Connecticut Herald Nov 23, 1813 News from the War of 1812

Connecticut Herald, Tuesday Morning, November 23, 1813. Found this one interesting because it was during the War of 1812 and didn't think to much paper from then had been posted. The articles and the way things were written are just so fascinating to me. If someone would like to see a more complete scan, I would be happy to provide it. I just selected a few articles I found fascinating.

If there is some interest in the old newspaper I will scan more as I find them while unpacking boxes. Much of the newspapers I have are inter-war years from roughly late 1790s-1960s.

Enjoy :)

Enemy Fleet in the Potomac....Attack Pending on Montreal

post-110009-0-60230400-1368935722.jpg

Chief Bast

Amazing to known that once upon a time, the extent of one's knowledge of current events outside the local community was so often times completely depedent on newspapers such as these. It would be like peering through a pinhole compared to the overabundance of resources and communication we have in today's technological world.

Fascinating stuff - thanks for sharing a peek into early 19th Century America!

Some of my older papers, you almost have to get them translated the English language has changed so much. I agree a newspaper then were a small peek in the world and with some smaller papers you can see that with articles about, Sally traveling 20 miles to the next town last weekend to visit her cousin Joe...., type stories. The other thing about older papers is the scams that were being run, such as the lottery and health products. Some things have not changed much in 200 years :) The writing was much more pro-war than you read today as well, it seemed victory was better news than tear-jerker news then.