how to preserve a flag, where to frame?

FNGRyan

Hello all,

I recently aquired an old flag from ww2 (cotton it seems with alot of wording painted on, not to big also) and I want to frame it. However, I dont know where to get it done, i dont know of any places in central florida that do this and frankly i dont trust the corporations like Michaels with the piece for the estimated 3 to 4 weeks!

So my question is, does anyone know any place in central florida to get a flag preserved/framed? Or should i do it myself? Which i have a feeling I'm gunna have to do.

thanks in advance for any help.

Ryan

Hi,

I did some courses in conservation of material for the museum and learned that flags should be stored horizontally stretched in drawers or hung inside cotton covers* horizontally or bags wrapped in glass wool. Never bent or exposed to light and moisture.

*Natural cotton without synthetic.

If the option is to make a frame, use in the background acid free material and anti-UV glass**

**Glass with reflex protects more.

Ricardo.

What size is the flag? Fort Sumter size or down to an armband?

Ricardo is correct, store in an "all cotton" pillow case.

Its around 20 x 25 inches, and i would like to display it, not store it, so a pillow case won't really work i think. And for the frame, do i let the pressure between the glass and backing hold the piece or do i tack it some how? I dont think there is a way to tack it though without damaging the piece somehow (thats also why i dont like places like Micheals, as they would of tacked it)

Ryan

you should be fine with a normal frame IMO.. but make sure to use acid free matte behind the flag. (Hobby Lobby has acid free matte... look online for a 40% off coupon, they always have one)

I would use the pressure to hold it in place... if it is too loose sometimes you can add extra paper or board behind it to "press" it against the glass.

as long as you are keeping it out of the sun and in a climate controlled home it should be OK this way.

granted, this is not the "best" "conservation safe" method but I have seen stuff in museums treated a lot worse. IMO there really is no 100% conservation safe method of displaying something.. the safest thing is to store it, but then you can't enjoy it.

Thanks! Sorry for the strange double post, and a hobby lobby just opened near me so i'll check it out.

Thanks again,

Ryan

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have had a Japanese flag from Okinawa in my collection for many years now it is very delicate as it is a battlefield relic and made of silk, it has some wear and a few small hole to it. I have always had it in two pieces of perspex ( flexy glass ) it is on one of my walls and out of the sunlight, there has been no change to it at all. I could try to put it on the forum for you to see if i can, most flags hold up very well framed and look great in the war rooms, so i wish you luck in getting it sorted out.

Dave.