few real airplanes of the type you need.

I always think of TV and movie projects in terms of what is a realistic expectation to film the thing.

To me, that'd exclude almost all ship-based stories because there are next to no working WW2 ships you could take to sea these days. Sure, you could build a superstructure (like they did to represent various battlewagons and carriers in Tora Tora Tora) but it'd take a comical amount of CGI to make it look plausible. Using a real ship in a museum anchorage with lots of effects to make it look like it's out at sea could only work so far. You only have to look at the movie, "Under Seige" to instantly realize the USS Alabama (standing in for the Mighty Mo) clearly was docked somewhere and was never under way.

I think ground-based concepts have the greatest chance of being made into a series. Planes, lesser so, but still doable in regards to if you can find a few real airplanes of the type you need.

. Totally agree, sadly, but still. I always hate when they us ex modern ships, like they blew up in "Pearl Harbor".

Operation Tidal Wave. The low level bombing raid which resulted in numerous Medal of Honors and DFCs for all involved. One of the most daring and deadly bombing missions of WW2. It would be neat to follow 3 crews from training for the raid to the raid itself.

JD

100th Bomb Group. Robert Rosenthal, Harry Crosby. Crosby was there from the time the 100th got going until the end of the war. His book would be a good foundation. Rosie was there for most of it as well. Schweinfurt-Regensburg, Munster, Bigweek, Berlin, D-Day and beyond.

"The Bloody Hundredth". A title already made :)

they could make a mini series about the homefront, what went on all over the USA to help the war effort, the young men that enlisted the day after Pearl Harbor was attacked, the people who worked in the factories building the ships like "Rosie the riveter" the factories that made all the war materials, the female test pilots, the soldiers, sailors, airmen training before going overseas.

I'd like to see them make a film about Typhoon Cobra. Plenty of action with all kinds of break-out stories. A winner IMHO.

I think a Vietnam mini series would be great! There are still many first hand accounts available to truly bring it to life!

Marines in the Banana Wars would be awesome too!

I'd like to see them make a film about Typhoon Cobra. Plenty of action with all kinds of break-out stories. A winner IMHO.

Something like that would be crazy expensive to make, and where would you find the naval vessels? It'd be like Avatar in that 90% of it would have to CGI...

littlebuddy

One all about me !!! :D and how collecting all this USAAF stuff is taking over my life !!! it would be a block buster !!!! :lol::lol:

RustyCanteen

Seal team in Vietnam would be very cool...

I agree..

But also anything PCF related would be nice too. High speed action.

I would like to see a mini-series on the book " LAST STAND OF "F" CO. " ( I hope that's the title ). It's about the Marine company that held Toktong pass so the 1st Mar Div fight its way out of the " FROZEN CHOSIN ". If you haven't read the book it's good.

I think a Vietnam mini series would be great! There are still many first hand accounts available to truly bring it to life!

Marines in the Banana Wars would be awesome too!

I like the banana wars idea

-Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Something like that would be crazy expensive to make, and where would you find the naval vessels? It'd be like Avatar in that 90% of it would have to CGI...

If it's my fantasy-then money is no object.