M3 AP Mine information

pattyd82ab

I'm looking to recreate/ purchase an inert M3 AP mine. Does anyone know of someone that has/ produces them? Or, does anyone have dimensions, senciling instructions, and photos that I could use to recreate one?

Thanks!

Johan Willaert

I have one, but the stencilling has become illisible...

Will try to get it out and measure it up this weekend... Manual should prescribe markings... Will look for that too..

post-92-0-24150000-1375288658.jpg

Johan Willaert

Don't remember where I got his , but markings should be

1. Black lettering (All capitals 1/4" to 5/16" high) on the outside would read:

MINE,
ANTI-PERSONNEL,M3
LOT 4473-20
P.A.-7-1942

Thanks! I see that it has multiple holes. Any idea how they plugged the ones that weren't used?

Johan Willaert

According to an article in the French Militaria Magazine (September 2009) dimensions of the mine are:

8.9 x 8.9 x 13.6cm (3 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 5 3/8")

The three holes for the igniters are closed from the factory by means of plastic screw type caps.

There's a hole on each of the large sides and one on one of the small sides... Opposite small side has the large filling opening closed with a disc!

These are photos of opposite sides of the nicest M3 mine I've seen. It belongs to a friend in MO. Sorry the image of the manufacturer's stencil is a bit blurry but it should help get the markings right.

PICT0041.JPG

PICT0043.JPG

The fuse holes don't seem to be centered, do you have a measurement of how far off center they are? Also, could you snap a photo of the "Disk"? It appears that the steel is 1/4 or 3/16" think, is this correct? Thanks for the help!

Coconut Harry

These are photos of opposite sides of the nicest M3 mine I've seen. It belongs to a friend in MO. Sorry the image of the manufacturer's stencil is a bit blurry but it should help get the markings right.

PICT0041.JPG

PICT0043.JPG

Wow!! you ain't kidding...this is the best one I've seen and first one stenciled on both sides....and with different color lettering also!! .... these are very rare mines to find today... thanks very much for sharing the photos.......

P.S......of course if he ever wants to sell or trade it I'd be very interested to add it to my collection.....I have a couple inert proper fuzes waiting for it here :-D

Regards, Steve