Bill Mauldin Collection (so far)

gitana

ustpatcher1a

"1944 Mud, Mules, and Mountains. This particular one has a blue cover, but I have seen other colors used. Perhaps they did runs of the book and when they ran out of one color, switched to another. These can be found without too much trouble online." The 36th Texas Infantry Division reunion society has just made a tribute film with returning 36th vets in Italy and South France called this title.

Doing some research on Bill Mauldin and Ernie Pyle WW2 battle line writers. I have just found Bill Mauldin hardback book with his famous sketched of frontline G.I.s "Willie and Joe". First Hand at-the-front journal of WW2 infantry life in the European Theater with comical satircal cartoons of the soldier's life. Hard Back book, WW2, First edition,Bill Maudin's Book "Up Front" with his WW2 soldiers "Willy" and "Joe" illustrations. Sale: $49 LINK:https://www.etsy.com/listing/225288496/antique-famous-hard-back-book-first

Doing some research on Bill Mauldin and Ernie Pyle WW2 battle line writers. I have just found Bill Mauldin hardback book with his famous sketched of frontline G.I.s "Willie and Joe". First Hand at-the-front journal of WW2 infantry life in the European Theater with comical satircal cartoons of the soldier's life. Hard Back book, WW2, First edition,Bill Maudin's Book "Up Front" with his WW2 soldiers "Willy" and "Joe" illustrations. Sale: $49 LINK:https://www.etsy.com/listing/225288496/antique-famous-hard-back-book-first

That's an insane amount for a copy of "Up Front", even a first edition. I have a excellent condition copy (I have most of the other editions as well, including Mauldin's personal copy of the book in Czech!) which I paid maybe $15 for not long ago.

There were probably more than 40 editions of that book printed. You can get them for less than $10 in many used book stores in various conditions. They're not hard to find at all.

One of these days, I need to break out my Mauldin collection and take photos. Some of you wouldn't believe what Mauldin items I have hidden away... ;)

I have a copy of This Damn Tree Leaks with a Mauldin autograph in it, and wanted to post it as an example. Maybe Lee can help determine when it was signed - many years after the war for all I know.

attachicon.gifMauldin autograph.jpg

Probably signed well into the 70s or 80s. Looks like the standard way he'd sign in his later career.

Looks good, I think you have a real one there.

strawberry 9

That's an insane amount for a copy of "Up Front", even a first edition. I have a excellent condition copy (I have most of the other editions as well, including Mauldin's personal copy of the book in Czech!) which I paid maybe $15 for not long ago.

There were probably more than 40 editions of that book printed. You can get them for less than $10 in many used book stores in various conditions. They're not hard to find at all.

One of these days, I need to break out my Mauldin collection and take photos. Some of you wouldn't believe what Mauldin items I have hidden away... ;)

Please do, I'd like to see them.

ustpatcher1a

IMVO: My response.....We are all refreshed by your views and experiences. You certainly don't have to buy the item. The beauty of the 2015 market is that its variable. Ups and downs and opinions vary. Ego's can sometimes grow to a point where you're blinded by them. I've chosen not to stroke or feed yours, may it forget about this matter.

One man's treasure is another one's trash. Free market. Wholely opinionated negative comments against another member's postings here seems rather silly, trollish, and unfriendly.

If you don't have a nice thing to say, why say it at all ?

Have a great day.

PS...It's still for sale to any lucky buyer.

• 4 months later...

Mauldin-Bill-Dear-Mr-Veteran.jpg

I hadn't run across a copy of this 16 page booklet before. It contains four Mauldin cartoons, in addition to the cover. Published by the OPA in 1946.

I hadn't run across a copy of this 16 page booklet before. It contains four Mauldin cartoons, in addition to the cover. Published by the OPA in 1946.

Yeah, that's a good one if you can find it.

FYI---I'm selling fully illustrated, first edition printing, Bill Maudin's Book, "Up Front" with cartoons of 'Willie & Joe'. $39 + ship/postage. Contact me here privately.

• 3 weeks later...

Was looking through some YANK newspapers today and found this article on Bill Mauldin from the 29 June 1945 Mediterranean Edition. Quite an extensive piece of three pages. The one cartoon on the last page, I have not seen before.

post-70300-0-91593900-1452463427.jpg

Funny, that Mauldin didn't like Yank as they never published much of his stuff and he gave up early dealing with them.

He also didn't like the movie "Up Front" very much ​when it came out. I've seen it and the sequel, neither of which were all that good.

Wow, another booklet to keep an eye out for. Your collection of Mauldiana (!?) is really nice.

Was looking through some YANK newspapers today and found this article on Bill Mauldin from the 29 June 1945 Mediterranean Edition. Quite an extensive piece of three pages. The one cartoon on the last page, I have not seen before.

Great addition! If you can photograph it clearly I'd certainly like to be able to read it sometime.

• 4 weeks later...

Going through some WW2 Life Magazines that I bought a while back, found this article by Bill Mauldin. It describes the origin of the term "G.I. Joe" .It's from the March 27, 1944 issue.

post-70300-0-16952100-1454857001.jpg

• 2 months later...

I recently picked up the original artwork to this late Bill Mauldin original, and am trying to find out what day it ran in the newspaper. I had read in Todd DePastino's book that Mauldin retired from the newspaper in 1990, but this one is clearly dated 1991. Todd thought that it might have been from a backlog of pieces that Mauldin had, but he didn't know when it ran. I'm thinking that it may be among the last batch of his newspaper pieces. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks! Best, Rob

Mauldin-Bill-Chicago-Sun-Times-1991-Repl

Todd has a better grip on Mauldin's later life than anyone, not even his family knows much in regard to what was printed or not.

Heck, most people have no clue he even did work regarding desert storm. He screwed up his hands soon afterward when he dropped that snow plow on them.

Todd, at one point, was working with the publisher for the ww2 and immediate postwar work, to keep publishing all Mauldin's work to the end, but they never got past the late 40s...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how much of an audience there would be Mauldin's later work, though there was a good deal of great stuff. He published so many reprints during his time, that a goodly number of the politicals are available. I just like that fact that this piece pictures his later version of Willie and Joe, and speaks of both his and their soon-to-be obsolescence. I'm not crazy about much of Mauldin's later work, but this one spoke to me.

• 2 months later...
strawberry 9

I'm a huge fan too. Haven't seen this one in the thread yet, so thought I would add it. I was really happy to find it, especially in the condition it's in.

post-100432-0-80681300-1468884897.jpg