Korean War Captured 7.7 Japanese Rifle

Nkomo

I also collect Korean War bringbacks. I have several of the North Korean flags, some shoulder boards, South Korean flags, etc. However, this has to be my favorite Korean War bringback I've ever found. To clarify, this gun technically belongs to my dad, but I have it displayed in my own "war room".

This is a Japanese 7.7 rifle used by the North Koreans, captured by an American, and then decorated by a South Korean for him to bring home as a war trophy. As you can tell, the stock has a hard black lacquer applied (sometimes called "Japaned") and has mother of pearl inlays on the stock.

* gun not for sale*

003.JPG

007.JPG

Very nice Japanese Type 99 (7,7 mm x 58) rifle. Thanks for sharing.Tom

Thanks for the compliment.

thats a very unique war trophy, used in two wars, probably used in China during WWII then reused again in Korea

a very cool combat used piece, you dont see many like this with the customized artwork

badash5946

Korean War bringbacks are really hard to find. That rifle is gorgeous! And that's coming from a guy who likes his weapons "as found". Having been stationed there in the early 70's, it is so typical of what local artesans would do. I've got a couple of 91/30's, and a Tok, can't seem to find a flag since I sold mine at a time before I was interested in KW items. I'd love to see more of your KW collection posted.

norwegian blue

thank you for showing this amazing trophy. I'm also very keen on seeing your other KW bringbacks!

Ive collected Japanese rifles and gear for a long time and never have seen something like this .Its a great rifle if you are on gun boards should post it in the Japanese section they will like it.

David

• 5 years later...

greetings; I have a rifle like this that I think was done by the same craftsman. the one I have was sprorterized prior to the black laquer and silver and pearl work. it is also one of the rifles converted to 30.06 by the u.s. govt. for the s. Korean army. if I can figure out how to post a picture I will this week end. randy