Marine Corps to change Female Marine Covers/Hats

uplandmod

Jack's Son

Thanks Sharp. With that pic, I can't tell much of a difference. Although that doesn't matter because I'm not wearing it!

Yikes that's the second time I've done that, I need to check dates better! LOL

LF

bunkerhillburning

Is there anything relevant about your comment?? :)

From the last paragraph:

"Although the design is still being finalized, Marines should expect to see the new covers available for purchase in fiscal year 2012"

are these being used for female marines or aren't they? Isn't that relevant to the thread??

Jack's Son

From the last paragraph:

"Although the design is still being finalized, Marines should expect to see the new covers available for purchase in fiscal year 2012"

are these being used for female marines or aren't they? Isn't that relevant to the thread??

It is SO relevant, but nobody else even noticed!! :)

Actually, I noticed it Robin, of course it took until I was reading the follow-up comments and one of the comments stated that it was going to take two years and that it won't be out until 2012. I then scrolled back to the top to see that it was dated 2010. So, where are we on these covers?

Jack's Son

..........I then scrolled back to the top to see that it was dated 2010. So, where are we on these covers?

Has anyone told the Commandant? :o

RustyCanteen

I like it better, not that it affects me. But it has that "vintage" look closer to the old men's caps.

shrapneldude

I'm not sure how widespread they are being worn right now, but I found a few of them at a thrift shop near a Marine installation, so they've been around long enough for their previous owners to get tired of them! haha

RustyCanteen

Or they could just adopt the same for both male and female personnel and do away with having multiple designs.

But it doesn't affect me, so I will leave it to those who wear it to debate and discuss it.

• 4 months later...

8th & I is currently test fielding the idea...however, the Corps is astonishingly against it at something like 85% nay...of course the majority of Marines wanted the rolled sleeves to stay and that didn't stop them from removing that reg

I can't believe active duty females really want to be dressed like men. The male and female bodies ARE different after all, and military uniforms have always accommodated that difference. Why change this? To me, the Sgt Maj. in the link looks like a girl dressed up in men's clothes vice the proud SNCO that I'm sure she is....

RustyCanteen

I can't believe active duty females really want to be dressed like men. The male and female bodies ARE different after all, and military uniforms have always accommodated that difference. Why change this? To me, the Sgt Maj. in the link looks like a girl dressed up in men's clothes vice the proud SNCO that I'm sure she is....

Like I said in my earlier reply to this thread, I'll leave it to those it affects to debate it. However, isn't the purpose of a uniform to look the same? I don't see anything wrong with an attempt to equalize a uniform though.

Just my thoughts,

RC

agate hunter

I believe her uniform does not have pockets (like WWII enlisted man dress blues).

RustyCanteen

Yeah I'm not seeing pockets either.

I don't really see an issue with trying to make the uniforms, well, more uniform though?

RC

From http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20130715/NEWS07/307150018/Uniform-uniformity-Dress-blues-wear-test-could-bring-servicewide-changes

Common dress blues uniforms for Marines, regardless of gender, could be on the horizon pending results of a multimonth wear test underway at Marine Barracks Washington, D.C.

Women stationed there have been wearing men’s white dress covers since the start of this year’s parade season. A select few also are wearing a modified version of the male dress blues jacket featuring its distinctive mandarin-style collar trimmed with the Corps’ gold eagle, globe and anchor insignia.

The experiment began quietly this spring, an initiative led by the commandant, Gen. Jim Amos, and the barracks commander, Col. Christian Cabaniss, said Capt. Jack Norton, a spokesman there. After Aug. 31, the end of parade season, Cabaniss will solicit feedback from the women who tested out the new gear.

For now, only women will be surveyed, Norton said.

usmcblues2.jpg

usmcblues.jpg