patriotic comic book Walt Disney's Comics & Stories

disneydave

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories comic book. July 1945. The inspiring message to buy war bonds was signed with the facsimile signatures of several American war leaders and strategists. I love the Revolutionary War illustration.

wdcspatri.JPG

The message on the flag stated:

TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE

Your sons, husbands and brothers who are standing today upon the battlefronts are fighting for more than victory in war. They are fighting for a new world of freedom and peace.

We, upon whom has been placed the responsibility of lending the American forces, appeal to you with all possible earnestness to invest in War Bonds to the fullest extent of your capacity.

Give us not only the needed implements of war, but the assurance and backing of the a united people so necessary to hasten the victory and speed the return of your fighting men.

Here is a list of the men who lent their signatures to the drawing:

George Marshall: the first American Army General to be promoted to 5 star rank, Marshall was the Army Chief of Staff and was once referred to as "the organizer of victory" by British Prime Minister Winston Churchill. Marshall selected Dwight Eisenhower as Supreme Commander. As Secretary of State he developed the so-called Marshall Plan which helped rebuild European countries devastated by war. He was twice named TIME magazine's "Man of the Year" and he won the Nobel Peace Prize.

William Leahy: the first American Naval Officer to hold the rank of Fleet Admiral and the first to hold 5 star rank. Leahy had an amazing career that included service in the Spanish-American War, Chief of Naval Operations during World War II, Chief of Staff to President Roosevelt (effectively the first Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff), Governor of Puerto Rico and Ambassador to France.

Douglas MacArthur: General of the Army and Field Marshall of the Philippine Army. As the Allied commander in the Philippines at the start of World War II, he was later evacuated aboard a patrol torpedo boat from his headquarters on Corregidor. MacArthur triumphantly returned to the Philippines in October 1944 and eventually accepted Japan's formal surrender aboard the mighty battleship USS Missouri.

Ernest King: was the Commander in Chief, United States Fleet and Chief of Naval Operations, was a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and was the second most senior officer after William Leahy. King was also the second Naval officer to be promoted to 5 star rank.

Dwight Eisenhower: in February 1944 Eisenhower became the Supreme Allied Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force in Europe, where he planned the Allied invasion of France (D-Day). He was eventually elected President of the United States serving in that role from 1953 to 1961.

Chester Nimitz: Commander-in-Chief of Pacific Forces, Chief of the Navy's Bureau of Navigation and a foremost expert on submarine warfare. Nimitz signed for the United States during Japan's formal surrender ceremony.

Henry "Hap" Arnold: aviation pioneer who flew with the Wright Brothers. Arnold was the only American to achieve 5 star rank in two of the services. Arnold advocated the creation of an independent air force, which until that happened, was part of the Army.

Dave - I remember having this issue as a kid. I was 7 when it came out and the war was ending. I have a beat-up copy in my "collection". Nostalgia!

Bobgee

Glad you enjoyed seeing it again Bob!

There were several different war related issues put out between 1941 and 1945. Several issues featured war bond promotions on the front cover, while others had cover illustration related to rationing. Some issues featured Disney-designed war insignia on the inside front and back covers, there was a Gremlins story and a saboteur storyline as well.

I'll post more of the war related covers as time permits.

David