Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Hi,the website is active.

#5 BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,207
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

as a kid, i remember getting his catalog, man the stuff he had years ago. his helmets seem pretty reasonable?

#6 carbinephalen

carbinephalen
  • Members
    • Member ID: 14,217
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

If you want to use this dealer.....I hope you have patience to spare!

But the prices are too bad. I always have better lucky calling him directly!

#7 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

If you want to use this dealer.....I hope you have patience to spare.

:) when I used to call him, he would say......"OH YEAH, I've got that piece, just let me find it".

#8 marks'militaria

marks'militaria
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,411
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Difficult site to search, (no pics) hard to get ahold of and buy. prices are good, but lots of relics SOLD, after you ask or try to buy.Most of inventory listed on site sold..or cannot find. But has good rep.

#9 usaaf93

usaaf93
  • Members
    • Member ID: 106,404
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

It's difficult to phone directly as I live in France. Too bad he had stuffs that I was looking for

#10 etienne

etienne
  • Members
    • Member ID: 17,306
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

I tried to contact him in the past, at many occasions ... sometimes I had an answer but I've never been able to make a transaction  :blink:

There's many interesting items in his catalog, but from France it's "Mission : Impossible" !!!

Be patient, you coud have more success than me  ;)

#11 dakotanorth

dakotanorth
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,625
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

Pulling teeth from an alligator....

I've put together a few orders, easily surpassing $100 each, and I get the same old reply:

"Yeah, we've got all kinds of stuff I just have to get to the warehouse and find it."

Uh really? 

Apparently they now have a retail front, but it's only open on Saturdays for a few hours, I do believe.

Anyone live in the New Jersey area???  I'll pay a finder's fee!

#12 Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,190
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

I've gotten stuff from the website before and I've also gotten no replies for 'orders' I've placed, so it's really hit or miss.  I guess that's what you get for the great prices!

Rob

#13 kjones5452

kjones5452
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,883
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Good ole AOTP. Back in the mid 90s I spent a good bit of money and got some damn good deals on stuff, like 50s brown combat boots 10D for 25 bucks a pair that I used reenacting and still have. Nam jungle tops and bottoms for next to nothing. He even had foreign camo including French Indo China sets. If he's still got some of what he did

have he's sittin on a small gold mine if he'd organize it.

#14 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

I've contacted him several times about items on the website, but I've always gotten the "I think I might have that, let me check" response (if any). I know a couple members on here who got some great stuff from him...but I've never bought anything from him before as I've never got a firm answer on any of my queries.

#15 dakotanorth

dakotanorth
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I agree with most of these accounts- "Lemme check" and "Call me back in a week" is the norm.

I think next time I have a free airline flight, I will book a weekend to Trenton NJ and bring about $1K in cash....

#16 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,538 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

I agree with most of these accounts- "Lemme check" and "Call me back in a week" is the norm.

I think next time I have a free airline flight, I will book a weekend to Trenton NJ and bring about $1K in cash....

Going to lovely Trenton with $1K in your pocket???? Better pack some serious "heat"!!!

#17 capajo02

capajo02
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,280
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

Please forgive me for my verbose post, but the topic demands that I share this story...

A couple friends and I took the trip to the AOTP store front, after a series of phone calls trying to pin down a time when the owner would be available.  (First piece of advice: Don't ever plan a trip to AOTP without calling in advance.)  We finally got him to commit to a Saturday, and requested that he reserve a few items for us.  The first sign of a problem was when we walked in the door.  There was about a 4'x5' space – we later called this area “militaria purgatory” – for us to stand with a large counter cutting off any potential customers from the rest of the "store."  The "store" is fairly large, but you cannot walk around, look at items, or even pass beyond the counter.  It is a hoarder’s den of all shades of khakis and olive drabs.  There is militaria stacked up to the ceiling in some places and some interesting items on display, but not for you to look at closely.  Depending on where the item is located, the owner may not even be able to get to it to show it to you.

At any rate, my uneasiness and disappointment came to the fore when we began to ask about specific items.  I even had some of the catalog numbers of items I wanted as per the owner's request, but it was a waste of my time. He could not even figure out which one of his catalogs corresponded to the items listed on the website.  He allowed us to peruse the items which were in our limited periphery - mostly stacks of uniforms about 4 feet high - but even this was a waste of time.  Every single item we asked for a price on, he could not/would not even quote us a price because the item hadn't been cataloged or he could not find it.  We were there - with cash in hand, not just kicking tires - and he wouldn't even give us a price on items in his shop so he could make money... a very confusing scenario, indeed. 

