Heavy Duty Torso Mannequins

Wolfhounds

Does anyone know where I can find a couple of heavy duty torso mannequins? I have 2 field gear displays, and the torso mannequins I bought from Webster's just can't handle the weight, especially when you adjust them upwards, further from the base.

I've scoured the Internet from eBay to Amazon, to Google searches, but I was curious as to what other members may use when displaying heavy field gear on torso mannequins???

I'm not into the whole "make your own mannequin", so I don't even consider that an option. However, I do want nice quality matching mannequins, which can hold the weight of a field gear display. I don't mind paying for the quality, but I don't want to spend a fortune either.

Any thought, tips, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!

Sorry guys, I should have elaborated more. TRR pretty much nailed it, as the Webster's torso's just can't really support the weight of a, more or less, full field gear display. I have 2 different displays, one from Nam, and one from WWII. The one from Nam is a full M1956 gear display, pistol belt, ammo grenades, basically everything. The one from WWII is similar, as is is an almost complete M19128 haversack system complete with M1 ammo belt and so on and so forth.

The webster's display are great for displaying dress uniforms, but a fully loaded field gear torso, simply cannot support the weight as the base is wood and they have a wooden dowel rod which is only glued into the wooden base.

I'm at work right now, so I can't take pic's, but hopefully this gives everyone the general problem I am facing.

Thanks,

Sean

I have 3 homemade mannequins. I made them with 2x4s and some smaller wood and a pillow. It's jut a simple base and one straight up 2x4 about 5.5 feet tall. I place a pillow on the stand and tape around it so it forms curves like a body and then I put my jackets and gear on it. I have had one full with Vietnam m56 gear and an m1 helmet on there for almost 2 years and its held up great.

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Tasken_Lander

^

This is the EXACT mannequin I purchased from Websters to display my full gear D-Day assault 29th ID soldier with. The wooden stands they come with are a JOKE. I was recommended by a fellow collector to buy one of these metal stands from here:

http://www.mannequinland.com/jerseyform.htm

formtr13.jpg TrimLine BoldLine

Brushed Metal Bases 10" x 26" High

...as they seem to do the job well. I haven't purchased one yet myself but I plan to real soon. I'll post a review/update when I do.

^

This is the EXACT mannequin I purchased from Websters to display my full gear D-Day assault 29th ID soldier with. The wooden stands they come with are a JOKE. I was recommended by a fellow collector to buy one of these metal stands from here:

...as they seem to do the job well. I haven't purchased one yet myself but I plan to real soon. I'll post a review/update when I do.

I don't want to "dog" Webster's to much as their torso' are good for dress uniform, but I do have to agree with you that assembling a full field gear display on their torso's is a major no no. The glue which holds the wooden dowel rod in the base actually broke on my WWII field gear display. I have to lean it backwards against the wall in order for it to stay upright. Thisis the exact reason I am searching for a better alternative. Thanks for the link, as I bookmarked it, and I will check it out at a later time.

Sean

^

After checking out the bases in the link you listed, I wonder if the bases will fit onto the Webster's torso? It looks like you can buy the bases separately, but in order to save a little money, I wonder if the metal support rods will fit into a Webster's foam torso mannequin ???

Any thoughts on this ???

Thanks,

Sean

Also, which type of base would be more durable and distribute the weight more evenly, a round, square, or tripod base ???

More food for thought for those with more experience in this area!

Sean

I have a full Iraqi Republican Guard soldier on a Webster's torso which is actually the one shown here, only customized to look Arabic. It holds the field gear weight just fine but you need to keep the center of gravity low... Mine would be equivalent to your Vietnam era gear with a helmet as well. The other thing that works for the Webster bases is to just sleeve them in metal conduit the screw will hold the conduit in place. I do like the idea of the wider stands shown above, perhaps if you try one you could post a pic and let us know how they work with the Webster torso's. Thanks, Scott.

I once had a similar problem. ie the torso sliding down its base pole under the weight of the gear. I just wrapped a bunch of duck-tape around the pole at an appropriate level so that the torso could not slip over it. Cheap, simple...effective!

Tasken_Lander

After checking out the bases in the link you listed, I wonder if the bases will fit onto the Webster's torso? It looks like you can buy the bases separately, but in order to save a little money, I wonder if the metal support rods will fit into a Webster's foam torso mannequin ???

Any thoughts on this ???

Thanks,

Sean

The person who linked me to those trimline stands said he uses them for his Webster gear displays... so I hope he's right!

It looks like the metal base will hold up better with the weight. The only thing I can add, if it is still wobbly after the new base and readjusting the weight, you could slip a barbell weight on there to hold it down.

I get my Torsos from ebay seller "mannequinmaven", or "citidisplays" - they are (or were) one in the same. They are fibreglass and carry plenty of weight. There are a several different bases available, style-wise and color-wise). I typically use the size 38. I have trimmed a few down a bit to accomodate smaller uniforms. Anyway, I have about 19 of them covered with gear (Haversacks, cartride belts, canteens, bolo knives etc.) ALl WWI and WWII mostly. They have a "neck" and I easily mount a styro head (after some trimming) on that neck, cover it with black opaque ladies leggings (pinned to the cloth covering the dummy) and they look awesome. They take offers so I typically get them for $50. Shipping is another story, but they are in New jersey and I am in new York so it is not too bad for me.

Oh, BTW, the stands look great but I did have one dummy crack where the base enters the bottom of the form (WW II figure geared up with an overcoat). Most all of my dummies are on table tops sitting atop a small kiddie stool gotten from Michale's craft stores. The ones that are on floor stands (early 1900 era figures) are fine right now....including one with a heavy saber. I can try to post a photo this evening if anyone is interested...

I've used other manufacturer's stands with Webster's torsos without any issue. The only reason I have any of Webster's stands at all is for uniformity, as they were much cheaper than the heavy duty stands I was buying previously.

And here's a mixed bag of Webster and a couple of others I bought used somewhere (hadn't quite finished putting the display together when I took the pic, unfortunately!)

Shelves13.jpg

Dave, thanks for the pic's, and I'm glad to hear that someone has actually used other bases with Webster's torso mannequins. I like the torso's themselves, but the wooden bases are definitely not built to withstand a heavy duty field gear display. My Webster's torso's hold my dress uniforms just fine, but my field gear displays are another story altogether. I think I am going to order a couple of those heavy duty brushed metal stand from the link listed above.

I did a brief eBay search and couldn't find "citidisplays" listed as a registered member. "Mannequinmaven" is listed, but it is mostly dolls and such, definitely not my thing, lol.

By the way, does anyone have any thoughts as to which type of base is better, round, square, of a tripod base. Which one will distribute the center of gravity better?

Thanks for all of your help!!!

Sean

Sean:

I actually bought my bases from a seller online...didn't go via eBay and found the same ones people were selling on eBay for about 20% less. I couldn't find who I bought them from. I think a seller in Denver, but I couldn't match up any from a google search with what I remembered.

I am a fan of the round bases, but I don't have much issue with a square base, other than making sure it's aesthetically lined up right on display. I had one tripod base stand. One of my kids knocked it over and one of the legs broke off...rendering it useless (no way to effectively repair the broken leg). That was the last time I ever bought one of those!

Dave

Trenchrat and Dave,

Many thanks for all of your help and input. This definitely gives me a couple of options to explore. Ordering just the bases would be more cost effective, especially if they will work with the Webster's torso's I already have. However, new torso's might be a better option. I'll have to mull this over for a bit and figure out which option will work, and blend in the best with my other displays.

Many thanks again for your help in this matter gentlemen!!!

Sean