M1A1 Thompson SMG

all1knew

Hello all,

I have this Thompson that has been fully demilled to BATF standards. The receiver retains all the original portions and is complete with its markings. I do not really collect firearms and I would appreciate a little help with this one. Can anyone fill me in on exactly what this is here and please provide a rough estimate of value? I picked this up through an Estate and don't know the history of how these were compiled post-war. Any feedback is welcome and looking forward to learning exactly what all I have here.

Thanks in advance!

William Kramer

hbtcoveralls

Wartime production M1A1 appears to be in original finish and probably Savage manufacture. Sling is not military or a Thompson piece. Very nice I sent you a PM

Tom Bowers

Cobrahistorian

The OP clearly states in his opening sentence that it is deactivated per BATFE regulations.

Trooper B.A.R

I been looking for a deactivated one for display. Sarco has a kit I been looking at, all the parts. Wonder if anyone ever put one together.

Thanks for posting an revising my interest in a de-active one.

The point is: do you have BATF PAPERWORK? Even if -- to your eye -- it is deactivated, as an UNpapered gun you cannot just sell it.

Back in the 1950s, when Treasury first had a policy at all about "DEWATs" (Deactivated war trophies), the only paperwork was a letter on Treasury stationery, showing the model and serial number, addressed to the applicant/owner. IIRC no further, more specific paperwork was required until 1968. Things changed again in IIRC 1986.