When did service members start threading their dog tags through their boot laces?

bellasilva

The reason I ask is pictured below. Buddie D Duke served in the KW and anyone here who knows dog tags will immediately notice how worn down the stamping is, particularly on the back. Also the wear and tear of the hole to thread the chain through. In my opinion this is consistent with being threaded through a boot which saw much use, causing the hole to get distorted, and the the wear of the stamping indicates it being rubbed against a surface for quite some time. Thoughts? I've worn my dog tags every single day since being issued them in basic in 2005 and they still look brand spankin new. Anyone know of the earliest use of dog tags being threaded through boot laces?

post-104906-0-59936200-1376261894.jpg

My father's dog tag looks just like the one you posted. Yes, he was Korean War era. The wear on his is from putting it on a key ring and having it in his pocket until the metal key ring wore through the tag. In his case it took a little over 40 years. As you stated it takes time to wear them down. I have my set that was issued in basic and I had to replace the chain a few times but the tags still look servicable after 20 years of wear.

Jack

My father's dog tag looks just like the one you posted. Yes, he was Korean War era. The wear on his is from putting it on a key ring and having it in his pocket until the metal key ring wore through the tag. In his case it took a little over 40 years. As you stated it takes time to wear them down. I have my set that was issued in basic and I had to replace the chain a few times but the tags still look servicable after 20 years of wear.

Jack

Thanks for the reply. You know, I hadn't even considered that being on a keyring might have caused that, and it actually makes more sense to me, especially because it's so common to do so. Thanks!

As far as know the Dog Tag on the boot was a late-sh Vietnam War affection, normally if not in all cases Infantry, Air Cavalry, Engineers, in short all Army Combat Troops who would be locking horns with Charlie, Marines too I believe, why? did they do it in Iraq, or today in Afghanistan?

Garandomatic

The Lima Company memorial paintings that toured around the state had some effects that I believe belonged to the Marines that died, and a few sets of boots they had positioned under the paintings of some of the Marines had dog tags in them.

• 3 months later...

We did it in Iraq and Afghanistan. I always heard the story it was so you could ID a body if it was blown up, theoretically the ones on the neck blow off easily. Not sure how true it is

I've worn one in my boot for nearly ten years now, though I'm not sure how wide spread it is. I assumed it was everyone, but a lot of entry level students are saying their DI's are telling them it's only an infantry thing...and many DI's aren't Grunts, so no clue. Never really paid attention to what other units did. All 3 Infantry battalions I was in mandated it

My nephew was with the 82nd in the initail invasion of Iraq in 2003. He gave me his boots with his tag still in it giving the same reason, to id the G.I. if the other one could not be found.

Bob

i did it with my tags in vietnam, 1969. the practice was fairly common where i was. primarily for the ability to identify a casualty, though there was a small unintended benefit of not having them around your neck in the high heat and humidity.

I wore one in my boot as well as most of the guys in my company during each tour in Iraq. I saw it as an extra precaution and still wore a set around my neck. Had to take it out stateside or wear different boots in garrison because "technically" is was not authorized. I had a platoon sergeant who carried a dog tag for each of his guys KIA on his key ring.

I don't know the answer to the start date, but it was SOP in my VN Infantry platoon to lace a dog tag through each boot and wear a set taped together around one's neck.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

They issued us an extra set to lace into our boots for Desert Storm as well. I was in the 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division. I only remember adding a tag to one boot in each pair of boots issued to me for the deployment. BTW, we were issued jungle boots going on the deployment and desert boots for the return trip. Tom

Thanks for the info gents I appreciate it. For you VN guys, did any of your boot-threaded tags have two holes instead of one? I picked up this VN era tag a while back and it's got me stumped. It's a completely flat tag with no rolled edge and has two holes. It's fairly worn down and when I posted it on the forum the general consensus was that it's a theater made tag. Any thoughts?

post-104906-0-40484400-1386292586.jpg

bellasilva,

The tag certainly appears to be worn down. My tags in VN (still have them) were made with one hole and had rolled edges to the back side. However, like GIs through the ages, there is no telling what someone might have fabricated.

Ken

• 4 years later...

Just to add to this thread..in the Navy, Flight Deck crews and Damage Control parties/ships fire dept. do the tag in the boots as well.

That's why I only have ONE of my originals.. :blush:..forgot to take it out when I chucked my old flight deck boots! (I was At Sea Fire party)