23rd Engineers Helmet

Sparty On

This is a recent purchase of a 23rd Engineers unit. In doing some cursory research I found that there were 12 Technical Companies (A-M), 10 Truck Companies (1-10), and 5 Wagon Companies which were located at Camp Meade, Maryland before going to France to rebuild roads and other infrastructure both during and after the war. I also found that the 23rd was made up of mostly African American soldiers, however I don't know if that holds true for each of the 12 Co.'s. This particular helmet has "Truck 5" at the top of the unit mark. Does anyone know if this truck company is specific to one certain regiment of the 23rd?

post-104736-0-96270500-1369099103.jpg

post-104736-0-30861800-1369099254.jpg

The 23rd Engineers was not a "colored" unit according to the OOB. Most of the African-American Engineer units were Service Battalions and were numbered in the 500s.

The company history of Co. C states that the 2nd Truck Co. was attached to it, but it's not clear that it was on a permanent basis (though the 2nd Truck turns up pretty frequently in the history). It also mentions that African-American labor units were attached as well.

AEF,

This caption also states this group was "attached" to the 23rd like you said.

post-104736-0-43663400-1369101440.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

WW1 Army transport ships rosters both outgoing and incomming can be found on fold3 web site. This site is a good source of information for just about all wars and those that served. My grandfather served in Company F, 23rd Engineer Regiment from September 20, 1917 to honorable discharge on June 27, 1919. The regiment was sent to France on a number of different ships starting with Technical Companies A,B,C, Truck Companies 1 and 2, Wagon Companies 1 and 2 followed a couple months later by the rest of the Regiment on the transport ship George Washington. Battle participation for the regiment were Toul sector, 23 Feb. to 11 Sep. 1918, St. Mihiel offensive 12 Sep 1918 to 16 Sep. 1918, Meuse-Argonne offensive 26 Sep. 1918 to Nov. 11 1918. A number of the 23rd Engineer officers did submit their war experience "Officers report" from each company that provides the experiences of the companies in which they served. Enlisted were able to submit their experience as well on discharge. There is a listing by company/regiment on the transport ships both outgoing and incoming that provides Rank, Dates, contacts with address and state of each person. The 23rd Engineers were from every state in the union as well as territories.

Hope this helps,

Frac