What's your favorite General Officer nickname?

ReverendJake

ReverendJake

I happen to be partial to Ridgeways nickname, "Old iron t#ts". He acquired that nickname from wearing two grenades at a time on the D rings of his suspenders.

"Hancock the Superb" Winfield Scott Hancock so named for his command of the battlefield on the first day at Gettysburg.

Confederate General John Bell Hood, who was known as "Old Wooden Head"!

post-2801-0-44974500-1366920111.jpg

Confederate General Richard S. Ewell (pronounced "ule"), commander of the 2nd Corps. Army of Northern Virginia. Know as Richard "Baldy" Ewell.

post-2801-0-86687500-1366920294.jpg

Confederate General James Longstreet, commander of the 1st Corps, Army of Northern Virginia. Affectionately known as "Old Pete".

post-2801-0-64010600-1366920436.jpg

Confederate General John S. Mosby, known as the "Gray Ghost".

post-2801-0-09363300-1366920584.jpg

Commander of the Army of Northern Virginia, General Robert Edward Lee. Early in the war, his men referred to him as "Granny Lee", and "King of Spades" because of his fondness of entrenching. Soon, his men respected him as one of the greatest military commanders in American history. Some referred to him as the "Marble Man".

post-2801-0-78345600-1366920850.jpg

General John "Blackjack" Pershing.

post-2801-0-72803600-1366921019.jpg

And the Civil War had their own "Blackjack". General John "Blackjack" Logan.

post-2801-0-78538700-1366921203.jpg

One more .... William Tecumseh Sherman, who was known by his men as "Uncle Billy"!

post-2801-0-65686300-1366921307.jpg

Can I sneak one of ours in here? General (later Field Marshall) Bernard Law Montgomery aka "Monty". Thanks!

post-8022-0-72113000-1366920170.jpg

ReverendJake

General John "Blackjack" Pershing.

I had a bus driver in junior high who looked almost exactly like Pershing, he was n engineer during the development of the minuteman missile, I have a couple gov't issue mechanical pencils that he gave me, I ought to post them sometime. Sorry, off topic.

The French called him the "Red Napoleon" after the defeat at Dien Bien Phu

Gen VO NGUYEN GIAP

Uncle Ho / Ho Chi Minh the founder of the Viet Minh formed in China in 1941

post-1885-0-56633500-1366926899.jpg

Rakkasan187

What, no "Dugout Doug"... Scott

Scott,

I was thinking about posting him.. Watched "MacArthur" last night on TV...

Leigh

Omar Bradley - "GI's general".

Some notes...

Unlike some of the more colorful generals of World War II, Bradley was polite and courteous in his public appearances. A reticent man, Bradley was first favorably brought to public attention by war correspondent Ernie Pyle, who was urged by General Eisenhower to "go and discover Bradley". Pyle subsequently wrote several dispatches in which he referred to Bradley as the GI's general, a title that would stay with Bradley throughout his remaining career.

Will Lang Jr. of Life magazine said "The thing I most admire about Omar Bradley is his gentleness. He was never known to issue an order to anybody of any rank without saying 'Please' first."

Marshall, who was also a critic of George S. Patton, noted that Bradley's 'common man' image "was played up by Ernie Pyle...The GI's were not impressed with him. They scarcely knew him. He's not a flamboyant figure and he didn't get out much to troops. And the idea that he was idolized by the average soldier is just rot."

vostoktrading

"Jumpin Jim" Gavin, 82nd Airborne Division on the right. Matt Ridgeway (18th Airborne Corps) on the left (Ole Iron T**s from post one).

post-7885-0-61876400-1366937268.jpg

ReverendJake

"Jumpin Jim" Gavin, 82nd Airborne Division on the right. Matt Ridgeway (18th Airborne Corps) on the left (Ole Iron T**s from post one).

I know a paratrooper who was with the 325th on D-Day and the 505th for Market Garden, he loved "Jumpin' Jim". He really liked that he carried a Garand, just like an average GI.

ReverendJake

One that has been overlooked, Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller. A great Marine! Scott.

That one sure did stick!