US Army Class A uniform w/silver buttons

Leatherwringer

Leatherwringer

I just found this jacket I have had packed away since the 80's and am intrigued by the silver buttons.

can any forum members tell me the difference in who would wear these buttons?

thanks

P1180574_zps1ac357be.jpg

P1180575_zps84c785ec.jpg

These types of buttons were fashionable/popular in the 1960's and 70's. I believe they were marketed as "white gold" color. They are made basically the same as British Army andozied buttons, where it can be very hard to tell the difference between "silver" and "gold" color unless next to each other. An early attempt at what is now commonly called "stay bright" or "sta-brite", but the new stuff has a much more realistic color.

-Vance

Jumpin Jack

Considering the goldish reverse of the button in question, my guess is the front is "ever-bright," which is a non-tarnish version common to the Army green uniform. Jack Angolia

When my grandpa was in during the 50's you were allowed to wear silver buttons as long as the rest of your 'brass' was silver as well. Made it tougher for the guys to not conform but I'm sure some did find all silver, everything.

When I was in during the early 80's I wore the silver buttons on my Army Greens. Wearing gold or silver was just a personal preference.

Leatherwringer

thanks for the great replies! I have seen/had my share of Class A's but they have all had gold buttons!

Very nice, like Vance and Kurt said, they were an alternative, not many did this, in my brief hitch I seen it only once, at Fort Hood, in the Cav late-sh 81, a E-5, he got his buttons while in his previous tour in West Germany, a conversation piece, we all asked about it, and yes, if you wore these Silver buttons your Collar discs will be Nickle, not Brass. Back in the 50s it was differant, we,ve all seen those Nickle Domed Discs, these could be worn on the IKEs or the Khaki shirt, that was an alternative too, though it was much more common to see these Nickle collar discs in them days as opposed to the 60s 70s and early 80s. I used to have one of these in my collection, a mid 60s dated one from a post 1968 Pfc ( chevron and Rocker) of the 3rd Armd Cav both rank and shoulder patch was Flat Edge, so it dated from mid-sh 1968-69, Silver Buttons and all, with Flat Clutch Back Nickle Armor & US discs, the buttons on mine were Waterbury, and were sewn on unlike yours, which are as we see British Gaunt made, and placed on with the cotter key though a hole

By the way, what is the date of this coat? and is the hole made by punching though the fabric, or profesionally made sewn edges grommets?

Leatherwringer

By the way, what is the date of this coat? and is the hole made by punching though the fabric, or profesionally made sewn edges grommets?

the buttons with the cotter key are only on the 4 pockets and are not punched through....they jacket has the professionally made sewn edge grommets.

the rest of the buttons are sewn on. I am not very good at dating so here are some more pics to help out

P1180577_zps156893c6.jpg

P1180578_zps0be386ee.jpg

P1180579_zps10f83003.jpg

P1180580_zps808ecee7.jpg

I thought I recalled someone on USMF stating that silver buttons were common amongst personnel of armored units(?)

Not at least with that NCO at Hood in my Company at any rate, we was all 11B, he was in the 8th Inf Div, 78- 80, (meant to say late-sh 1980 rather than late-sh 8,in the previous quote, as by then, late 81 I was up in the AK) I not sure if was in the 70s late 70s a thing done exclusevly by FRG based GIs.

Right Leatherwringer, I was under the impression that the buttons on the face were held fast by cotter keys, This coat appears to be a late 80s one? not sure, we see no date along with that DSA #. Also the late 50s though the 70s had differant types of labels on the front of the intieror pocket, there are other members more hip to the tags then I am, and will recognize it straight away as to the time period

CHASEUSA11B

My dad served in Germany in the mid sixties with 3AD, he had silver buttons and said it was common over there. Since then the only coats I've seen with these kind of buttons were from Germany as well. Cool find

I bought my set at an Army-Navy store outside the main gate of Fort Sam Houston, TX in 1981. So, it was mainly medical branch guys buying them there. I also bought the collar US's and branch insignia to match. I was in the 2nd Armored Division at the time and we NEVER wore the flat top visor cap (only the overseas cap with the greens), so having matching silver cap buttons wasn't an issue for us.

• 7 months later...

My light weight "Greens", obtained at Ft. Rucker (1970), had the silver buttons. I don't remember having to make a choice, but to the best of my recollection, most of us FNG Warrants (helicopter pilots) had the silver ones. I am trying to "restore" a set and am looking for two of the larger buttons (or a full set, if necessary). I haven't had any luck finding the actual silver ones on ebay, so, if anyone has some they are willing to part with, I'd appreciate.

A/2/17 Air Cav, 101st Airborne - RVN 1971-72 Scout Pilot