Rare WW2 Camo Face Cream from Marine Sniper KIA On Okinawa

king802

This rare WW2 Camo face cream is made by Cosmetics Company COTY of New York. It came from the recent estate sale of belongings of 553943 PVT Ralph H St Clair - USMCR.

He was a sniper serving with Co D, 2nd Bn, 9th Marines, 6th Marine Division.

Ralph was listed as MIA on May 19, 1945 during the Battle of Sugar Loaf Hill on Okinawa.

His remains were finally recovered on March 30th, 1956.

He was laid to rest in the Honolulu National Cemetery - section G grave 536.

He was 18 years old.

Rich

post-1878-0-21387700-1373656912.jpg

The Marine Corps used this type of face cream on Peleliu.

The Famous painting of a Marine running into White Beach on Peleliu.

post-1878-0-73040000-1373657335.jpg

I'm not denying this, but I find it very odd that this was in the stuff that was sent home. It just doesn't seem like something they would send home- I'm assuming it's a private purchase as if issue then it most probably would have reissued to another man, and certainly is an item that would be more useful to the rest of his company than being sent home.

I wonder if this was something purchased for him in the states by family, and either never sent, or in returned mail.

Certainly a story in there someplace.

And of course by the First Airborne Task Force during Operation Dragoon - The Invasion of Southern France.

Rich

post-1878-0-07631900-1373657439.jpg

This Marines grouping was sold recently and included lots of things found on his body. This well may have been private purchase and never used. Either way it's still a very rare piece of kit.

Rich

The cream has clearly never been used. At a guess I'd say this was returned with his belongings and mail.

There is no evidence of this type cream being used on Okinawa.

I didn't mean to imply that this was found on his body but was certainly part of his belongings.

We will never know for sure.

Rich

This thread is in the discussion forum, so I assume it is safe to give an opinion? I am not passing judgement on anyone's opinion, just stating mine.

I have no thoughts about how this cream came into the possession of the Marine, but it is within my scope of thought to believe that it could have been send home with his personal effects, for whatever reason.

Thanks Justin. I was last offered some of these 8 years ago but I declined due to the excessive cost. These were very reasonable.

Rich