My first pair of USMC Boondockers

knd643

Also was wondering do USMC Boondockers usually have different numbers on the bottom of the shoe on the inside. One of the boondockers says 7 1/2 and one says 9 does this mean they are different sizes or something else?

RustyCanteen

Also was wondering do USMC Boondockers usually have different numbers on the bottom of the shoe on the inside. One of the boondockers says 7 1/2 and one says 9 does this mean they are different sizes or something else?

Try measuring them to see if they match or are "close".

It does seem to be a mismatched pair, the left shoe being the bigger one.

That's what I thought but it doesn't seem like a whole 2 sizes bigger though by looking at them. The dealer I bought them from(actual collector) said that they were unissued. Also are the numbers on the inside the sizes or just for something else?

That's what I thought but it doesn't seem like a whole 2 sizes bigger though by looking at them. The dealer I bought them from(actual collector) said that they were unissued. Also are the numbers on the inside the sizes or just for something else?

The stenciled numbers on the sole are sizes indeed ... if they are different, no doubt that the shoes are different sizes but that's a nice pair of boondockers, even if mismatched.

The stenciled numbers on the sole are sizes indeed ... if they are different, no doubt that the shoes are different sizes but that's a nice pair of boondockers, even if mismatched.

Thanks. I figured those were sizes. Would they still work for a impression if their mismatched?

If you are planning to wear them, I would strongly advize against it! Although they might be in unissued condition and look absolutely fine, 70+ year old rubber soles are prone to cracking and separation from the uppers. I've seen this happen on more than one occasion when re-enacters have worn original WW2 footwear. There are modern repros available which are near perfect copies of originals and much more durable. You could also get the correct size! If they were mine, I'd preserve the originals as collectors' items and invest in a pair of good quality repros. It's your call, of course!

If you are planning to wear them, I would strongly advize against it! Although they might be in unissued condition and look absolutely fine, 70+ year old rubber soles are prone to cracking and separation from the uppers. I've seen this happen on more than one occasion when re-enacters have worn original WW2 footwear. There are modern repros available which are near perfect copies of originals and much more durable. You could also get the correct size! If they were mine, I'd preserve the originals as collectors' items and invest in a pair of good quality repros. It's your call, of course!

Ditto ... 70 years soles are stiff and brittle, you won't walk 100 yards before they'll be torn to shreds :(

Buy wwiiimpressions or whatever repro you can find, choose the right size and keep your 1944 boondockers as collector's display items B)

Im never going to wear them no. Im putting togethor a manequin display for Peleliu and was wonderomg of it would still work to have different size boondockers or would it not be authentic. Also their on display right now as I type.

Who's to know, unless the difference is visually very obvious?

You cant even tell unless you look really close at them and try to notice the difference.

Get some leggings or blouse the hbt trousers over them and no one will even notice.

I was going to get a pair of leggings on ebay this weekend but when I was there at Doughboys buying the boondockers he had them sitting on a WW2 USMC reverse camo poncho with a slight tear in it(were it was torn the piece is still intact) he gave it to me for $25, I couldnt just pass that up. I didnt take the cardboard out of the boondockers(rolled up not crumpled to wear it would rip the inside) because I couldnt even tell a size difference and I didnt know about the size being stamped(imprinted into the shoe) on the inside until I noticed it when i was looking at the inside when i got home.

Im never going to wear them no. Im putting togethor a manequin display for Peleliu and was wonderomg of it would still work to have different size boondockers or would it not be authentic. Also their on display right now as I type.

No problem, unless there's more than 2" of length difference, nobody will notice but you ;)

No problem, unless there's more than 2" of length difference, nobody will notice but you ;)

I dont even think theres a inch difference.

I dont even think theres a inch difference.

That's fine, nothing noticeable on a mannequin.

I'm looking forward to seeing the whole display B)

That's fine, nothing noticeable on a mannequin.

I'm looking forward to seeing the whole display B)

Thanks. Might take a while because im saving up for a M1 Garand so itll take another month to get the money for that then im full force on trying to complete it. Next item hopefully to get is a Mint P3 canteen cover no drain hole with canteen and canteen cup for $125.

Just one thing to consider is the size of the mannequin's feet (assuming it has some?) in relation to the size of the boots. Sometimes it can be virtually impossible to slip a boot over a stiff, molded foot if the sizes aren't quite compatible.

Just one thing to consider is the size of the mannequin's feet (assuming it has some?) in relation to the size of the boots. Sometimes it can be virtually impossible to slip a boot over a stiff, molded foot if the sizes aren't quite compatible.

No feet on the mannequin.