US Navy-style 6-star Admiral Shoulder Board prototype

roadrunner

Vanguard makes stuff for whoever will pay. Note that the button isn't US Navy. Maybe made for a yacht club?

firefighter

Vanguard makes stuff for whoever will pay. Note that the button isn't US Navy. Maybe made for a yacht club?

Saw that.Same button as the other board that Justin tagged.Could also be foreign, not sure if any of them had a 6 Star Admiral? The only 6 Star Admiral the U.S. Navy had was ADM Dewey, but no rank insignia was ever made.

Made to sell on eBay, is my guess. And this one isn't very well done, they could have made the bottom three stars point the opposite way and it would have looked a lot better.

The only 6 Star Admiral the U.S. Navy had was ADM Dewey, but no rank insignia was ever made.

Yeah, people say that, but Dewey's rank was really more of an earlier (and therefore senior) five-star rank. Admiral Dewey did have "star" rank insignia: four stars, with gold anchors under the two end stars.

Justin B.

Can't really tell. The posted picture is TOO low-resolution to really see any details.

• 2 months later...

This is a laughable piece for sure. And its definately not US Navy.....the button gives that away......it was probably a yacht club piece or made for theatrical purposes. Interestingly, I know a old, retired collector who worked in the defenst department insignia chain-of-command for approving designs, and his collection is museum quality with unbelievable test and prototype pieces, including 6-stars types for army, navy and air force.

Admiral of the Navy, or the supposed "Six-Star Admiral" was an honorary title given to Admiral Dewey. The navy briefly considered elevating Admiral Nimitz to the Admiral of the Navy rank, but it was later rejected.

I joined another military insignia board a long time ago, and someone "claimed" to have prototype six-star rank in their possession, but they could never get their digital camera to work. I have never seen any actual evidence of this mystery insignia existing. However, there was someone handy with photoshop who whipped up some computer generated images based on the "plans" they had seen for this six-star rank for both the army and the navy. I'll post some of the pictures below.

Sorry, my Photobucket was acting all twitchy yesterday. Here are the images. These are NOT mine. Someone designed them based on some supposed plans they had seem somewhere a long time ago.

post-5589-0-67582800-1402200417.jpg

post-5589-0-24178100-1402200428.jpg

post-5589-0-66938700-1402200435.jpg

I don't think anybody is arguing whether or not there should be a 6 star rank. We're merely discussing the possibility that insignia for the rank exists.

I don't think anybody is arguing whether or not there should be a 6 star rank. We're merely discussing the possibility that insignia for the rank exists.

Yes, Understand that.I was talking about the prototype insignia.

I believe the idea was that six-star grades would be used when there was a need for another command level above multiple five-star officers. Not that I can really picture that happening, myself...

Justin B.