Redcatcher! 199th Infantry Brigade Shoulder Sleeve Insignia

439th Signal Battalion

BASTIEN Great collection.I like the Public Info Officer patch and the NCBU pocket hanger.I would think the Japanese made variation is a harder one to find? Thank you for sharing your collection.

On the Artillery photo from June 1967. Hard to tell but I wonder if there all South Vietnamese made.

Great photo Bastien, thank's for adding it.

439th Signal Battalion

This very nice MP brassard was issued to forum member M151MP who was with HHC-MP's, 199th LIB, from 69 - 70.

The vast majority of the US manufactored cut-edge subdued SSI's were were all black, whereas many of the Vietnamese made subdued SSI's contained the colored fireball in middle with either red, brown, or orange thread. I believe that there was a small run (not 100% sure, and this example could possibly be one) of US produced insignia that contained the colored fireball with subdued insignial but these are harder to come by as they weren't authorized for wear stateside much like the standard issue jungle fatigues.

Patches, perhaps you could elaborate on that?

100_0867_zps722db562.jpg

100_0868_zps9ef84c7b.jpg

For me, the semi-subdued shown by 439th Sig Bn is an US made , this is exactly the same as mine ( display case , top row third from right).

I own the same version for the 196th ssi.

• 1 month later...

Great looking helmet.Whats on the front and other side?

the front should say "MP", and the other side should say either 199 for the brigade or 152 for the other MP unit in our brigade. so i'll be interested to see what it actually has on it, if ian posts the other side.

439th Signal Battalion

One of my most treasured pieces from a close friend and mentor.

This jacket has been in a display case for some time and I just took it out to get some close-up pics. This is a field worn, battle-damaged jacket from a team leader in Echo Company Recon, 3-7th Infantry, 199th LIB. I only hope the Recon flash and pocket patch don't end up being reproduced and sold on Ebay at some point in the future...

DSC01941_edited-1_zps7d81d6a2.jpg

DSC01942_edited-1_zpsaae527df.jpg

DSC01944_edited-1_zps9485901b.jpg

DSC01943_edited-1_zpsa650cd67.jpg

DSC01945_edited-1_zpsd2ef58bc.jpg

Reference #17 when he was WIA wearing jacket.

BDEOCT69FWD16-31161_zpse8dc7b29.jpg

scan0051.jpg

439th Signal Battalion

Another version of a 3-7th Infantry Recon platoon pocket patch. This one, however, is a decent reproduction that I put on my son's ERDL jacket to wear (for those of us collectors who have children, don't we always have to outfit them correctly when they go out to play :D ). I have never been able to find an original.

DSC01950_zpsc6fa65fd.jpg

The recon trooper on the top right has one of these on his pocket.

scan00122_zpsd4a57fd7.jpg

Here's an interesting insignia combination. Everything looks subdued and theater made with the exception of the black and gold U.S. Army and white name tapes that really contrast with the subdued insignia. Also, note the helmet net covering rather than the standard camouflage cover.

post-1761-0-32162800-1379189556.jpg

In post #37 is Sparks wearing a WW2 German P-38 ?

Is he a collector ?

Another collector friend of mine wore SS camouflage in Vietnam from his collection.

Here are some of my 199th patches including a full color cut edge and merrowed edge version, a subdued on twill version and subdued merrowed edge version.

Note the subdued twill version is shorter than the others.

Also note the merrowed edge on the left side of the full color version slightly overlaps the white border of the patch. Would this be normal or is this more likely an original cut edge patch that had a merrowed edge added later?

post-1761-0-44348800-1379254373.jpg

Also don't forget your ACU version. The 199th is now a training unit at Fort Benning, Georgia.

http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/

Until just recently, the Airborne course was attached to the 199th so the Airborne instructors wore the 199th SSI with an Airborne tab.

I wonder if anyone from the Airborne school served in Iraq or Afghanistan and is entitled to wear the 199th with Airborne tab as a combat patch.

Also, I wonder if there is a 199th Combat Service Identification Badge. None is shown on the Institute of Heraldry page for the 199th: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Heraldry/ArmyDUISSICOA/ArmyHeraldryUnit.aspx?u=7068

post-1761-0-58054900-1379254529.jpg

Here's a clearer picture of the 199th patch being worn with an Airborne tab on the ACU of a member of the cadre of the Basic Airborne Course at Fort Benning. Note that she is wearing the flash of the 1st Battalion 507th Infantry which is the unit that conducts the training at the jump school. According to the 199th's official website, the jump school has recently been reassigned to the Ranger Training Brigade.

By the way, any ideas on what branch the officer might be? Aren't jump school cadre typically Infantry? This picture came from the 1/507th official website a few months back but I can't recall what her name or position are and I can't find her on the site now.

post-1761-0-05647700-1379260077.jpg