"War & Peace" 2013....the vehicles, part 1. VERY pic heavy!

Sabrejet

Well forum-ers, I've just returned from this year's "War & Peace Revival" show...called "revival" because for the first time in 30 years it re-located to a new showground, namely the old racecourse at Folkestone, near the English Channel coast in the county of Kent. Those of us who were "W&P" regulars had a slight sense of trepidation ahead of this year's show because of the upheaval. However, in the event we need not have worried because the show was bigger and better than ever! To say it's a VAST event is an understatement! There is nothing else in the world which comes close to matching its grand scale! imagine if you will at least a square mile covered with thousands of vintage military vehicles, encampments, living history displays and acres of traders and you'll maybe get some idea of what it's like. In a word...awesome! Logistically, it's a tour de force, especially this year as it was the first time at the new venue. Yes, there were understandably a few minor hiccups but no doubt these will be addressed ahead of next year's show.

Geographically, the show site is very close to the Channel Tunnel /Euro-shuttle terminal, plus the channel ferry ports such as Dover, so access is very easy from the European mainland. Consequently, many of the participants and traders were from Belgium, France, Netherlands, Germany and beyond...plus the majority British contingent! A truly pan-European affair! The time, trouble and expense these guys go to is incredible. Imagine bringing a Sherman from Sweden, A Diamond T from Denmark or just a Jeep from Belgium...but these guys do it unfailingly, year in year out!

The UK has been in the grip of a heatwave for several weeks now, with temperatures averaging 30 degrees. This has been tough on men and machines! Living under canvas in WW2 combat gear in these conditions isn't easy! Everything is covered in a fine layer of dust which, although a nuisance, makes the vehicles look somehow more authentic, IMHO!

As usual, I took a bunch of pics which I am about to upload. The files were very large so I had no choice but to downsize them, which, rather disappointingly has reduced their quality a little by making them a little grainy, but unfortunately there's nothing I can do about that!

I'll focus on the many US vehicles first, then throw in some of the others to give the flavour of the event. There were literally hundreds of Jeeps so I'll do a separate Jeep thread tomorrow!

PLEASE NOTE THE UPLOAD WILL TAKE A LOOOOONG TIME, SO IF YOU WISH TO COMMENT AT ALL, PLEASE BE PATIENT AND HANG IN THERE UNTIL I GET TO THE END. THANK YOU! ;)

Autocar and British glider-borne 75mm Pack Howitzer, with jeep and trailer...Market Garden style!

post-8022-0-80123500-1374520385.jpg

post-8022-0-95761400-1374520411.jpg