WWII Captured German Flag - By the 7th Engineers, 5th Infantry Division

KASTAUFFER

This small flag was sent to my Great Uncle by a buddy of his who was in the 7th Engineer Bn, 5th Infantry Division in 1945 from Germany. My Great Uncle kept it hidden in a closet and showed it to no one for years because he was embarrassed to possess something with a swastika on it. He gave it to me 25 years ago and I have it on display in my collection room. It is still the only German flag I own.

Kurt

MVC-101L.JPG

MVC-102L.JPG

The man who captured this flag and gave it to my Uncle passed away in 2012

vet_ffffff.gif

Mr. Harold J. Degler, 87, formerly of Mohnton, died on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at Green Hills Manor in Cumru Twp.

He is the husband of Emily R. Degler, also a guest at Green Hills Manor.

Born in Reading, he was the son of the late George K. and Ada (Loose) Degler.

He was a graduate of Muhlenberg High School. After graduation, he joined the U.S. Army serving with the 7th Engineer Battalion in Northern France, Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe during W.W. II, earning four Bronze Stars. After his discharge from the service in 1945 he went to work for Clark Equipment Company and then Brown Trailers in Reading from where he retired.

He was a member of Saint John's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Mohnton. He was also a former member of the Goodwill Fire Co.; Pike Twp. Sportsman Assoc.; Adamstown Post # 8795 V.F.W.; Reamstown Athletic Assoc. He enjoyed fishing, hunting, traveling and camping.

He is survived by several nieces and nephews.

Relatives and Friends are invited to attend his Funeral Service on Friday, January 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM from Giles & Yeckley Funeral Home and Crematorium, Inc., 21 Chestnut Street, Mohnton, with Pastor E. Robert Burkhart, Jr. officiating.

A viewing will be held on Friday, January 13, 2012 from 10:00 to 11:00 AM at the funeral home.

Interment will be in Forest Hills Memorial Park in Reading.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made in his memory to the Heartland Hospice, 4 Park Plaza, Park Road North, Wyomissing, PA 19610.

Very nice flag. My Step-Grandmother gave me an Italian Beretta that her first husband had brought home from WWII. She hated the gun and later passed it on to me as long as I promised to get rid of it. I fought with her about this but decided it was her choice. I sold it years ago at an O.V.M.S. show and used the money to further my collection. It is interesting to see what people think of the items brought back by our vets. Scott.

• 1 month later...
USCapturephotos

Love this signed flag especially because of the unit information added to it as well. I have 3 Gi captured and signed NSDAP flags. One came from Maryland and I was able to find the living daughter of one of the GI's who signed it. She ended up giving me many of her dads original snapshots taken in the ETO...many of those were of him holding German war souvenirs including an MP 44. Thanks for sharing!

Paul

• 4 years later...