• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fireguyfire

fireguyfire
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97,983
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hey guys; I am lucky enough to own a 2nd Lt helmet that belonged to a Eugene F Kimple who was killed during ww2 in Italy. I have a bunch of files and documentation on him which is great, and while surfing the net I found an excellent photo of his grave which is in the Florence American military cemetery. I would love a copy of the photo of his headstone to add to the file I have on him to keep with his helmet, but the website that posted the photo (find a grave.com I think) wont let you reproduce the image at all. 

Is there a source where you can purchase a photo of these overseas headstones? I imagine they must be available for families that cant afford to make the trip overseas?

#2 unclegrumpy

unclegrumpy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,268
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

56364624_134600358875.jpg

#3 unclegrumpy

unclegrumpy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,268
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

You should be able to drag the photo onto your desktop.

#4 fireguyfire

fireguyfire
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Roger that; thanks!

#5 quack

quack
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,070
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

For others who have this question about getting photos of other overseas US graves, you can always contact the Cemetery Manager at the relevant cemetery directly.  Many of them will be happy to snap a photo and send it to you.  

#6 Custermen

Custermen
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,558
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

If the date on Lt. Kimple's headstone reflects the date he was killed in combat, then this occurred during the period of the war that is seldom written about in history books.  This was the drive from Rome after the Allies liberated it on June 4 and ended with the Allies reaching the ARNO Line on the Arno River.  The 88th Division was relieved from the front line only a few days after the date of his death.

Here is Link to a map that I created for my website.  The map represents the Allied advance from July 2 to 19th.

http://www.custermen...Map7Leghorn.GIF

#7 fireguyfire

fireguyfire
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

Custerman; thanks for the info, you seem to be very knowledgable regarding the 88th.  I am trying to collect only named helmets as to me they have even more connection to history, and I am very lucky to own this one. I have around 30 pages of service records from the archives for Lt. Kimple, and he was KIA on July 19, 1944 near a town called Gorgio, Italy. I can't seem to find any references to a place called Gorgio, but it is referenced in his files after his death several times.

Can anyone recommend a good book about the 88th? I would love to educate myself further as to where the wearer of this helmet was, and perhaps learn a little bit about the battle he was killed in. I like to put a package together for my named helmets with the records, as well as a book or 2 to stay with the helmet so in future there will be no doubt about its former history.

#8 Custermen

Custermen
  • Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

The history of the 88th Division is entitled "The Blue Devils in Italy" by Delaney.  It is still published by Battery Press of Nashville.  Lt. Kimble is in the roster of Battle Casualties.  I thought I would find him listed in appendix for Awards and Decorations but I didn't see his name under 350 Regiment.

I used my maps to see if I could find Gorgio.  No luck.  I checked Delaney's book to trace their movement at this time.

Quote from book:

Medics again took the heroism spotlight near Tojano(can not find it but did see Toiano) on the 18th (July) when "I" Company, 350th Regiment, found itself trapped deep in a minefield.  Men in both front and rear of the column were wounded seriously and the rest of the company was near panic when Pfc. Raymond E. Platt of Hubbard, Ohio and T/5 Russell W. Redfern of Saginaw, Michigan, moved into the minefield to aid them.  

Below is a small portion of a Road Map issued by the Army in 1:200,000 scale.  This section is an area South of the Arno River and just East of Pontedera(I clipped the name off on the Left Margin).  The 88 Division advance up the rough terrain, between the two main roads going North-South.  I don't know if you can read it or not.  But you see there are a lot of small towns.  Some names can be Farms or Villas and not really towns.  Sometimes the name that was recorded was an abbreviation.  The full name might have more words.  For example: the battle of San Pietro was actually at the town of San Pietro di Infine (or Saint Peter the Infant).

Well, I can't upload the image.  Sorry.  I will keep looking for that town.  

Steve

#9 Custermen

Custermen
  • Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

I pulled out my paper copy of Road Map No. 13.  I was trying to find it on a digital copy.

Still could not find GORGIO.  I thought this may be the name of a villa or a mountain or a valley or mountain range.  Also, I wonder if Lt. Kimble was wounded earlier and transported to the rear where he died days later.  

In your IM, you stated you had documentation on him.  Do you have anything that gives a grid coordinates---a 6-digit number?  

Also, check the documents that is on this site.  He has obtain and uploaded a few Ops Reports, etc. for the 88th DIvision.  

www.mtmestas.com  

Here is link to Ops Report for 350 Infantry Regiment.

http://www.mtmestas....rratives-03.htm

Mentions villas of TONDA and TIGNAMIRA and town of CASTELFALFI, BALCONEVISI and PORTICHINO and BARBIALLA.

Those towns can be found on Google Maps.

Edited by Custermen, 07 August 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#10 LetsGo82nd

LetsGo82nd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,828
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:35 AM

From the timeline that I established through his records the story has an even more tragic turn as it seems that he had only reported to the unit within a few days of his death in the midst of an offensive around Florence, Italy. While stateside he was originally assigned to the 80th Infantry Division but was transferred to a theater replacement depot with a number of other officers from the 80th. I can't help but think that perhaps his luck would have been different if he had stayed with the 80th.

I remember going through those records and I think part of the reason that there isn't much information available on Lt. Kimple in the unit histories is because he had only been with the unit for a couple of days before his death.  I believe in one of the documents it states that he was KIA by enemy machine gun fire.  If I remember correctly he arrived as a replacement to the division headquarters and then was assigned to the 350th as a platoon leader.  It was really a tragic story and one that happened all to often. 

I think I did eventually find Gorgio on the map but its Italian spelling was different than what was in the personnel files.

Edited by LetsGo82nd, 07 August 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#11 fireguyfire

fireguyfire
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

Thanks cluster man and Jeremy; very cool to know more about his history.

#12 Custermen

Custermen
  • Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think I did eventually find Gorgio on the map but its Italian spelling was different than what was in the personnel files.

And that is the problem with many of those Italian names.  

I was trying to help someone locate a name that the GI said he read on a sign.  We couldn't find the town.  After their visit to Bologna, they reported back to me that the sign was the name of a resturant on the out-skirts of the town.

And see the example that I found in the official history of the 88th, quoted above . . .

near Tojano(can not find it but did see Toiano) 

Edited by Custermen, 07 August 2013 - 10:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)