Bill Mauldin Collection (so far)

gitana

I just re-read Mauldin's 1947 published " Back Home" as the recent VA controversy reminded me of what Mauldin had written and drawn about the VA back then. Just about identical to the present.

He has always been a favorite of mine.

Old Marine

That is a nice collection of Mauldin's work. I found a copy of "Up Front" when I was about 10 years old and been hooked ever since. Bill Mauldin, Willie and Joe are the reason that today I have a good career in the Graphic and Commercial Art field.

willysmb44

Nice item, you very rarely ever see these in the box. Yet another item they ripped Mauldin off on. He never saw a dime for work on this, nor from the 1941 'Star Spangled Banter' book...

I recently ran across what I believe to be a very scarce Mauldin item, related to the first edition of Star Spangled Banter. The book was published in 1941 by the Universal Press. According to Todd DePastino's book, Mauldin was approached by two men from Universal, who had driven to Louisiana from San Antonio, during the maneuvers. This Comix Army Stationary was also published by Universal, so I imagine that it too came out in 1941. The boxed set features five different Mauldin cartoon designs. There are 12 sheets in this box, but I believe that it originally held 15 sheets; three of each design.

I've never seen this before, and when I queried Todd, he had never heard of it. I can't imagine that many survived, especially with the cheap cardboard box. I'll attach two images in two different posts, since the files are too large for one post.

Very strange, Todd has seen the boxed set like this I have in my collection, I guess he forgot about that. In all fairness, he's not a collector as such.

The 45th Div. Museum is really quite good. I just wish they'd display more of Mauldin's originals, instead of the photostats that they display. They have just a few originals on display.

strawberry 9

I just bid on a boxed set of Mauldin stationary a few weeks back. Unfotunately I lost track of the auction and was outbid. I would have really liked to have added that to my Mauldin collection.

Brian Dentino

How "rare" is his Sicily Sketch book? I have an original in pristine condition from a relative that was KIA with the 45th in Italy that he sent home to his sister.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2014 at 12:13 PM, Robart said:

And here's the image of the stationary:

That's really cool, Robart. Thanks for adding it to the pile. Yet another item I had no knowledge of.

On 6/11/2014 at 10:34 AM, Brian D said:

How "rare" is his Sicily Sketch book? I have an original in pristine condition from a relative that was KIA with the 45th in Italy that he sent home to his sister.

It's not rare, but can be hard to find. I just checked and couldn't find a copy available on ebay, Amazon, or Alibris. But they do show up on occasion.

• 1 month later...

Recently got a copy of "This Damned Tree Leaks" and love it...didn't know there were that many Maudlin books out there...This Forum certainly provides an education!

• 2 weeks later...

I also have some of his cartoons cut out from original newspapers from right after the war showing willie and joe going back to civillian life.....i have to dig them out and post some.....mike

Ive told this story before on another mauldin thread....many moons ago on ebay i won a copy of Up Front....i was so excited, got it for $10-$20 i think, the thing was, there was an original Bill Mauldin sketch of a soldier and inscription to a soldier as ive heard he often did this.......i waited and waited for it to show up only to contact the seller and they told me they "misplaced it" and they sent me a copy of the Brass Ring instead.....i was pretty bummed about missing out on an original Bill Mauldin sketch......man i cant even get over it to this day....im sure some underhanded creep saw the auction and after it ended made the seller an offer......so close to having an original....... :( ........mike

Ive told this story before on another mauldin thread....many moons ago on ebay i won a copy of Up Front....i was so excited, got it for $10-$20 i think, the thing was, there was an original Bill Mauldin sketch of a soldier and inscription to a soldier as ive heard he often did this.......i waited and waited for it to show up only to contact the seller and they told me they "misplaced it" and they sent me a copy of the Brass Ring instead.....i was pretty bummed about missing out on an original Bill Mauldin sketch......man i cant even get over it to this day....im sure some underhanded creep saw the auction and after it ended made the seller an offer......so close to having an original....... :( ........mike

I wouldn't lose too much sleep, you probably got out of being scammed even if you got the book.

