MOH ribbon positioning

MMA10mm

I have noticed many photographs of MOH ribbons being incorporated in the top row of a ribbon rack (first place in order of precedence, as it should be). However, I've also seen quite a number of photos such as the one below, where the MOH ribbon was placed in its own row, even when there was space to incorporate it into the top row of the ribbon rack. Was this regulation? If so, during what time period, or was it only certain branch(es) of service?

i06478.jpg

CHASEUSA11B

Not sure but I believe he is wearing the ribbons stacked as to not be obscured by his lapel.

Not sure but I believe he is wearing the ribbons stacked as to not be obscured by his lapel.

As per regulation. I don't know of any specific regulation that says that the MOH must be worn separately; I've seen it mounted on the top row of quite a few racks...but mounted as CHASEUSA11B says in the regulation manner.

Dave

Wow, bouncy responses on this one! First, let me clear up that I am NOT being critical of anyone. Just some questions based on my observations. In fact, my presumption is that these recipients ARE following regulation and I'm just trying to track that down.

To add fuel to my question, here's this picture:

614px-Schilt_CF_USMC.jpg

I will keep searching for more examples and post as I find them.

Wow, bouncy responses on this one! First, let me clear up that I am NOT being critical of anyone. Just some questions based on my observations. In fact, my presumption is that these recipients ARE following regulation and I'm just trying to track that down.

To add fuel to my question, here's this picture:

614px-Schilt_CF_USMC.jpg

I will keep searching for more examples and post as I find them.

Okay...seriously...THAT is strange!!!

Both generals probably bought their jackets on Ebay from some "put together artist."

Undoubtedly!!! :D

I agree with the "who is going to correct them" statement

Here are a couple current ones, same number of rows-different position. I think it just came down to the recipient's choice.

post-110009-0-39983800-1368747577.jpgpost-110009-0-56247300-1368747578.jpg

Merritt Edson:

614px-EdsonMikeRed.jpg

This is a good example that they are not creating a new row to keep the lapel from covering a ribbon, because in his top row of 3, the inboard-most ribbon is about 90% covered by his lapel.

I was starting to think this was a Marine thing, but I finally found an example from another branch (but still naval service):

Rufus_G_Herring.jpg

And, back to Marines, but this photo is especially important to my question:

602px-Rouh_CR.jpg

Note this is dress blues! No collar to demand arrangement of the rows to keep the lapel from covering the ribbons.

The only non-naval service example I've found so far:

scan0002.jpg

(Note that when moving rows outboard to prevent the lapel from covering the inboard ribbons, the rows are not centered on the 3-ribbon rows below. Rather, the outboard edge of the outboard ribbons are lined up. If the MOH ribbon were following this rule, it should be moved towards the armhole seam, yet it is centered on the 2-ribbon row below it, indicating its placement is following a different rule.)

My thought is that this is such a unique/rare circumstance (to wear an MOH ribbon), that either, it is unpublished and explained/disclosed to the recipients, or it's a reg. buried so deep, it's hard for the excellent researchers here to find.

I wish 4starchris would weigh in, or at least ask at the next gathering of the MOH recipients if he attends it...

I will also say, as I've gone through the recipients by award period, I've noticed that this manner of wear is most prevalent among WWII recipients, even though they are wearing them this way after the Korean era and even into the Vietnam era.

5312. RIBBONS

1. Manner of Wearing. Ribbons are worn on the service coat or jumper of Dress Blue and Dress White, and on the shirt of Service Khaki, Summer White, Winter Blue, and Tropical White. Ribbons are not authorized on formal dress, dinner dress, or working uniforms. Wear up to three ribbons in a single row. When more than three ribbons are authorized, wear them in horizontal rows of three each. If ribbons are not in multiples of three, the top row contains the lesser number, and the center of this row sits over the center of the one below it. Wear ribbons without spaces between ribbons or rows of ribbons. Wear ribbons with the lower edge of the bottom row centered 1/4 inch above the left breast pocket and parallel to the deck. To prevent coat lapels from covering ribbons, ribbons may be aligned so the border to wearer's left is aligned with left side of pocket. Rows of ribbons where more than 50% of the ribbon is covered by the coat lapel may contain two ribbons each and be aligned with left border. On Full Dress uniforms, <see article 5313>.

From Navy Uniform Regulations..I would not be surprised that Army and Air Force regs are similar.

firefighter

Wouldn't mind having one of this e 1/2" MOH ribbons.Just not worth going to jail for.I don't know who the AF officer is but I like his picture.AF uniform with the Army MOH.Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't he have switched to the AF style when it was finally issued?

BigJohn#3RD

Wouldn't mind having one of this e 1/2" MOH ribbons.Just not worth going to jail for.I don't know who the AF officer is but I like his picture.AF uniform with the Army MOH. Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't he have switched to the AF style when it was finally issued?

No he could not change it as it was issued by the Army and not the Air Force. If you have ever looked at Marine personnel who were decorated by the Army with the Citation Star or DSC to include multiple awards, they have Oak Leaf Clusters and not Star do donate additional awards denoting awards in the WWI.

Contrary to some folks including CSMs regulations are guide lines and as far as the placement of the Medal Of Honor Ribbon, placing it by itself on a separate row is showing of respect to the award by the individual wearing the award. The Marine General wearing the award above the Navy Pilot Wings is differently different but I'm sure he had his reasons so I guess you who find it odd or unbecoming just have to live with it; as he received the award, is a general officer and therefore pretty much do what he wants when it comes to displaying the award. I have seen Medal of Honor Recipients wear just the MOH ribbon when everyone else is wearing all their awards and decorations and in a way I think it speaks volumes about the award itself.

Regards,

John