Writing Found On HGU-56

Littleguy

I was looking at the paint on my helmet when I realized it wasn't original to the helmet. I started to do some careful stripping (mind you my intention for this helmet is to become a custom painted one for a project) and found what appears to be "O-cmcked", with the dash being something I can't read. The writing was in a pinkish color. I'm not too sure if it means something. There appears to be a dent on the helmet, or at least an uneven patch of paint that looked cracked.

For those of you who think I'm helmet killing, don't worry. I'm going to be purchasing more flight helmets when I get the money up after getting my sports bike permit and license (and a sports bike lol). I just want ONE piece to screw around with, and I have it. The helmet itself was not used in any conflicts, or by anyone notable. If it was a piece with history I would've preserved it, but... that was not the case.

Any ideas?

northcoastaero

I have had helmet shells in the past that have had a circle (or O) around a crack in the shell and marked "cracked" next to the circled (or O) crack. Maybe this is the same way of marking cracks on helmet

shells?

That actually seems right because there was a circle right around a crack. Thank you!

I have had helmet shells in the past that have had a circle (or O) around a crack in the shell and marked "cracked" next to the circled (or O) crack. Maybe this is the same way of marking cracks on helmet

shells?

When we find voids in the helmet, it is marked and the shell stripped for condemnation. Take a nickle and tap the helmet outside the circle and then tap into it and you will find a difference in sound. It will be a sharp click and when you get to the void, it will turn into a dull thump.

Sounds like someone used a pink paint pin to do the work. If it was painted over, sounds like someone took a condemned helmet shell, painted it over and then tried passing it off as a good helmet.

Did what you said to, and there it was right in the circled spot. As I was stripping the shell down past the primer, I didn't spot any cracks or oddities in the spot though. Is there a way to visually spot the defect?

The painting on it was very professionally done, and even odder it had lots of wear and tear like it had been used for a good while. The only giveaway it wasn't the original is one spot where it was kind of blotchy, like an airbrush mess up. The paint was an almost exact match to the original, which makes me wonder if someone just painted over it and used it anyways.

It's all pretty interesting, and thank you!

When we find voids in the helmet, it is marked and the shell stripped for condemnation. Take a nickle and tap the helmet outside the circle and then tap into it and you will find a difference in sound. It will be a sharp click and when you get to the void, it will turn into a dull thump.

Sounds like someone used a pink paint pin to do the work. If it was painted over, sounds like someone took a condemned helmet shell, painted it over and then tried passing it off as a good helmet.

There is no observable defect, it is just a void in the material. If you cut into the material, you would find a slight separation in the material. As for the paint, it is a CARC touch-up and designed to match the original color. Sounds like someone took a defective shell, spray painted it with the touch up paint and then sold it off as a good helmet. If you paint it back over, you will have a good display helmet, but it shouldn't be used for actual flight.