Over the years, I've been asked to 'authtenticate' dozens (of not hundreds) of 'Mauldin originals' and the vast majority of them were obvious fakes (oddly, the owners never respond once you tell them that, go figure). Mauldin hardly ever re-drew his own cartoons, and that's what most of these fakes are. If you're looking at a copy of well-known Mauldin cartoon, that's your best likely support for it being a fake. Bill just never did that much at all.

Bill did sign a lot of stuff before the 90s, and if he did drawing at all, it was almost always a very quick smiling face. I have a few of them in my collection.

• 2 months later...

I have a copy of This Damn Tree Leaks with a Mauldin autograph in it, and wanted to post it as an example. Maybe Lee can help determine when it was signed - many years after the war for all I know.

post-14792-0-97189400-1416838425.jpg

I also wanted to show this version, printed with a salmon red cover. The blue ink of the sky, printed on red, turned it green, so you have a pink and green cover. Yuck. I'm finding that some versions are printed on bright white, high gloss paper, while this one, for example, is printed on poor grade, yellowish, newsprint. They had to use whatever paper they could find, and this is a good example of that effort.

post-14792-0-25252500-1416838819.jpg

• 4 months later...

I recently ran across a little Mauldin-illustrated booklet that I've never seen before. Titled "You Kin Take it From Me", the booklet was published in 1942 in Oklahoma City, during Mauldin's time with the 45 Division. It has an illustrated cover, one interior spot illo, and a number of cartoons done in the style of his work in the 45th Division News. I was able to get most of the images posted in my Comic Art Fans gallery, which can be seen here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1218405

If anyone would like scans of the rest of the book, let me know and I can email them to you. Also, if anyone knows anything more about this, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

Best,

Rob

I ran across a pair of WWII flight logs on eBay (the auction is still running). Pictured in one of the logs is the attached image. Bill Mauldin was given a lift to Lyon, France in Febrary 1945.post-6286-0-49243900-1429185061.jpg

• 2 months later...

Mauldin-Bill-Star-Spangled-Banter-Ring-A

I recently picked up this Mauldin original from Heritage Auctions. It's one of the pieces that Mauldin's family is auctioning off. It's from 1941 (Star Spangled Banter), and as far as I and Todd DePastino can tell, this is only the second reference to Willie that Mauldin used.

Best,

Rob

I haven't read or seen many of Bill Maulden's books, but do remember him with Audie Murphy in The Red Badge Of Courage....Bodes

the+red+badge+of+courage+3.jpg

phantomfixer

Anyone ever catch the movie Up Front...then the sequel Willie and Joe Back at the Front...anyone know where to get copies of the movies???

I remember a few scenes from Up Front mainly black market scene in Italy... good movies for Willie and Joe Fans...wonder how Bill Mauldin took to em???

Anyone ever catch the movie Up Front...then the sequel Willie and Joe Back at the Front...anyone know where to get copies of the movies???

I remember a few scenes from Up Front mainly black market scene in Italy... good movies for Willie and Joe Fans...wonder how Bill Mauldin took to em???

Mauldin had nothing to do with the script for the original "Up Front" movie, which he didn't like all that much. The movie had an original script by Ring Lardner, who was blacklisted and that script never got filmed (though it's available in the Library of Congress). I've yet to read it, but Mauldin biographer Todd Depastino read it and has told me it would have been a great movie.

"Back to the Front" was nothing to write home about. Trust me, you're not missing anything.

Neither have been commercially released on video. I caught "Up Front" on TV many years ago and VHS taped it and transferred it to DVD. Not a great copy but I've only watched it twice.

• 2 weeks later...
ustpatcher1a

"1944 Mud, Mules, and Mountains. This particular one has a blue cover, but I have seen other colors used. Perhaps they did runs of the book and when they ran out of one color, switched to another. These can be found without too much trouble online." The 36th Texas Infantry Division reunion society has just made a tribute film with returning 36th vets in Italy and South France called this title.