Vol II Heroes In Our Midst Status Report

Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack

We're already getting questions regarding the status of Vol II of HIOM. Everything goes extremely well. Bender has 450 pages already finished. The remainder will address the various uniforms worn by the para, glider and troop carrier personnel. We invite all of you who might have material for input into this or subsequent volumes to contact myself or Jake. All will be credited. Vol II will run in excess of 500 pages, in the same format as Vol I, and will be the Christmas release for this year, which means November or early December. All orders received prior to release of the book will be accorded a mini-mum of a 10% discount. Jack Angolia

• 1 month later...

I have just finished proofing 110 pages dealing with the Troop Carrier Command. You will be amazed with the number and rarity of the squadron patches that accompany the history of the units. For those of you who feel you can wait and get the book at the Amazon reduced rate, no luck there. There will be no under-cutting of the price, no signed, numbered copies coming from Amazon for this work. I am impessed by the number of Forum members that have stepped forward to input material for Vol II. We are still on schedule for a November/early December release date for Vol II. Any questions, just ask. Jack Angolia

• 3 months later...
Brian Dentino

Jack,

I sent you a PM a couple weeks ago, but seems that you have not been around? Hope all is okay.

Jake, can you please PM me when/if you see this?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. First, a belated Merry Christmas and a timely wish for a happy, healthy and hopefully prosperous New Year! Yes, I've been out of the loop, having just spent 35 days on the Atlantic high seas. While in Montevideo I was able to photograph the original anchor and very large range finder taken from the Graf Spee after it was scuttled, but before it went down. When I got back, my first call was to my publisher for a status report. The hang up on Vol II is considerably more data in coming in on the jump uniforms to include the modified versions. My best guess is that Vol II should be released sometime in February. Please keep in mind that members of the Forum will receive a 10% pre-publication discount (larger for those that have contributed to the book.) I still have a few numbered copies Vol I should anyone be interested You can order directly from me at LTC(Ret.) John R. Angolia, 3949 W. 151st Terrace, Leawood, KS, 66224. Good collecting to all. Jack Angolia

• 3 weeks later...

I touched base with Bender yesterday to get a status on Vol II. It will cover Glider troops, Troop Carrier Command, Pathfinders, and jump uniforms--not to mention addendum of some addition documented invasion airborne helmets. However, thinking that it might be ready for relese in February will not happen--largely due to the extended New Year holiday that the Chinese take. So, that being said, let's hope for March or April for release. Where cost is concerned, it might be impacted by the postal increase hitting us on 26 January, but it shouldn't be much. I'll keep everyone posted. Jack Angolia

Recieved a copy of the book and I cant put it down after I pick it up.The information and pictures of both period and collectors additions are over the top.When ever I crack the cover open its 2 hours later and Im still looking at it.

Look forward to additional volumes.

RD

• 1 month later...

Just got off the phone to my publisher regarding Vol II. All addendum has been set up and proofed. The book will be sent to the printers by the end of next week. Anticipated release date should be early April at the latest. As soon as I get the book cost, I'll let everyone know so they can take advantage of the pre-publication discount. Please keep in mind our postal system has raised the cost of posting printed matter, but it is minimul. All those who had ordered Vol I will receive the same numbered copy when ordering subsequient volumes. If you haven't already ordered Vol I, I still have numbered copies available, and this will become your number throughout the series. When you order, please do so through me. My mailing address is posted above. Thanks! Jack Angolia

• 1 month later...
Jumpin Jack

Brian et al, I'm as excited as the rest of you regarding Vol II. Best guess is Late this month or early next month for release. For those of you interested in the glider troops, there will be extensive coverage regarding the glider themselves, and the men who braved this form of transport. One of the high points will be the coverage of the Troop Carrier Command as you will be seeing the squadron patches for most of these units. At last, we will be getting into the discussion of the jump uniforms with 40+ pages direct-ing attention to the jump boots. Please keep in mind that to qualify for the Forum discount, your order has to be paid for prior to the actual release of Vol II. I'll get the costing published as soon as I get it. However, you can probably anticipate it to be about the same as Vol I. For orders, my mailing address is LTC(Ret.) John R. Angolia, 3949 W. 151st Terr., Leawood, KS, 66224. Those of you who have already ordered Vol I, your number will remain the same for all successive volumes. Jack Angolia

Jumpin Jack

Wow! Vol. II of Heroes In Our Midst is finally at the printers. They should be in my hands before the end of March. While the cost plus postage exceeds $100. I'm holding fast at $100. Plus, if you order before they are received in my hands, take $10. off the price as a Forum member special discount ($20. if you contributed towards the subject matter of Vol II.) If you ordered Vol I, you will get the same signed/serial number for Vol II and subsequent volumes. If you haven't ordered Vol I, I still have a few copies available priced as above. To order, my address is LTC(Ret.) John R. Angolia, 3949 W. 151st Terrace, Leawood, KS, 66224. Foreign orders will have a postal impact of $62. HOWEVER, for those of you living in a EU country, your postal cost will cost considerably less. Check with me before you make payment as it will be to your advantage. Now that I have your attention, Vol III text is complete, and currently being worked on by my publisher. My guess is you will be seeing this by the end of the year. With great anticipation. Jack

Jumpin Jack

Since the interest is there, I'll bring it up again. I would hate to see any Forum member lose out on their discount simply for not knowing orders are now being taken. Jack Angolia

