Italian-American World War Veterans

frederick

ITALIAN-AMERICAN WORLD WAR VETERAN

A Past Commander's badge from the Italian-American World War Veterans. One of many small groups formed after WWI. The shield on the ribbon is the seal of the state of Ohio. Only mark on the reverse is STERLING near the bottom arm. A group named the Italian-American War Veterans is currently active and has a site on the Internet. Because their emblem is nearly identical to the one in the center of the badge, I can only assume it is the same organization. or descendant of the original group. Would guess the word WORLD was deleted from the title after WWII. Until 1990, membership was limited to service during a time of war, but since that date all honorably discharged veterans are eligible. If Italian heritage or ancestry was a requirement when this badge was issued, it is not a requirement today.

Have seen a nearly identical, sunburst badge with a lapel pin size emblem in the center for another society (Polish-American Veterans as I recall). This is an economical approach for a society with limited financial means. The lapel pin is popular and within the cost range of most veterans. Adding the lapel pin to a mfg's stock pendent makes an attractive and cost effective badge for the membership.

post-1633-1206912743.jpg

• 11 months later...

Here is some miscellaneous Italian American War Veterans stuff from my collection. I used to be a member, from 1998 to 2007, and I bought some memorabilia on eBay. The Italian American War Veterans started as the Italian American World War Veterans in the 1930s consisting of veterans of World War I.

These are copies of Annual Proceedings from the 1950s. Cloth bound, about 55 pages each.

Pete

post-5467-1235945077.jpg

Here is a roster of my old Post, Illinois Post #1, Filippo Mazzei (on the left) and a copy of the Massechusetts State Constitution and By-Laws for the Italian American War Veterans, dated 1983.

Pete

post-5467-1235945202.jpg

Here's one "side" of the membership hat (see the entry under "Hats off to Veterans" thread for both sides).

Pete

post-5467-1235945285.jpg

And here's the first and only copy of their national magazine that I ever received. It's really a cheaply done newspaper-type magazine.

Pete

post-5467-1235945372.jpg

Here are a paperweight from the 50th National Convention in 1985 (brass, heavy), a Silver Anniversary Convention ribbon (1959), and a cheapo letter opener from the 34th Annual Convention.

Pete

post-5467-1235947663.jpg

Here are two convention medals: left from the CT state convention in Sept 1936, and right, from the CT state convention in Sept 1945 (I wonder if that convention had some happy, grateful, WWII returning vets). Also, a very nice old lapel pin, nicely made, cloissonne, screw-back (no maker's mark), showing, in nice enamel, the original logo with the original "Italian American WORLD War Veterans," as originally designated, dating from perhaps the 1930s.

Pete

post-5467-1235947948.jpg

Here's another lapel pin, slightly different style, with original logo and screw-back, no maker's mark.

Pete

post-5467-1235948057.jpg

Two more lapel pins, one is a Past Dept. Commander (with an imitation sapphire) and a simple membership pin. Both are clutch back with the newer logo and newer title "Italian American War Veterans." The original logo had the US within a star, much like the WWI discharge lapel button and the American Legion logo.

Pete

post-5467-1235948237.jpg

Pete,

Thanks for the scans! This is very interesting information on these items and this group. How many members were/are in this veteran organization?

Pete,

Thanks for the scans! This is very interesting information on these items and this group. How many members were/are in this veteran organization?

Sarge,

You're welcome, I hope others might come upon this thread and learn about the Italian American War Veterans. The latest membership number I can find is in the August 2003 issue of Torch, depicted above, that states that there were 4,423 members as of the end of FY2001/02. I would be surprised if it has grown much, if at all, since then. The Posts are mostly in the northeast (CT, MA, NY, PA) and midwest (IL, OH). There might be a Post in CA also. As was mentioned above, Italian ancestry is not a requirement (I don't know if it ever was, strictly speaking, a requirement), and they have now opened membership to honorably discharged veterans, wartime service is no longer a requirement. There are a few non-Italian Americans in the group, for sure. Mostly, however, they are Italian Americans and WWII, Korea, and '50s era vets; they did elect a Vietnam Era vet (Air Force!) as president while I was a member. I might have been the first Desert Storm vet to join, I'm not sure.

Below is one of my prized possessions, an Italian American World War Veterans ring, probably dating from the 1940s. It is marked "Robbins 10K".

Here is the main emblem.

post-5467-1236038916.jpg

And here are the designs on the shanks. As you can see, we have an infantryman on one side, with tanks, aircraft and probably some artillery, and on the other we have a tank, airplane, and ship, so no one feels left out. Reminds me of the Southwest Asia Service medal which, in my humble opinion, is not very artistic. Why can't we make medals like the old British campaign medals? OK, that's another thread. Anyway, the ring is very nice, heavy (I weighed it but I forget the weight), seems to be well-cast, even if the designs aren't the most accurate depictions of our armed forces. I really like it, and I used to wear it all the time.

Pete

post-5467-1236039113.jpgpost-5467-1236039127.jpg

• 3 years later...

Any veteran can join the ITAM. Regular Member status is reserved for War Veterans with Italian ancestry, and they have voting rights. We also have the Ladies Auxilaries, and Sons Of ITAM Veterans, as well as Friends of the Posts, and they don't have to be veterans . The Departments and the Posts modify their Constitution and By-Laws depending upon their needs.

Danny Gillotti

National Junior Vice-Commander (for Ohio), ITAM

Commander, Department of Ohio ITAM (2012-2014)

• 3 months later...
1SG_1st_Cav

Any veteran can join the ITAM. Regular Member status is reserved for War Veterans with Italian ancestry, and they have voting rights. We also have the Ladies Auxilaries, and Sons Of ITAM Veterans, as well as Friends of the Posts, and they don't have to be veterans . The Departments and the Posts modify their Constitution and By-Laws depending upon their needs.

Danny Gillotti

National Junior Vice-Commander (for Ohio), ITAM

Commander, Department of Ohio ITAM (2012-2014)

This picture was the opening ceremony of our 2012 "Festa Italiano". The dago on the right at the head of the Color Guard is me. Post #1, in Lorain, Ohio. Danny

post-1691-0-93072600-1368474037.jpg

• 3 years later...

Similar to the Past Commander badge posted at the start of this thread by frederick, here is an example maker marked by the Robbins Company. It, too, is marked STERLING.

Were they made by the same company? My guess is yes.

ItalianAmericanWorldWarVeterans_1000.jpg