brandon_rss18 finds

brandon_rss18

brandon_rss18

Finally found some thing that I think were worth buying. First I found a belt with canteen on it. Took the canteen out and it is dated 1942, the pot it sits in under the canteen in the pouch says 1945 so i dont think they go together. Then I found a really cool little 15th Air Force sweetheart pin, or I think it is. Last I found this combat knife. I need some help with this one as I am not an expert on bladed weapons. The base of the blade says U.S. CAMILLUS N.Y., and has the leather handle, also have the scabbard. Any info on the things I found today would really be appreciated.

post-2378-1206236281.jpg

post-2378-1206236291.jpg

post-2378-1206236300.jpg

post-2378-1206236306.jpg

post-2378-1206236315.jpg

usncollector

The knife is a WWII era MK2 knife, most commonly associated with the naval branches. The leather scabbards are getting more difficult to acquire in good shape, as yours is. A very nice find!

brandon_rss18

thats cool, im excited, we had to drive out of town to go to small town antique stores to find these items, but it seems it was worth it, this is the first time I have ever "found" anything, I have to go back

Actually the knife marked US over CAMILLUS NY on the blade is a later version, made between the mid 1960s and the mid 1970s. After then the marking was changed to just US over CAMILLUS without the NY.

The WW2 versions made either for the Marines or the Navy would be marked either USMC or USN / MARK 2 with CAMILLUS NY on the other side of the blade.

brandon_rss18

thanks gary, kinda hurts as i only collect ww2 items, would you still consider it a good find? I know nothing of Vietnam era militaria

I agree with bayonetman.This is a post WW2 knife.Often used Viet Nam era.You will see the US over Camillius,Connetta,Utica.These all are post WW2 markings when the US is over these manufacturers.You may find one with US Ontario also.Ontario actually got the contract to produce a Mk2 model in 1980.One other tell on the later era knives is many of the Camillius knives Ive seen have a dark handle and sheath.I assume this was the treatment they put on for mold and fungus resistance.

Nice finds Brandon thumbsup.gif

Also, the 1942 canteen and the 1945 canteen cup would go together. It's not uncommon at all to have equipment with various dates of manufacture. Is the canteen cover dated?

-Matt.

brandon_rss18

well i think then i will put it in the trade section, need something ww2 lol Im very mind set, thank you guys for all the info on this knife. One more question, what do these usually go for? How much do you think mine with the scabbard would be worth to a Vietnam collector?

brandon_rss18

The knife is now in the for trade section, thank you guys so much for your input, I love learning something new everyday.

Personally, if you like it, and it is what you want to collect, it is worth buying. I learned this living around people who think I was always wasting my money on that helmet or that uniform. But hey, I LIKE IT. And after that who really cares? Nice finds though if it makes you feel better. thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...
brandon_rss18

Me and my fiance went out of town to her cousins house in Cleburne Texas and while there we passed a little antique store and this is what i bought from there.

post-2378-1207505477.jpg post-2378-1207505487.jpg

post-2378-1207505495.jpg post-2378-1207505504.jpg

post-2378-1207505513.jpg post-2378-1207505519.jpg

brandon_rss18

Could someone who has the means please look up the name on the plaque and tell me what they find out about him? Just wondering if he served in Korea, would really appreciate it, thanks yall

Me and my fiance went out of town to her cousins house in Cleburne Texas and while there we passed a little antique store and this is what i bought from there.

Hehehehe :lol: you were in my neck of the woods! We have a slew of little malls and shops around here and its hard to keep up with them all. Dave

• 1 month later...
brandon_rss18

Got these items at an out of town antique store today. I believe the good conduct medal to be a later made model, not WW2 original, but hey, 50 cents!!! But the postcard is what I thought was cool.

post-2378-1210473235.jpg

4 ration books, all have some stamps, one is full!

post-2378-1210473249.jpg

Here is the post card. It was sent to a H. G. Iles of Port Arthur, TX from a Pvt. G. C. Hughes. He has his # on here and it is 38541985. He was stationed at Camp Santa Anita in Arcadia, CA. The stamp on the front is dated April 18, 1944.

post-2378-1210473265.jpg

And here is the back, it reads:

Hello Hal, Thought you might enjoy looking at a a nice looking picture while working 11-7. Went to Hollywood Sunday, had a nice time. Saw a few actors + actresses including "Cooney" Dorothy Lamour, Chester Morris and Allen Ladd. Did not stay for the show at Earl Carroll's, but was there in the afternoon for the free dancing. Am planning on going back next Sunday. How are you and the draft board getting along? Yours truly, Gill.

post-2378-1210473285.jpg

post-2378-1210473296.jpg

post-2378-1210473305.jpg

brandon_rss18

Oh, and if someone could lok him up by his serial number, I would appreciate it, Thanks guys.

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-detail....amp;rid=7400892

Name: Cecil C. Hughes

SSN: 459-03-0015

Last Residence: 78602 Bastrop, Bastrop, Texas, United States of America

Born: 26 Aug 1906

Died: 10 Apr 1988

State (Year) SSN issued: Texas (Before 1951

Name: Cecil C Hughes

Birth Year: 1906

Race: White, citizen (White)

Nativity State or Country: Texas

State: Texas

County or City: Jefferson

Enlistment Date: 14 Aug 1943

Enlistment State: Texas

Enlistment City: Houston

Branch: No branch assignment

Branch Code: No branch assignment

Grade: Private

Grade Code: Private

Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)

Source: Civil Life

Education: 4 years of high school

Civil Occupation: Divers Helper

Marital Status: Married

Height: 00

Weight: 000