501stGeronimo

Wow! Vol. II of Heroes In Our Midst is finally at the printers. They should be in my hands before the end of March. While the cost plus postage exceeds $100. I'm holding fast at $100. Plus, if you order before they are received in my hands, take $10. off the price as a Forum member special discount ($20. if you contributed towards the subject matter of Vol II.) If you ordered Vol I, you will get the same signed/serial number for Vol II and subsequent volumes. If you haven't ordered Vol I, I still have a few copies available priced as above. To order, my address is LTC(Ret.) John R. Angolia, 3949 W. 151st Terrace, Leawood, KS, 66224. Foreign orders will have a postal impact of $62. HOWEVER, for those of you living in a EU country, your postal cost will cost considerably less. Check with me before you make payment as it will be to your advantage. Now that I have your attention, Vol III text is complete, and currently being worked on by my publisher. My guess is you will be seeing this by the end of the year. With great anticipation. Jack

I was wanting to know, did the OSS groups of mine and wings make it in the book? Im sure they did lol

Jumpin Jack

Not yet time for the OSS. Remember, this will be a five volume series. As for the pocket patches, I won't know until I see the book. Regards, Jack

• 1 month later...
Jumpin Jack

Apparently, while there has been considerable verbal interest in Vol II, there has been little follow up to take advantage of the pre-publication 10% discount (20% to those who have contributed to Vol II.) The book is at the printers. I'm hoping to have it in my hands late this month or early next month. If you wish to see the cover art, etc., go to Heroes In Our Midst.net. Those failing to order Vol II will lose their Vol I number to someone else. If you haven't already ordered a copy of Vol I, I have a limited of copies left, and this will become your number for Vol II to the remainder of the series. My mailing address for your order is above. Jack Angolia

vintageproductions

At the Pomona show I got to look at the Galley proof, and all I can say is wow. I actually think it is better then the first volume.

There were a few patches, but I think Roger said the big patch sections will be in volume III.

Jumpin Jack

Just chatted with my publisher. Vol II has been printed, and shipped via boat mail. I won't know when it arrives until it actually is delivered to my door. Those of you who have ordered from me will have your book sent out the next day. Those of you who have ordered from Jake, there will be about a week delay in posting. Progress goes well on Vol III with the publisher. Just as a reminder, the pre-publication discount ends when the books are in my hands. This does not apply to those who have generously provided input to Vol II. If you have not already sent your order payment, I suggest you do so quickly to take advantage of the Forum discount. Jack Angolia

• 2 weeks later...
Jumpin Jack

I find it difficult to believe that, considering the reviews on Vol I, there is insufficient interest in Vol II to take advantage of the Forum pre-publication discount. I can only assume that the lack of interest stems from the fact that Jake has not yet been able to get the new volume posted on the web site as they have changed the format on us. The size is the same, the number of pages is about the same, there's massive color plates. totally new information, and the price is the same even though we were faced with price increases. Cost to Forum members is $90. ppd or $80. ppd to those that have contributed to the subject matter in Vol II. Subject matter is Troop Carrier Command, Glider and Glider Troops, Pathfinder, Jump Uniforms to include Jump Boots, Service Uniforms, and Addendum to Vol I. What more can I say? Jack Angollia

This isn't an area that I collect, but I thought Vol 1 was cool enough, count me in for a copy of Vol 2 as well. Hopefully others will join in as well - this isn't an expensive education on a very significant portion of "popular" militaria...and besides, the books really highlight the amazing service of these brave men. Anyone interested in the Army, Marine Corps, or just military history in general NEEDS to buy a copy for their reference library.

The book isn't cheap, but in the world of quality reference books, the two don't normally go hand in hand...you get what you pay for and in this case, I am certain it's top of the line.

Thanks to Jack and all for their hard work at putting this together. Now that my own reference book is at the publisher, I can really appreciate the effort they've put into this.

I can't wait to see Vol 2!

Dave

Jumpin Jack

Thank you Dave for your kind words. I don't think you or others will be disappointed. I had a meeting on Tuesday with a few former senior airborne generals who are anxious to see the entire series to come to fruition as they are most please with what they have seen thus far.

On a connected subject, you may or may not be aware that our political leadership has taken on the mission to disband the 82nd Airborne Division to save a mere two million dollars. Most of us know that a future reconstitution of the division would cost tens of millions! This is our quick reaction force, and needs to be saved. Please take the time to contact your Senators and Congressmen, and ask them to have the powers that be reconsider this absurd measure.

Thank you all! Jack Angolia

Hi Jack

Just paid for my copy (signed 189) from Jake.

This series of books is not just aimed at Airborne enthusiasts but will appeal to those who are interested in general US military history , whether your US or overseas based. Personally , i would of had to buy 4 + books to cover volume I alone, and there is more in it, this series is a compendium/ tomb of information , maybe the hard core airborne enthusiasts already have or know it all, but at least it has saved me money and i pay $55.0 US for shipping.

Not only that i believe this will become a collectors bible for future reference.

Thanks Jake /Jack keep up the good work and dedication.

Phill

P/S personally i do not know Jake or Jack all i am interested in is the quality of the research and how it is presented.

Jumpin Jack

Time is running out my friends. If you want to secure your number, you should get your order in to me. This will be a volume many will want to have in their library. Jack Angolia