PT 41 MTB Squadron 3 Corregidor POW

Bob Hudson

Some photos from the photo album.

As noted above, he was on MTB Boat 41 and in the "Expendable" movie the skipper of that boat and squadron was played by actor Robert Montgomery. Ironically, during his submarine days he apparently met (or at least photographed) Robert Montgomery. The photo caption is wrong: it says cast of "Hell Divers," but that was the name of a `1932 Navy aviation film that was originally scheduled to star Montgomery but instead starred Clark Gable. This photos of the cast of "Hell Below" a 1933 "MGM film set in the Adriatic during World War I about submarine warfare based on Commander Edward Ellsberg's novel Pigboats". Standing next to Montgomery is actor Jimmy Durante.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Here's the poster from wikipedia

hellbelow.jpeg

Oh, also in the cast photo is actor Robert Young, who was also in Hell Divers and a munch of other military-themed movies and is best know for being on TV's Father Knows Best and Marcus Welby MD.

robyoung.jpg

This is in the photo album, a large photo of the USS Argonaut (you can click it for a larger view)

16.jpg

Before I scan some more pages from the album and some other ephemera, here is what has survived of his ribbons, medals and submariner badges.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

There is a copy of the Bataan Survivors newsletter but it has a lot cut out of it, mostly stories about bills going through Congress. There is also a stack of such bills, having to do with compensation and other benefits to former POW's.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Here's a telegram sent to hid mother from the Philippines. I wonder if this was Dec. 1941? It was apparently sent before Christmas with instructions to be delivered on Christmas, and I suppose there's a chance it could have been sent before Manila fell.

27.jpg

In July 42 his hometown paper still had him listed as among the killed or MIA's:

28.jpg

29.jpg

I bet his GCM and Yangtze service medal were lost in the Philippines. I really like those ribbon bars!

Kurt

The photo album has the typical crumbling black paper pages but the photos are in good shape. Some are from NTC San Diego, but most seem to be from pre-war Hawaii, including some from Midway Island.

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

RustyCanteen

This grouping just went from great to astounding.

The extra photos and items really make it, especially the link to Montgomery.

RustyCanteen

The photo marked "my home in Hawaii" is the "old" barracks at the Subase.

These are very nice photos, the subs and four pipers (not to mention the asr) are great.

I'd heard that pre-WWII Hawaii was a favorite duty station for US sailors - Ken certainly looks like he took advantage of paradise, what with kayaking and tennis:

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

RustyCanteen

Great photos!

Yeah, Hawaii and the Philippines were favored overseas duty stations.

What does the license plate on the car say?

What does the license plate on the car say?

I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it. It's Midway Island license plate No. 6 -

wouldn't that look great hanging on the wall!

midwayplate.jpg

I've have more to scan, but I'm getting bleary-eyed.

Did want to show another image of the "missing" sign to give a better perspective on size:

48.jpg

RustyCanteen

I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it. It's Midway Island license plate No. 6 -

wouldn't that look great hanging on the wall!

attachicon.gifmidwayplate.jpg

Yeah I saw the big wing on it and figured it might be a base plate.

That is too cool, and super rare (if any even exist now).

On the MIA sign, are there any indications of how it was attached to anything (glue,tape, thumbtack holes)? I would guess there was a wall of names for everyone in the city/county and that was one of them. Neat glimpse into the homefront and the poor information available to the folks back home that had to wait it out.

Okay, one more last thing before bedtime: a NANCO sterling submariner badge with gold wash. The catch is missing but it's still a cool piece:

49.jpg

On the MIA sign, are there any indications of how it was attached to anything (glue,tape, thumbtack holes)? I would guess there was a wall of names for everyone in the city/county and that was one of them. Neat glimpse into the homefront and the poor information available to the folks back home that had to wait it out.

I think the sign may have had something to do with the newspaper article about the local KIA's and MIA's. Perhaps the newspaper had a display in its lobby.

firefighter

Super awesome grouping.The pictures and insignia are amazing.I think the license plate is for Pan Am.The globe and half wing look like the old Pan Am insignia.

2751691726_480987cc0b_z.jpg

Super awesome grouping.The pictures and insignia are amazing.I think the license plate is for Pan Am.The globe and half wing look like the old Pan Am insignia.

Yep, that is a Pan Am insignia on the plate.

As I work my way through the stack of photos this morning I came across an 8x10 of him in his warrant officer uniform and was able to match insignia to the photo:

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

firefighter

That is awesome that you matched all the ribbons.Very interesting to see the Army PUC on the uniform.I know the MTBRON he was in was awarded one PUC.He look's like a man that has seen a lot of things, most I'm sure he didn't want to remember.Bless his service and all the brave men and women that served and are serving now.