Korean War Purple Heart Engraved to soldier wounded on 8 NOV 1950

19delta-uav

19delta-uav

Picked up this grouping recently from a picker friend. The only information I have been able to find is that Marvin Died in 1977 while stationed at Letterkenny Army Depot. I am eager to understand what unit he was with, how he got three purple hearts and a silver star, or any other information that someone can tell me about this grouping. I greatly appreciate the help as always!

post-3881-0-80371100-1366936941.jpg

post-3881-0-17530700-1366936947.jpg

Some sort of special unit ? I think ASU stands for Army Special unit ! can't seem to find any info on it ? Maybe a military advisor unit ?

Some sort of special unit ? I think ASU stands for Army Special unit ! can't seem to find any info on it ? Maybe a military advisor unit ?

Army Service Unit is more likely. Many units were designated like this in that period.

19delta-uav

Thanks for all the great responses! Here is all I found online....

-Marvin Derryberry 1931 - 1977 was a member of the Derryberry family. Marvin was born on June 17, 1931. Marvin died on April 1977 at 45 years old.

-MARVIN DERRYBERRY was born 17 June 1931, got Social Security number 227-44-2684 (indicating Virginia,) and died April 1977.

-HARDEMAN COUNTY, TN - CEMETERIES - VERNON CEMETERY, Marvin Ray Derryberry 1932-1977

-Shirley M. Derryberry Brenize, 77, of Chambersburg, PA, passed away Thursday afternoon, November 8, 2012 at Hershey Medical Center. Born April 4, 1935 in Chambersburg, she was a daughter of the late Harry A., Sr. and Hazel C. Holtry Truett. Shirley lived her early life in Chambersburg where she met and married her first husband, the late Marvin R. Derryberry, who was stationed with the US Army at Letterkenny Army Depot. Mr. Derryberry passed away in 1977. After living 17 years in Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, she moved back to Chambersburg where she met and married her second husband, the late George J. Brenize, who passed away in 1995. Shirley worked as a Nursing Assistant at the former Piney Mountain Nursing Home and for Lutheran Social Services, as well as providing private duty nursing in some area homes prior to retiring. She was a member of The Open Door Church where for many years she served as head of the Hospitality Ministry, preparing meals for many different occasions. She also served on the Door Greeter Ministry. She is survived by her son, Darryl G. Derryberry and wife Debbie of Old Hickory, TN; two grand-daughters, Wanda Beth Wilson and Shannon Lee Derryberry; three great-granddaughters, and one great-grandson. She is also survived by two sisters, Dolores Hughes and Carol L. Lowery and husband Donald, all of Chambersburg; as well as several nieces and nephews. In addition to her parents and husbands, she was preceded in death by an infant son, Carroll Dean Derryberry; a sister, Betty Jane Truett; a brother, Harry A. Truett, Jr. Funeral services will be held at 11:30 AM Tuesday November 13, 2012 in the Chapel of Thomas L. Geisel Funeral Home and Cremation Center, 333 Falling Spring Road, Chambersburg, PA with Rev. Mike Sanders officiating. Interment will follow at Lincoln Cemetery. The family will receive friends from 7:00-9:00 PM Monday at the funeral home. Memorial contributions may be made to Hospice of the Good Shepherd, 2700 Luther Drive, Chambersburg, PA 17202, Cumberland Valley Animal Shelter, 2325 Country Road, Chambersburg, PA 17202, or to The Open Door Church, 600 Miller Street, Chambersburg, PA 17201. Condolences and memories may be shared on her Book of Memories page at www.geiselfuneralhome.com

• 3 weeks later...
themedalluminary

Hello, You can go online and there is a Purple Heart site for Korean War Veterans. I have many of the Korean War KIA, WIA and Purple Hearts on this site and some information on them and being wounced or killed. The engraving on your medal is great it was probably done in a jeweler or store in Japan or Korea privately by the Veteran after the war was over. I have seen other Korean War Purple Hearts with privately done engraving on the back with date and place of the wound. I hope this helps. Nick

Captainofthe7th

He does not appear in NARAs Korean War casualty records...interesting. I can't find anything else about him. I don't know what to tell you.

Nice grouping, I'll keep looking for more info.

Rob