Can anyone identify this patch?

westernfed

Just won this auction on ebay, they said it was a chaplain's assistants coat, based on the motto which was used by the chaplain's corps and also the 108 General Hospital. I have searched both but have not been able to find the patch associated to either association. it is located on the left sleeve cuff, the coat also has an CIB and infantry collar disc's. Anyway I am wondering if it is a separate infantry company/battalion/regiment?

Any thoughts? usually I wait till I get the jacket in to post but the suspense is killing me!

Thanks

Ryan

post-39901-0-98010800-1373486262.jpg

Yeah that for the chaplains in the us army. I checked out boy scouts programs, a south african regiment and american an foreign universities with the same motto, but to no avail... Could this be an artillery unit's crest?? Because of the colours, I mean... Puzzling...

I am wondering if it might be a patch design that was unauthorized or never adopted. It being on the cuff and all I am assuming it was a smaller unit designation of some type.

Ryan

I KNEW IT WOULD BE ON HERE!!!!!

thanks for confirming what it is!

do you think patients wore this badge for some reason? just trying to figure out why an infantrymen would have it on his coat (that is if the coat was not put together)

any thoughts?

Ryan

Congrats on a great, hard to find insignia. Interesting you were able to win It with no idea what it was, as there was some decent completion on that auction.

As for why it would be on an infantry jacket, we will probably never know. I doubt it would be worn by patients, but maybe. It's in the "wrong" place for a DI, which is what I believe this actually is.

-Vance

Correction, I see In the other thread that this insignia was worn on the cuff. Either way, if bet the wearer of this was assigned to the hospital to fill some sort of banch immaterial role after spending some time on the line and earning a CIB.

Vzemke,

Thanks for the congrats, I was thinking maybe the patch on the cuff was used to allow access into the hospital or something, since it was in Paris I am assuming they would give patients who were going through reabilitation passes into the city. but that is just speculation at this point.

I am a sucker for cuff patches, I picked up a airborne coat a few years ago with a small parachute attatched to the cuff and that got my interest up in cuff patches on WWII US uniforms. Also after many hours looking at coats on here, ebay and other places I have trainied myself to recongnize unique items even if I dont neccessarly know the Identification. Hopefully when I get the coat in it will give up a few more secerets I will let you guys know what I find out when I get it in.

Take care

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone,

Got the jacket in the other day, unfortunatly no name, but as I expected there is a shadow of a patch on the left sholder, anyway I wanted to see what you guys think it might be? I am assuming it is an infantry division that fell under 3rd Army.

post-39901-0-25095300-1374687109.jpg

How does a CIB winner end up with a Med or Hospital unit? Everyone has their breaking point and when these guys could stand no more they were evacuated for Battle Fatigue/Stress or Exaustion for treatment at some Med unit. If possible they were reassigned to non-combat duty with rear area units, of course some never did recover.

It's hard to say and unfortunately there are no markings in the coat to help ID the coat so I can request his records