FURY

kammo-man

Thanks for sharing the pics and souvenirs fellas. Having only been around for the batallion scenes, it's great to see all the hardwork that went into the other locations for the rest of the film, and especially those crates rob!

I Don't suppose anyone managed to get any pics of the Initial batallion set they wouldn't mind sharing?

As I said to Owen, there was a cracking shot of me (if I do say so myself) on the mood boards in wardrobe. I'm pretty sure it was by an official photographer, but what I wouldn't give to get a copy. Who knows what happened to them though.

Again, thanks for sharing. The next few weeks are going to go too slow in anticipation for the release.

My problem is horrible.

I was downloading my camera with 1500 pictures on it and my computer dumped them instead of uploading.

The laptop nearly went out a second story window into space.

All I got left is a few pics on my older back up computer that I managed to save.

Uuuuurg

I will shoot myself in the heAd then.

No luck in recovering those pics? That would be a shame. Maybe a computer guy can help recovering them?

Ive heard of photo recovery from the memory card, maybe its possible and worth a shot.....i used to be IT for Olympus Camera 14 years ago and have heard of the process, i think you would have to send your cameras memory card to the factory and they can try to recover pics for you....mike

90thDivHistory

I sold Mr. Ayers a complete set of armored DVDs from Combat Reels back in 2010 and asked him then if he was working on a film about armored troops, I had recognized his name from U-571, but I never received a response. Not surprising as things are very tight lipped when in the idea stage. Well I guess I was correct in my assumption. I tried to reach out to him again recently to see if our research DVDs were helpful, but again got no response, also not surprising, as Hollywood directors have plenty to do, other than answering questions from nobodys.

The trailers look great, but the one thing I do not understand is that it was very obvious that the 2d AD used names based on Company assignment on the sides of their tanks, not on the barrels. I wonder why they choose to change this, is it more dramatic to have it on the barrel?

I am happy to see that he was able to make things look so close to the real thing from what little I have seen so far. I am also vert excited to get to view it soon and would really love to know how helpful our research films were to him in the writing and directing process to see the real use of armor in WWII and a grand scale.

I envy all of you that got to "play war" on the set, that has always been a lifelong dream of mine. Strange that I am an almost 20 year IATSE member and have never been able to work on a war film, Just to clarify, IASTE is the union behind movies, television and Broadway theatre. Anyway looks like you guys had a blast.

Respectfully,

Tyler Alberts

90thDivHistory

Names on main gun to ID tanks better.

Nothing more

Nothing less

Kammo-man,

Do you mean for the movie, it was easier to ID them during filming or the change was made for the audience to ID them within the film. As I stated, out of the 4 hours of 2nd AD footage I have seen no 2nd AD tanks that have names on the barrels, only on the sides and they are company specific. But hell if that is the only noticeable difference then they have done one hell of a job, because as we have seen in most WWII movies they have about 10 issues in the first few minutes. Thanks for the reply, and sorry about your camera, that sucks.

Respectfully,

Tyler Alberts

Tyler ,

Each tank has so much gear stowed on it to include logs on the side its hard to pick apart which tank was what.

The decision was made to name them on the barrel.

It was not a mistake but as a clear ID made easier.

There was endless meetings about this aspect before the decision was made weighing pros and cons.

IDing the tanks won.

I hope my answer clears up any doubts you may have had.

90thDivHistory

Is that color image confirmed 2nd AD?

Just to clarify, when you say there were several meetings held to discuss the identification, do you mean film production meetings or actual wartime meetings? If they are from wartime meetings could you cite the source, Im very interested in these types of WWII minutia.

Thanks for sharing the color photo, was it a vet personal photo or from the signal corps?

I pulled some images of confirmed 2nd AD tanks from the signal corps films in late '45 which are loaded as well and as you see they do not have the names on the barrels. One has a cut out of camo for the name still on the side, another one from F Company is named Five by Five still has it on the side as well, and several have their barrels wrapped for camo not denoting any name. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just have not seen a 2nd AD tank with the name on the barrel in the more than 4 hours of footage that I have reviewed. WWII images happen to be a specialty of mine, much like I would assume camo is yours. Perhaps it was done in a division other than the 2nd AD. I just can't find any supporting evidence of it in the 2nd Ad, but then again none of us are perfect in our research, perhaps it was quite common so I'm willing to learn something new if it is out there. But if the 2nd AD did do it, I would just expect to see it on at least one of the tanks in the films.

Not trying to say that you guys did anything wrong, sometimes combining facts or changing things a little has to be done in order to serve the overall purpose of a film, a fact that that I understand is needed most of the time, however it is not considered a mistake, just a slight manipulation of reality.

Respectfully,

Tyler Alberts

post-2231-0-19028600-1412553822.jpg

We seen all these pics by the way.

Great combos of different protection.

Different combos were tried but one must make a Sherman look like a Sherman as not to confuse to much.

We are avid historians who live for funky variations in armor no doubt but its best to keep it recognizable.

The color one I show is one I took During a break in filming.