The Commandant's Cigar Box...MOH Recipient David Shoup

Friend of mine found this in a thrift shop and thought of me...very interesting cigar box presented to MOH Recipient and 22nd Commandant of the Marine Corps General Shoup, likely as a retirement gift...even better is Shoup's connection to 2/6, my former unit. Shoup was rather fond of cigars, and rather unpopular amongst the General Corps of the other branches due to the high regard JFK had for him. Hard to read in the images due to being tarnished, but the box states:

FOR

GENERAL DAVID M SHOUP, USMC

WHO IS TO ME AS HE WAS TO PRESIDENT JOHN F KENNEDY WHO EXPRESSED IN HIS GREETINGS TO THE MARINES ON THEIR 188TH BIRTHDAY:

"WITH DUE RESPECT TO ALL THE IMMORTALIZED MARINES WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE IN MY TIME, DAVE SHOUP IS MY MARINE."

WITH ADMIRATION AND AFFECTION

PAUL "RED" FAY, JR

UNDER SECRETARY OF THE NAVY

DECEMBER 1963

101_2474_zpsb2c442c1.jpg

101_2475_zps7c4edc23.jpg

101_2473_zps0f0f1526.jpg

101_2471_zpsd395820c.jpg

Jack's Son

That's a real gem, Brig! I'm sure you could have it cleaned to reveal more, and have a very nice centerpiece.

I'm not in the habit of cleaning original patinas off stuff, though this one has me more tempted than any other piece I've owned

I must state, that while it was a thrift store, it had an antique store price

Jack's Son

I'm not in the habit of cleaning original patinas off stuff, though this one has me more tempted than any other piece I've owned

I would normally not have suggested it, but this piece is an exception in my opinion!!

What a smokin score :)

I would use a chemical cleaner and soft cloth to take down the oxidation, but nothing abrasive. Really a cool find!

I agree with these guys Brig. Clean it. But I disagree with you on one thing. If you clean it, you're not removing the original patina.....you're bringing it back to it's original patina.......the patina of new, or almost new.

That's a very neat piece.

Ronnie

Very nice, Brig! IMHO Silver or Silver Plate is meant to be (carefully) cleaned. Tarnish on silver is not a patina of age. BUT it's yours so you are the "decider". Now, if you had it anodized........YUCK! My 2-cents Semper Fi......Bob

Very nice find! I always like seeing items related to Shoup as, besides being an incredible Marine, he was also a Hoosier being born not far from Purdue University.

Kurt Barickman

The only MOH on Tarawa that was not posthumous!! Great item and I vote NOT to clean it. Congrats.

Kurt

Kurt Barickman

Also, on Ebay right now is a photo of Shoup having his wife tie his MOH ribbon around his neck; would like nice with your cigar humidor. Or even the photo of him wearing his P-42 camouflage pants and hbt shirt prior to Tarawa with a big stogie in his mouth.

Just a thought.

Kurt

This is an exceptional, and IMO historically significant item. The presenter, "Red" Fay, was more than Undersecretary of the Navy. He was one of JFK's most trusted associates and, like Shoup, part of the Kennedy inner circle. The date on the box is what makes it significant. December 1963 is only weeks after Kennedy was assassinated. It seems to me that Fay's inscription was meant to reflect what Kennedy may have said had he been alive...very nice, and the box would also have strong appeal in the world of JFK collectibles.

firefighter

WOW!! Blown away.Awesome find.I also vote on cleaning it.I would take pictures and print them out.Then you'll have a before and after so if anybody questions its authenticity you have proof.I would ask or google for the best and safest way to polish it.Again very cool find.

Thanks for all the input, gents. If I can figure out what brand of cigar's in this size SHoup preferred, I could have some repro labels made and make a nice filler!

I imagine the fact that it was so close to JFK's could be a coincidence with the writing...it may have been ordered prior to that, especially if it had special ordered cigars in it. If it came full, I imagine they were some quality stogies!