Cpl. George Polus Asack Jr. Roi-Manur and Saipan Vet. WIA

ColdWarRules

ColdWarRules

JUST CAME IN THE MAIL! :D

Some of you know I have the bad case of the Marine bug. This is my first USMC item! :D

I guess its a start!

This is a 1942 dated USMC "greens" jacket named to Corporal George Polus Asack Jr. of Company "B", 1st Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division. The EGAs are gone and his ribbons (the ghost mark) but the jacket is in REALLY good condition! I like his patch as well, the 5th MAC and I believe it consisted of Marines from the 4th, 2nd, and 1st Marine Divisions (correct me if I'm wrong).

He was born on 6/1/1923 and he was the son of Syrian immigrants (I'm not sure if he was born here or in Syria). He lived in Massachusetts and he was in high school when the U.S was dragged into the war. His selective service # was called in 1943 and he entered the Marines. He was promoted to PFC upon graduation from boot camp (I believe only 10% were PFCs upon graduation). He was then put into the 4th Marine Division and stayed there through out the war.

I guess he was well liked by his commanders and he was an assistant DI in California. Then he was sent overseas and fought on Roi-Namur and his company took the most casualties in the battalion. I guess he did something pretty damn good because he was promoted to Corporal after taking the island. Then sent for refit and rest they prepared for the assault on Saipan. I'm not sure what day he was wounded but sometime during the fierce fighting on Saipan he was wounded. After his wound he was sent back to California and stayed at the naval hospital in Aiea Heights, Hawaii (USNH #10 I believe) then sent to shoemaker, California for treatment and he stayed there for the rest of the war. He was then discharged in January of 1945 and went back to Bridgewater, MA and died on 10/20/1998 when I was almost 3.

A true hero and I hope to find his Purple Heart or anything else from him.

I made some info papers I can display with his uniform, and I also found quite a few muster rolls from Ancestry and I printed all of what I could find.

Also he was interviewed by Marine reporters and told some crazy stories, is there any way to find these?!?!

Enjoy!

post-110320-0-05488400-1375994053.jpeg

ColdWarRules

The left is what I typed up and the right is all from ancestry, from his enlistment from 1943 to 1945.

post-110320-0-35597400-1375994293.jpeg

Great way to start a USMC collection!

You mentioned that he was interviewed by USMC reporters. Do you have a copy of the article or something that could lead you to the publication? He may have been interviewed for a base newspaper or maybe by someone from LEATHERNECK magazine. Any clue could help.

ColdWarRules

Here is one brief interview from

Marine Corps Chevron, Volume 3, Number 33, 19 August 1944 — With Marines On World Battlefronts . . [ARTICLE]

http://diglib4.princeton.edu/historic/cgi-bin/historic?a=d&d=MarineCorpsChevron19440819-01.2.103&srpos=&dliv=none&e=-------en-20--1--txt-IN-police----

attachicon.gifasak.jpg

Awesome! Thanks! Hopefully I can find more! Now I wonder if he was wounded by the AA shells...that'd be one hell of a wound.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
northcoastaero

Nice grouping. I took a look through the Fifth Amphibious Corps (VAC) Reconnaissance Battalion book that I own and did not see the name George Asack in there.

• 4 years later...