What is this WWII "Field Jacket" with no buttons or pockets?

urbanminer

I just picked up this jacket from the estate of a Japanese-American USAAF vet. The tag says "Jacket, Field, Wool, OD" and is dated 1944, but I can't find any reference to Field Jackets like this: zippered with no button flap, and no outside pockets whatsoever. There are two inside chest pockets, and two side waist buckles.

Does this jacket go by another name? Who would have worn it and in what setting?

Thanks!

Tom

post-15963-0-63119500-1376107091.jpg

The original Wool Field Jacket was intended as a liner for the M1943 Field Jacket, but in a short time evolved into a semi-dress garment. It looks like you may have acquired one of the first Liners for the beloved old '43!

Looks like a standard ike that's been tailored. A decent amount of these jackets were 'cleaned up' for civilian wear immediately post war. Even into the 50s' the problem of civilians wearing war surplus items remained formidable.

http://www.qmfound.com/Army_Green_Uniform.htm

From above:

"In the field, the Eisenhower jacket served as an insulating layer in the M-l943 ensemble, not as an outer field garment like the British jacket. It was to be worn underneath a water-repellent, wind-resistant outer jacket and, when the temperature required, over a sweater, a flannel shirt and wool/cotton underwear.

To accommodate these insulating underlayers, the "Ike" jacket was designed with a bloused action back and roomy sleeves. As a result it was somewhat too large when worn without the extra undergarments. Unfortunately, many soldiers regarded the "Ike" jacket as a dress item because they had no service coat and the men often had it fitted so snugly that they could not wear it in the field as intended (9).

The deep-seated dissatisfaction of the Army with its uniform, which stimulated these continual modifications, reached a peak after World War II. When the troops returned home, the men who were making the Army their career wanted a garrison uniform that was more flattering and attractive in civilian eyes. The olive-drab, short "Ike" jacket was not a satisfactory semidress item in a peacetime society which considered coats and ties the proper attire for many occasions. The baggy fit of the jacket further detracted from its suitability for wear as a service uniform.

The image of the jacket suffered further from its indiscriminate use as a working jacket by soldiers returning to civilian life. Upon discharge, soldiers had been allowed to retain their uniforms because of the shortage of civilian clothes, and the jackets, which were functional as work clothing, were frequently seen on construction crews, filling station attendants and other civilian workers."

I think you guys are right about it being a retailored Ike. The tag says Pattern Dated 5/10/44 and Spec PQD No 437, which matches it to the Ike.

I think you guys are right about it being a retailored Ike. The tag says Pattern Dated 5/10/44 and Spec PQD No 437, which matches it to the Ike.

This is in one of the interior pockets this tag, correct?

This is in one of the interior pockets this tag, correct?

Correct, inside the right interior pocket

Captainofthe7th

I wouldn't immediately write it off as a civilian tailored jacket, though it's certainly a likely possibility. This bears similar resemblance to this uniform I have in the collection:

GEDC0600.jpg

GEDC0599.jpg

Without pockets, however, civilian woman may be the best bet.

Rob

I remember that one Captain of the 7th, Interesting in that yours has the shoulder loops present, with evidence of rank pins on it while this one doesn't have shoulder loops present anymore.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/142115-1st-cav-tailored-ike-style-jacket/

Urbanminer, does yours have any ghostings of patches on the interior of the sleeves, and shoulder? we see it was worn at one time, because of the Serial Number in it.

Captainofthe7th

Ah, yes, I overlooked the shoulder loops. It seems that it was more common to add them in the immediate post-war years than to remove them. I'm thinking of all the tailored HBT shirts that show up in Japan and Korea with added pockets and shoulder loops, even for enlisted personnel who didn't necessarily need the loops for anything in particular.

With that I'm thinking it's more likely that it is indeed civilian....will we ever know?? It's a really cool piece anyway. I remember my grandmother saying that during the war her mother made an Ike style jacket. I wonder if it was something like this or made from something else?

