WWII US Shoulder Holster by Enger Kress, interesting markings.

Tug1970

Hi,

Recently I acquired a lovely untouched veterans M1 swivel bail helmet, absolutely fantastic piece both sticky and stinking of pipe tobacco from being sat in this old veterans house over the years. Along with this helmet was this rather nice and unusual US shoulder holster which I managed to acquire at a slightly later date, again the same sticky texture and smell so definitely out of the same veterans house.

The holster looks as though it has been modified to take a Luger pistol and there are NAZI markings stamped into the leather. Now I've had discussions about these markings and it has been suggested that a lot of veterans did this to make the items more interesting, the story I was relayed which supposedly came from the veterans widows mouth was that her husband had taken this off a German soldier. Perhaps this did go full circle from a US soldier to a German who modified it and then back to a US soldier again.........who knows!!

Has anybody seen markings like this on other items, do you have any ideas as to what may have been used to make these marks?

Have a look through the photographs below, I apologise for the quality of the shots and the amount of posts!

Brgds

Tug

post-109572-0-03019600-1369594812.jpg

post-109572-0-25948900-1369594894.jpg

post-109572-0-77764600-1369595902.jpg

Thats it, thanks for looking and if you have any thoughts, theories I'd be interested to hear then.

Brgds once again!!

Tug :rolleyes:

Never seen the likes of it Tug...it's certainly an interesting piece...possibly even unique?! Have you actually been able to try a Luger in it for fit? I've got an identical one, but strictly unmodified USGI! Captured equipment was used by both sides, so it's plausible. For example, Luftwaffe pilots sometimes wore captured A2 leather jackets with Nazi insignia and rank added. (BTW...I'd advize you to remove the build-up of verdigris from around the snaps or ultimately it will degrade the surrounding leather and they can pull out! It's a common problem. I use a tooth-pick / cocktail stick together with a Q-tip)

Never seen the likes of it Tug...it's certainly an interesting piece...possibly even unique?! Have you actually been able to try a Luger in it for fit? I've got an identical one, but strictly unmodified USGI! Captured equipment was used by both sides, so it's plausible. For example, Luftwaffe pilots sometimes wore captured A2 leather jackets with Nazi insignia and rank added. (BTW...I'd advize you to remove the build-up of verdigris from around the snaps or ultimately it will degrade the surrounding leather and they can pull out! It's a common problem. I use a tooth-pick / cocktail stick together with a Q-tip)

Hi Ian, thanks for the advice but tbh I'd rather leave it on.......the verdigris that is. I won't be removing the fasteners again and I like to try and leave things as is, of course I could end up eating my own words but its lasted 68 years or so without me :blink:

Yeah it is quite a piece, a good friend of mine doesn't believe that the markings were added by a German and as I mentioned he suggests its quite typical for soldiers to make their 'bring backs' more interesting, anyway I prefer the changing hands and trench art theory myself..........makes for a better story!! :D But that is something I guess we'll never know and as you point out this wasn't uncommon for soldiers, airmen etc. to take souvenirs....still doing it now!

Makes for a nice display piece anyway.

Thanks for the input.

Brgds

Tug