KIA Guadalcanal

tarbridge

I picked up some items the other day and this picture was included.

Pfc Francis E.Drake,Jr.

service# 299871

from Massachusetts

KIA: 9 Oct 1942 Guadalcanal

P1010003.JPG

Nice to have a photo with a name, even better a hero. Thanks for sharing.

He was awarded the Silver Star on 9 Oct 1942 for his actions.Robert

From Ancestry.com, not much else on him:

Francis E Drake Jr

Inducted From: Massachusetts Rank: Private First Class Combat Organization: United States Marine Corps Death Date: 9 Oct 1942 Monument: Fort William Mckinley, Manila, the Philippines Last Known Status: Missing U.S. Awards: Purple Heart Medal

Silver Star Medal

• 2 months later...
seeker3773

Tarbridge, I have some information about this veteran that I think will interest you greatly. Can you please email me at [email protected] and I'll fill you in on what I just found out. I think it's going to absolutely amaze you!

• 3 months later...

Francis Drake's body, as well as the remains of two other Marines he was buried with on Guadalcanal were found by a man putting in a foundation pad on teh 71st anniversary of the 3 men being KIA...on the exact anniversary! PFC Drake's remains had his dogtag with them; the other two had no ID but records show they were all buried together.

None of the remains have been positively been ID'ed as of yet - probably be two years before that is done.

The other two Marines was PFC Harry Clark Morrissey and Private Albert Leroy Bernes. All three were in Chesty Puller's 1st Bn, 7th Marine Regiment but in different companies.

Rick Lawrence, MSgt., USMC/USAFR (RET)