ASSOC. MILITARY DENTAL SURGEONS OF U.S.

frederick

ASSOCIATION OF MILITARY DENTAL SURGEONS OF THE U.S.

A specialty group that took a little looking to learn about them. From the Army Medical Corps history, we learn dentists were not a recognized part of the Army until 1901 when a small group of dentists (less than 50) served the Medical Corps on a contract basis until 1911 when dentist could be commissioned into the Army. A recommendation to the Surgeon General for improving the Dental Corps in 1915 mentions the Association of Military Dental Surgeons of the U.S. by name. So we have at least a ball park date for the creation of this group. A Google search of related fields shows this group as still existing today.

The badge of the society, the only type I have seen, has the look of badges from WWI to WWII, but may date to a slightly earlier origin. It carries the manufactures mark of BB&B, the mark of the famous Bailey, Banks and Biddle jewelers of Philadelphia. This firm made many high end hereditary society badges, military society badges and military decorations during this time period. Although the group chose an outstanding maker for the time, the badge reflects several economic features for a group with limited resources. The badge is marked with the word BRONZE and the ribbon is plain colored. The attaching safety pin is neatly sewn onto the ribbon, but could be a later replacement. I have only seen one other badge of this group and it also had the plain ribbon so I assume it is genuine to the badge. I was unable to examine the backside of the second badge. (The white spot on the back of the illustrated badge is an old price label I have yet to remove.)

The badge may also exist in gold, a supply feature of the maker. Do not know if the current group still has a badge available to it membership.

post-1633-1206631910.jpg

kiaiokalewa

Not to long ago I had on this forum a M-1923 conversion US Army Reserve 98th Division Officers tunic ribbons identified in the awards /medals section. I was told that the third ribbon from the right (red/buff/red) is also called the AMDS of the U.S. So I guess during the 1920's the Association used this color scheme. Aloha John

post-1384-1206635335.jpg

Thanks for the reply John. A change of ribbon has happened before. The Disabled American Veterans had a plain blue ribbon until the mid-1930s when they added yellow stripes near the edge. The ribbon is also very similar to the Association of Military Surgeons of the U.S. (the medical doctor's group). Also surprised to see the Reserve Officers Association ribbon on the chest. Was uncertain how old the group was (they have a website, but access is restricted). The Forum is a great site, but one has to check other areas. Uniform and ribbon collectors have vet ribbons and medal collectors get vet medals in their combat medals groups.

Frederick

• 8 years later...