He did manage to deliver something remotely close to a request - WWII jungle boots - but he came out with GI athletic sneakers instead.  Not the size or style I asked for, but I bought them as the price was fair.  He was actually able to give me a price for them after some gentle nudging and reassurance that they were the same items as two others listed in his catalog. I believe that in that sea of militaria, I walked out of the place with just that one pair of shoes.  I probably asked to look at or actually examined about 15 to 20 pieces.  Holding a stack of bills in my hand, asking very politely to name his price yielded no results for the painful hour or so we spent there.  The owner went so far as to suggest that we make a return trip in a month and that he would “probably” be able to price the random items we had asked about in that time.

Gentlemen… I can say, without a doubt, that this was the most frustrating militaria-related experience I have ever had.  It was really a total waste of time and effort.  While the owner seemed to be a nice guy – never curmudgeonly or nasty – he really has no business claiming that he has a militaria “business.”  He has unorganized piles of green, tan, and brown.  It is really a sad situation to see all of that stuff just being hoarded and essentially unavailable under the guise of a “business” or “shop.”  Some people have reported good experiences with him, and just encourage patience.  My time is too valuable to go back and forth with someone for months over a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff.  The guy can’t even find the item in his own store when you are standing in front of him, he probably shouldn’t be a proprietor of a business.  It doesn’t matter how great a deal may seem on paper if he can’t produce the item listed for sale.  In the interest of my own sanity, I cannot ever attempt to make a purchase from him or a trip to his store. If you’ve ever read Joseph Heller’s “Catch-22,” you can relate the experiences in the book directly to this shop.    

And sure… I know that someone out there will think, “Oh, you just didn’t finesse him right” or “If I went there, I bet I could convince him to sell and walk out with some good stuff.”  “I could do it better than that guy who just complained on the forum.”  Well… Good luck with all of that. I was once that guy, and I have the mental scars to prove it.  Don’t say that no one ever warned you.

Edited by capajo02, 29 August 2013 - 11:51 PM.

#18 kjones5452

kjones5452
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,883
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

I'm curious as to what he's occupied with in the rest of his life that keeps him from neglecting this part of it. Or if he's overwhelmed by it all and doesn't have anybody to help with it. If some people had the time,point him toward this forum and gain his confidence that there'd be no strings attached he might welcome help from some members here.

He had it together enough the 2 times I dealt with him in the early 90s to do over the phone credit card purchases.

#19 dakotanorth

dakotanorth
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

He also runs a Bed n Breakfast business.  Somewhere on the website, there's a link to it and there's even a picture of the house they use for this business.

I admit, a BnB would be cleaner and more pleasant, but yeah, he's sitting on a freaking GOLDMINE of goodies.  Someone should just cut him a check for $50K and ask for the keys to his "store,"

#20 mvmhm

mvmhm
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,423
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

When I first started collecting, Wayne's store was the best thing going...even after all these years, I still have all his catalogs. There was never a problem then with items or shipping them....when I came back from the Azores in 1984, we landed at McGuire, and Wayne came out on a Sunday, picked us up from the hotel, took us to the store (which was wall to wall militaria), opened it up just for me to shop, then took us to his family's big BBQ, and that evening took us back to our hotel. After I was assigned to Germany, he paid me very well to buy German stuff for him for resell...although after I came back to the states in 1998 we lost touch. Not sure why things are the way they are now, but he was great "back in the day".....and his catalogs still have some great deals in them.

Mark sends

#21 max0073

max0073
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,011
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Hi,

I managed to buy some nice items from him but I have inquired other items with no more success than "I should check".

Living in France I'm pretty I'll never have the chance to visit him. However, I would suggest to spend some time in the b&b and try to get in touch with him if you really want to buy stuff.

Max

#22 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 24,703 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:22 PM

:lol:  Eat your heart out you Sappy Bastards :lol:

https://www.nj.com/m...collectors.html

#23 'Flage Guy

'Flage Guy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,226
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:44 AM

Great post, Patches :D

I've always enjoyed doing business with Wayne; most of the time it was over the phone in the pre-Net days. Always blessed with prime stuff from him, the last score being an OD Paramarine Jump Smock in 2015, which I didn't think I'd ever find. He'd kept it as a display piece in his shop for some years, and just decided to unload it.

His site is still going, and he still manages to offer a lot of neat stuff. The only reason I don't peruse his site much these days is that the collection is pretty much topped out now.

#24 scottplen

scottplen
  • Members
    • Member ID: 620
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 04:00 PM

Tried to contact him by email a few times . No response.

#25 Waltz41

Waltz41
  • Members
    • Member ID: 89,245
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:46 PM

He's not too far from me.....might have to venture over some Saturday afternoon (looks like calling ahead first though)!

Edited by Waltz41, 12 December 2019 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users