54 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lightninghawk_*

Guest_lightninghawk_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 5

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:55 AM

C_1EARYTPRO_1.jpg

Attention collectors!
If you have interst in the WWII C-1 survival vest, please take a look at the new C-1 Vest Collectors Site! Here you will find tons of information, and pictures of the items that were included in the vest! Cheers! Michael Minovich

http://lightninghawkmilitaria.com/

#2 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 2,156
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

That is an excellent site. Thank you for the effort required to set that up and for the link to it.

#3 Plant#4

Plant#4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75
  • 611 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:29 AM

Nice site, I will be a frequent vistor. Dave

#4 Gregory

Gregory
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,107
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:37 AM

Michael - Bravo! What an excellent initiative! I have always been interested in every detail of C-1 and now I will be a visitor of your site many times.

Thanks a lot for the link at USMF.

Best regards

Greg

#5 Pmuranyi

Pmuranyi
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,604
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

WWW.warrelics.com has a complete vest. All the gear. it is expensive at 2250 or so. But if you want to buy all at once, this is the only place that I have seen sell it.
Paul

#6 carrabassett

carrabassett
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,470
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

This is a great site and Michael has done a nice job on it with continued updates. I have also bought items from him and he is great to work with and willing to share info as can be seen from this site. Highly recommended!

#7 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,604
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

I've got a 2nd/3rd variant Sears & Roebuck vest and to date it is the only one I've seen with four snaps as a front closure instead of the 3 button front. Anyone else ever seen a C-1 with a snap front?

Jon

#8 carrabassett

carrabassett
  • Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

No, only the repro ones. Does yours have a three string tie back?
Jim

#9 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

No, only the repro ones. Does yours have a three string tie back?
Jim

Sure does. Picked this one up in 1993 when I started collecting AAF stuff. It is an original, of that I'm sure.

#10 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

Here's my vest. I added the holster, which is an original, purchased separately. Sewn on with original thread from a 44 dated spool.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/cobrahistorian/IMG_1072.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/cobrahistorian/IMG_1073.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/cobrahistorian/IMG_1074.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/cobrahistorian/IMG_1075.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/cobrahistorian/IMG_1076.jpg

#11 Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian
  • Members
    • Member ID: 15,482
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

Bueller?

#12 lightninghawk

lightninghawk
  • New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

Hello Jon, Yes I ahve seen the vst with snaps on the fron instead of buttons, these were very late more modifications, for more on these vest please visit my new website lightninghawkmilitaria.com sitewill be up first week July 2012 Cheers! Michael

#13 lightninghawk

lightninghawk
  • New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hello Jon, Yes I have seen the vest with snaps on the front instead of buttons, these were very late more modifications, for more on these vest please visit my new website lightninghawkmilitaria.net site will be up first week July 2012 Cheers! Michael

Edited by lightninghawk, 26 June 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#14 lightninghawk

lightninghawk
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 1,523
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

C_1EARYTPRO_1.jpg

Attention collectors!
If you have interst in the WWII C-1 survival vest, please take a look at the new C-1 Vest Collectors Site! Here you will find tons of information, and pictures of the items that were included in the vest! Cheers! Michael Minovich

http://lightninghawkmilitaria.net/

#15 Copran

Copran
  • Members
    • Member ID: 129,049
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

Hi,

I got this C-1 vest from a coworker from his grandpa, I can identify it as the late variation of the 2nd model of the C-1 vest. I'm wondering how much the market price is for such item.

Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Mashsig

Mashsig
  • Members
    • Member ID: 129,049
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

On another topic (  http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/182066-aaf-survival-vest/  )  I mentioned Cobrahistorian's C-1 vest and speculated how it could have been made with snaps instead of the Bakelite buttons.

Dustin pointed out that my time line focus was not precisely clear - so I will be very clear before I speculate about Cobrahistorian's C-1 vest with some facts:

Fact number 1: in 1947 Congress established the United States Air Force as a separate and distinct branch of the Armed Forces of the United States.

Fact number 2: on page 285 of the October 1954 AF Manual 64-4, Handbook for Survival Training and Personal Equipment - "VEST ASSEMBLY - EMERGENCY SUSTENANCE TYPE C-1  Property Class: 20-B" is listed and depicted.

Fact number 3: DOD contractors do not "throw out" government property, until the government tells them to "scrap" the material.  This includes all procured materials, partially completed assemblies and all "in-process" work etc.

Fact number 4: Any incomplete Army C-1 Vest Assemblies that were still in the "government property" storage room at contract end would have to be "scrapped" or DD 250.

Fact number 5: Any new Air Force contracts would have required the AAF logo to be removed.  (********* 64-4, Oct 1954, page 285 depicts a first pattern C-1 Vest without the AAF logo.)

Fact number 6: Sears was a company still in business when the Air Force was established in 1947. 

Fact number 7:  The Army was hard pressed to provide Army pilots in the late 1950s and early 1960s with aviation life support equipment.  (Ref: Aviation Digest)

Inescapable conclusion:  The U.S. Air Force continued procurement of the Army's C-1 Vest.

Logical deduction: At least 1 of the original companies (probably more) resumed manufacturing these vests for the Air Force.  

Speculation:  A Sears made C-1 vest with AAF logo that was not completed by the end of hostilities in 1945 when the contracts were cancelled, would have been stored in the "Government Property" room awaiting disposition.  These uncompleted C-1 Vests were either DD 250 to the Army or "scrapped".   If Sears "scrapped" them - someone at the plant probably took them home.  If Sears DD 250 them to the Army - then the uncompleted C-1 vests would have been transferred to the Air Force.  So it is possible that Air Force "ST and PE Section" personnel "finished" original C-1 vests.

Cobrahistorian's vest is interesting because the AAF logo is clear and there were no button holes made.  Cobrahistorian did not indicate whether or not the holster had been removed on his vest i.e., stitch hole marks and fading where the vest had been.

#17 Mashsig

Mashsig
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,413
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

Error: "Fact number 4: Any incomplete Army C-1 Vest Assemblies that were still in the "government property" storage room at contract end would have to be "scrapped" or DD 250."

Should have been:

Fact number 4: Any incomplete Army C-1 Vest Assemblies that were still in the "government property" storage room at contract cancellation would have to be maintained until the "government" ordered the material to be "scrapped" or delivered on a DD 250.

#18 Survival

Survival
  • Members
    • Member ID: 56
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

As I understand your post you are stating that the U. S. A. F.  resumed new production of the C 1 Survival Vest after 1947? 

#19 dustin

dustin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 56
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

Inescapable conclusion:  The U.S. Air Force continued procurement of the Army's C-1 Vest.

Logical deduction: At least 1 of the original companies (probably more) resumed manufacturing these vests for the Air Force.  

Show me a vest that has a post WWII contract.

Aircraft Appliance vests can be found with missing pockets like the Sears model.

#20 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

1947 Field and Stream, War surplus add
image.jpg

Edited by dustin, 18 August 2013 - 08:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)