PT 41 MTB Squadron 3 Corregidor POW

Bob Hudson

I can't believe I missed this thread.

Incredibly interesting, stimulating and gives me an unbelievable desire to collect such material.

Very impressive. Very impressive.

I must admit that I am impressed.

The provenance is to die for and the story it tells is epic.

And where else do you get to see up close incredibly rare items ?

Presented clearly, succinctly and with sacrifice.

This would have been kept secret by many of us.

Thank you Bob.

I'm sure you are better than I posting but even if you are 3 times faster than me I know you spent a good deal of time pulling this all together for us.

All Things Polar

Something doesn't have to be flashy to hold solid historical value. I've uncovered the most interesting stories from "run-of-the-mill" campaign medals.

Glenn

• 7 years later...

One of the goals of this forum is to be an archive for militaria collectors with older posts and threads still accessible for research or remembering. Something today made think of PT boats and that led me to look up an eight-year-old thread I did about the real PT boats and crew portrayed In They Were Expendable. I had forgotten a lot the specifics of this thread so  it was like reading it for the first time. Some incredible paperwork and images are shown here and each time I see them I gain even more respect for the ordeal suffered by Kenneth Miller and his shipmates of Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3. Of particular note is his discharge paper from Dec. 1941 and a typed letter with his account of the Japanese attack on Cavite - when he was stationed at Pearl before the war he attended Honolulu Business College. My guess is that's where he learned to type: he joined the Navy as a 17-year-old high school grad from Wichita in an era when only girls took typing in high school.

Rereading this again and not sure how I missed it the first time that one of the crewmembers was from Methuen, Massachusetts. (McEvoy) I lived in Salem, NH and the Massachusetts state line was my backyard and the town was Methuen where my mother grew up when she was younger as well as my grandparents.

Leigh