USMC Phantom Driver Helmet

gap

northcoastaero

Nice helmet. Probably started out as an APH-6A and then modified with the plastic earcups and dual visor assy. to make it an APH-6C. The dual visor assy. has the earlier fiberglass housing with visor stops

at the bottom of the tracks. Also, the clear visor is the outer visor and the dark visor is the inner visor on

this earlier dual visor kit. VMFA-314 flew the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II aircraft during the

1960s. I had a 1960s era modified APH-5 from VMFA-314 at one time.

You are correct with that assessment. The helmet belonged to my father-in-law, who flew 157 combat missions with this beauty! The paint under the flat black is medium blue, representing his time with VMFA-122 Crusaders.

Nice helmet and full of history. Thank you for sharing. Any other stuff to display from your father-in-law, please?

Franck

• 1 month later...
PA Leatherneck

From the photo it looks like he might have also been with VMFA-333 "TRIP TREY" of MAG-31 at MCAS Beaufort, SC. I was in VMFA-451 which was located next door to 333 at Beaufort. No sure if there are any other planes behind "SHAMROCK 06" but it looks like 451 "Warlord's" hangar behind it.

Good eye Ski -- he was in fact with the Trip Treys at Beaufort! Also a short stint with the Crusaders (now politically corrected to "Werewoves") out of Chu Lai.