Rob

Rob, thanks for showing your Cav jacket, which I agree is very cool. Do you think it was tailored from an issue Ike? Is there a tag?

In the older thread about your jacket there is talk of it being possibly tailored in Japan. Interesting that the owner of mine served as a translator in postwar Japan, and was Japanese-American himself.

I checked for patch ghosts but I can't make any out. As for the cut it still seems to be at its original size (36R) rather than being cut down for a woman.

Captainofthe7th

No problem, I'm glad to be able to share such things. It is made of a melton(?) wool material more similar to the WWII officer's doeskin overcoats. It's not the 'twill' similar to Ike jackets. There are no markings of any kind except maybe a sewn in Japanese style laundry mark, but I can't recall right now. No tags or anything unfortunately. It is a bit of a mystery piece itself. The interior is very nice silk or rayon lining and the cut is almost too small for me and I'm really a little guy. I suppose considering the style of the day it would be cut perfect for me, but I think today many people could consider it a woman's cut. Seems waistlines and such have changed since the 40s and 50s...

I've been going back and forth with yours whether it is civilian or military...I am thinking now that it should be obvious if it was a woman's cut. You know, super short, shorter sleeves, VERY thin waist. Since it is not taken in like that, it does seem to be cut for a man.

Knowing that your guy was Japanese-American and served in Japan is a good clue that it is military related. I think mine was definitely tailored over there, as the 1st Cav was between Japan and Korea at that time.

I'm very curious about this piece and I'll gladly continue to follow and add to the discussion :)

Rob

Rob, thanks for showing your Cav jacket, which I agree is very cool. Do you think it was tailored from an issue Ike? Is there a tag?

In the older thread about your jacket there is talk of it being possibly tailored in Japan. Interesting that the owner of mine served as a translator in postwar Japan, and was Japanese-American himself.

I checked for patch ghosts but I can't make any out. As for the cut it still seems to be at its original size (36R) rather than being cut down for a woman.

urban, was he in the Army or was he a Civilian Government Employee.

urban, was he in the Army or was he a Civilian Government Employee.

Enlisted 1943, SN 37703748, USAAF I think based on gear at the estate

Enlisted 1943, SN 37703748, USAAF I think based on gear at the estate

If he was in the Air Corps it would be rare.

This from Wiki.

Servicemen in the Army Air Force

Japanese Americans were generally forbidden to fight a combat role in the Pacific theatre although no such limitations were placed on Americans of German or Italian ancestry who fought against the Axis Powers. Up to this point, the United States government has only been able to find records of five Japanese Americans who were members of the Air Corps during World War II, one of them being Kenje Ogata. There was at least one Nisei, U.S. Army Air Force Technical Sergeant Ben Kuroki, who participated initially in 35 missions as a dorsal turret gunner over Europe, followed by 28 bombing missions over mainland Japan and other locations in the Pacific Theater.

If he was in the Air Corps it would be rare.

This from Wiki.

Servicemen in the Army Air Force

Japanese Americans were generally forbidden to fight a combat role in the Pacific theatre although no such limitations were placed on Americans of German or Italian ancestry who fought against the Axis Powers. Up to this point, the United States government has only been able to find records of five Japanese Americans who were members of the Air Corps during World War II, one of them being Kenje Ogata. There was at least one Nisei, U.S. Army Air Force Technical Sergeant Ben Kuroki, who participated initially in 35 missions as a dorsal turret gunner over Europe, followed by 28 bombing missions over mainland Japan and other locations in the Pacific Theater.

Interesting. I had assumed he served in the ETO during the war, but I did not realize that Nisei were so rare in the USAAF. Unfortunately I did not see any patches or other insignia at the sale, so I can't be sure. I wish I knew more! His name was James M. Muramoto.

I think this is your guy:

ScreenShot2013-08-12at12825AM.jpg

Rob

Interesting that he enlisted as "Chinese." Muramoto is a Japanese name and James Masatoshi Muramoto, born 1920, lived in Colorado, was Japanese according to immigrant passenger records and the 1940 Census.

• 5 years later...