Section 5 Norton-Harjes Ambulance Corps/ U.S. - S.S.U. 646 Group

Belleauwood

Belleauwood

It has been several years since I posted any of my uniform groups here on the forum. This group is one that I purchased in pieces as his home was being cleaned out. I had to tell the company that was charged is liquidating the estate that there had to be more that what was originally found. It took weeks for the Tiley home to be cleaned out and items seemed to turn up every three or four days. I spoke with them daily to find what had turned up and then would drive over and purchase what they found that tied this group together. What started as a "Rooster Patch" tunic turned into one of the more significant American Volunteer groups to surface in quite a while.

While most of you on the forum know of my USMC an Aviation collection, I was a serious collector and preservationist of American Field Service groupings. This is one of several that I had; traded to and traded back, and is now in the Belleauwood museum here in CT. This group is rather large and will take some time to provide the forum all that is here. The history of the grouping and the family is one rich in Connecticut and New England history. It started when Morton C. Tiley's family came from England on the Mayflower. More photographs and text will be added later as I develop this post. Hope you approve.

post-3422-0-57184800-1376007155.jpg

post-3422-0-65651600-1376007163.jpg

Belleauwood

His Norton- Harjes Visor hat from Section 5. A false bullion numeral 5 now resides where his N-H hat badge was originally worn

post-3422-0-72291200-1376007423.jpg

post-3422-0-92620000-1376007437.jpg

post-3422-0-80031500-1376007450.jpg

Belleauwood

Original photographs - notice the decorated flag of Section 646. Tiley is in the center row on the left during his Section 5 days.

post-3422-0-04467700-1376007657.jpg

post-3422-0-29620000-1376007679.jpg

post-3422-0-97507900-1376007688.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful group. I have the helmet pictured in the steel pots book from the American Field Service and it is one of my most prized possessions. This group is inspirational and has me thinking about adding a uniform etc... to the Helmet. What wonderful group, thanks again for the inspiration.

History Man

Outstanding group, this is one of the best Ambulance groups I have ever seen. Everything looks to be in great shape, the 3 pieces removed from the ambulance are something else! Congratulations on this amazing find.

Philip

Salvage Sailor

Nice to see you posting again on the site,

I've always appreciated your thoroughly researched posts (particularly your Ambulance groupings) and your attention to detail in the accompanying photographs.

Aloha

Amazing grouping! I love the flags that were flown from his ambulance.

I can't believe there is more! I can't wait to see it....Kat

Belleauwood

Below are some of the documents that came with the group. Notice he enlisted into the American Army in Paris, France as he had already been overseas for quite some time with the Norton-Harjes Amb. Corps. I will post his numerous French Citations to follow this post this morning

post-3422-0-22332200-1376050866.jpg

post-3422-0-66622500-1376050874.jpg

I have always liked anything WW1 especially uniforms. Hard to find them complete. My grandfather used some of his as regular everyday clothing which didn't last very long. Very nice you have!

That is a wonderful post. It is amazing that you have been able to put together such a complete grouping. You have everything. Thank you!

Dick

YankeeSpirit76

What a fantastic grouping! My Great Uncle was an ambulance man from Rhode Island.

He was in the 104th ambulance Co. Company K.